Replacement for Cubicle 7's forums?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
thorr-kan
Ogre

Replacement for Cubicle 7's forums?

Post by thorr-kan » Thu May 31, 2018 3:10 am

So, Cubicle 7 shut down their forums in response to GDPR. Due to the holiday weekend and some family illnesses, I missed the shutdown.

Anybody got suggestions for where the forums migrated to?

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Re: Replacement for Cubicle 7's forums?

Post by Coronoides » Thu May 31, 2018 3:19 am

I’d like to know too.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 31, 2018 10:43 pm

Darkanth made a topic called Cubicle 7 Forums closing 28th May! on the 18th of May (shortly before their forums closed) and I popped over and said they would all be most welcome over here.

(I also suggested they get someone to make an archive of the forums over there, while they still could.)

We have had a few sign-ups since then, but not in sufficient volume to indicate that a significant percentage of them are coming here.

They were talking about a number of other forums. I remember someone pointing out the special sets of forums that RPG Geek attach to product lines (for people to add reviews and so on). So, some of them might be trying to turn those special mini-forums into communities. You could try there. :)

Hopefully, if the bulk of them have gone to somewhere else together, one of them will pop over and let us know where they are.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi all,
I am new to this forum, having heard of it on the C7 forum shortly before its shutdown. I have a long-lasting association with RPG's in Middle-earth that dates back many years now. Reading the topics and contributions here I think it is a good place and hopefully I may give you some input or ideas. I'll browse through the threads so far to see whether I may contribute anything useful there :)

Best
Tolwen (Thomas)
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:43 pm
They were talking about a number of other forums. I remember someone pointing out the special sets of forums that RPG Geek attach to product lines (for people to add reviews and so on). So, some of them might be trying to turn those special mini-forums into communities. You could try there. :)

Hopefully, if the bulk of them have gone to somewhere else together, one of them will pop over and let us know where they are.
The majority (if there is any) seems to have indeed migrated to RPG Geek. Check out this forum for more details. If it is even remotely similar to the now defunct C7 forum, it will be a very system-specific community there (i.e. almost exclusively TOR, with its canon and support).
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:09 am

Hey, Tolwen! I definitely recognize your name from MERP/etc mailing lists. Welcome! We have the building blocks of a great Middle-earth community, here.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:52 am

Hi Falconer!
Falconer wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:09 am
Hey, Tolwen! I definitely recognize your name from MERP/etc mailing lists. Welcome! We have the building blocks of a great Middle-earth community, here.
I'm looking forward to contributing here what I can :)

Big Mac wrote:We have had a few sign-ups since then, but not in sufficient volume to indicate that a significant percentage of them are coming here.
IMO that is mostly due to the fact that this forum is not TOR-centric.

Best
Tolwen
---

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 pm

Tolwen wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:52 am
Hi Falconer!
Falconer wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:09 am
I'm looking forward to contributing here what I can :)
Glad to have you here! :)

Big Mac wrote:We have had a few sign-ups since then, but not in sufficient volume to indicate that a significant percentage of them are coming here.
IMO that is mostly due to the fact that this forum is not TOR-centric.

Best
Tolwen
If there are enough TOR specific threads, a bespoke TOR subforum could be created.

The main rule for having new forums created is as follows:
Ten threads with meaningful content.
* At least five different individuals being initiators and/or meaingful content contributors on these threads.
Also, someone must request the forum to be created in this thread. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 pm

As I see it, the community from the C7 forums (or its remains/"refugees") seem to have decided on RPG Geek as their new home. Of course it was rushed due to the circumstances, but as one very active member suggested RPG Geek with an already established "TOR corner", the choice was probably an easy one. IMHO they are unlikely to go elsewhere (like here), where everything has to be established from scratch (on RPG Geek there was at least some stuff and people already in place).

I definitely see your point, but due to the points mentioned above I'm skeptical that any substantial TOR community will build here - and especially as The Piazza is labelled as a forum for discussing the worlds for D&D - another game system very different from TOR. IMO this is likely to be a deterrent in addition to the practical points mentioned earlier.

Best
Tolwen
---

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:29 am

Tolwen wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:52 pm
Hi all,
I am new to this forum, having heard of it on the C7 forum shortly before its shutdown. I have a long-lasting association with RPG's in Middle-earth that dates back many years now. Reading the topics and contributions here I think it is a good place and hopefully I may give you some input or ideas. I'll browse through the threads so far to see whether I may contribute anything useful there :)

Best
Tolwen (Thomas)
Hi Tolwen/Thomas,

Welcome to The PIazza! Thanks for accepting our invite. I can see you have already jumped in and contributed to a lot of conversations (and levelled up a couple of times ;) ).

