Online fanzine for Middle-earth RPG (and lore)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Online fanzine for Middle-earth RPG (and lore)

Post by Tolwen » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi all,
I am the editor of a free online fan-/webzine focussing on RPG and (applied) lore topics in and for Middle-earth. Some of you might have heard of it - it is called Other Minds Magazine (OM) and has been running since almost 11 years now.
OM is in the tradition of a predecessor hardcopy magazine called Other Hands (OH) from the 1990's (whose re-engineered hardcopies have been made available as free PDF's on OM's website as well). Both magazines draw their inspiration from the following quote:
J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:"I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama."
- John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, from a letter written to Milton Waldman, ca. 1951 (#131)
Currently we are on a bi-annual schedule (the next Issue should be out by July or August). You may find the link to both its website with the back Issues (18 so far) and the FB group for it, where most of the talk about its topics takes place now (which should not detract you from posting here too of course :) ).
The focus of OM is not a particular game system but the unique setting. Thus we are open for content using whatever system you choose for gaming in Middle-earth. By now, the published contributions with game data have used MERP and TOR (especially in the more recent Issues) mechanics - plus a bit of homebrew stuff.

By now, a very wide selection of topics has been covered in OM ranging from adventures, Ring-lore, continental mapping or demography to historical themes (the Fourth Age) - and many more! Please have a look for yourself - all Issues are downloadable for free and of course you may print them if you wish so.

If anyone of you feels interested in contributing something to OM for D&D rules (or using C7's AME derivative), we would be happy to assist you in getting that ready for one of the next Issues.
OM lives from the content that is submitted by fans, and the more gaming system find their niché here, the better. For us it is the setting that counts - and not the exclusive promotion of a specific system!

And I am happy to answer any questions you might have as well of course :)

Here are the direct links to OM and OH within the overall site:
Other Minds Issues
Other Hands Archive
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Falconer
Troll

Re: Online fanzine for Middle-earth RPG (and lore)

Post by Falconer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:11 am

I’ve always been very impressed with OM. Thanks for reminding us of it!
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:15 am

Falconer wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:11 am
I’ve always been very impressed with OM. Thanks for reminding us of it!
You're welcome :) Has anyone else here previously heard of OM?

Best
Tolwen
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Tolwen wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:15 am
Has anyone else here previously heard of OM?
I had not heard of Other Minds (or Other Hands). And I see you have already done 18 issues, which is pretty impressive! :cool:

Thanks for posting a topic about this.

I'm primarily a Spelljammer fan, and I work on Wildspace: The Spelljammer Fanzine, from time to time, but I often talk to fans of other campaign settings, so if I meet any Middle-earth fans I'll let them know about Other Minds.

I spoke to someone on the Threshold Magazine team a while ago (they make a Mystara fanzine) and they were talking about recyprical adverts with other fanzines. If that sounds like something Other Minds is interested in doing, I could find someone there for you to talk to. :)

EDIT: Threshold Magazine put up posts in the Mystara forum at The Piazza every time they launch a new issue. They also post a "call for contributors" post there for each new theme they want to develop for a future issue. If you wanted to take a look at how they do things and do something similar in this forum, you would be most welcome to. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 pm
I spoke to someone on the Threshold Magazine team a while ago (they make a Mystara fanzine) and they were talking about recyprical adverts with other fanzines. If that sounds like something Other Minds is interested in doing, I could find someone there for you to talk to. :)
That sounds like an interesting idea. At least we can explore the possibilities and make a test. And if both parties can benefit from it - so much the better :)

Best
Tolwen
---

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 am

Good. I'm one of the editors of Threshold Magazine, just to let you know we are aware of this.
I'll check ASAP with the other editors.

GP

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:27 pm

agathokles wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 am
Good. I'm one of the editors of Threshold Magazine, just to let you know we are aware of this.
OK. I'll wait then and enjoy the forum :)

Best
Tolwen
---

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 pm

I've checked with the others, we agree to this cross-advert idea.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Tolwen wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:27 pm
agathokles wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 am
OK. I'll wait then and enjoy the forum :)
...and...
agathokles wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:11 pm
I've checked with the others, we agree to this cross-advert idea.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm

:-D

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Yeah - that's good news indeed! Do you have an established procedure for this kind of thing (formats, standards etc.) or is it a first-timer with us? :)
---

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:27 pm

And being in the right thread and forum - I would be highly interested to have D&D-statted/related Middle-earth content (regardless of D&D version or C7's AME version) in OM. If anyone of you thinks he might have something suitable - I'm all ears and more than willing to provide assisstance for publication :)

Best
Tolwen
---

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi Tolwen,

I'm another editor on Threshold Magazine. We publish as a pdf, and (as Big Mac and agathokles have already mentioned) we sometimes do some cross advertising for other non-for-profit fan based material. I think what typically works best is when the "advert" is produced as a high resolution .png image. That way we can size and fit according to the fanzine's needs.

I'm including a couple of example "adverts" below so that you can get a better idea of what we work with.

Wildspace Advert

Vaults of Pandius Advert

Hopefully that helps!

EDIT: Just went over to check out your fanzine and I have to say it is absolutely gorgeous! Keep up the great work!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Chimpman!
Chimpman wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:14 pm
EDIT: Just went over to check out your fanzine and I have to say it is absolutely gorgeous! Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the positive feedback! It's always good to hear encouraging comments :)
I have also begun downloading the Threshold Issues and am also very impressed by your work as well! So kudos to you all no less! :)

I'll also prepare a proper PNG for the OM advert. We are planning to get OM19 out around July or August. In case you already have a Threshold advert ready, just send it to me (please PM for address). The following Issue is then scheduled for the end of the year.

Best
Tolwen
---

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Right now I am preparing to layout OM19 and pull all of the content together. Thus a file or info regarding the Threshold advert would be good, so that I can plan accordingly :)

Best
Tolwen
---

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Dear all you Middle-earth aficionados!
Other Minds, Issue 19 has been pubklished and is ready for download. You can find it here together with all the previous Issues.
In this most recent iteration you can find the following content:
  • Editorial