You might want to pop over to Ashtagon's Introduce yourself here topic, say "hi" to the entire Piazza community there and tell people a bit about yourself and the stuff you like.

The Other Minds link in your forum signature looks interesting. I was going to suggest you wrote a topic about it, but I see you already started one called Online fanzine for Middle-earth RPG (and lore). So I'll have to try to catch up with you over there. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Thanks for all the input folks.

I dug up the last Wayback Machine archive of the forum posting, mentioned above. I've got about 15 different TOR/AME solutions mentioned. That's a lot of splintering. I'll post the list and follow up with each forum when I get a chance.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 am

thorr-kan wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:51 pm
I dug up the last Wayback Machine archive of the forum posting, mentioned above. I've got about 15 different TOR/AME solutions mentioned. That's a lot of splintering. I'll post the list and follow up with each forum when I get a chance.
Thanks, it'll be good to see how things develop. By now the RPGGeek site looks a bit quiet, but things have to sort out probably and over time we'll see what comes out of it in the long run.

Best
Tolwen
---

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Tolwen wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 pm
As I see it, the community from the C7 forums (or its remains/"refugees") seem to have decided on RPG Geek as their new home. Of course it was rushed due to the circumstances, but as one very active member suggested RPG Geek with an already established "TOR corner", the choice was probably an easy one. IMHO they are unlikely to go elsewhere (like here), where everything has to be established from scratch (on RPG Geek there was at least some stuff and people already in place).
As long as people find a way to stay in touch, that's the main thing.

The TOR area is kind of isolated from the main part of the RPG Geek forums, but that might actually work out better for the community, if they are inclined to want to stay away from talk of other Middle-earth systems. :)
Tolwen wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:18 pm
I definitely see your point, but due to the points mentioned above I'm skeptical that any substantial TOR community will build here - and especially as The Piazza is labelled as a forum for discussing the worlds for D&D - another game system very different from TOR. IMO this is likely to be a deterrent in addition to the practical points mentioned earlier.
That's a fair point.

The Piazza grew beyond it's roots as a life-boat for fans of about 5-7 unsupported pre-3rd Edition campaign settings within a year of being set up, but you can't get past the fact that the bulk of the fans that came here in the early days are D&D fans.

Perhaps this particular forum might end up attracting more 5th Edition D&D fans that play Middle-earth games. :)

Perhaps folks like yourself will end up being a bridge between casual fans here and more hard-core fans at RPG Geek.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:27 pm
If there are enough TOR specific threads, a bespoke TOR subforum could be created.

The main rule for having new forums created is as follows:
Ten threads with meaningful content.
* At least five different individuals being initiators and/or meaingful content contributors on these threads.
Also, someone must request the forum to be created in this thread. :)
There is that, but I can't honestly see TOR ever getting a bespoke forum at The Piazza.

The setting forums here are "edition neutural" and there isn't any other campaign setting forum with subforums for specific rulesets.

(There are the conversion project forums, but those are projects to help conversions, rather than places where all topics about that ruleset have to go.)

And in the Crunchy Bits forum TOR would suffer from the problem of most (if not all) of the topics about TOR also being topics about Middle-earth. Then we would get into the area of campaign settings trumping rules here. :)

I'm not saying it's impossible, but if most of the other people want to give RPG Geek a go, I think we might see more Middle-earth traffic here, but not a call for spin-off forums.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:24 pm
And in the Crunchy Bits forum TOR would suffer from the problem of most (if not all) of the topics about TOR also being topics about Middle-earth. Then we would get into the area of campaign settings trumping rules here. :)
Actually, this wouldn't probably the case. On the C7 forum most of the topics were about the game itself, its publications (i.e. questions about the adventures etc.) and mechanical questions. Topics about the game world existed, but these were not the focus. But of course there would still be at least some overlap with a system-neutral setting forum.
The community there (as I experienced it) was primarily interested in the game and its canon - at least as far as the number of threads was concerned.

Anyway, as I already said, it's likely an academic question, as RPGGeek seems to be the site now.

Best
Tolwen
---

Return to “Middle-earth”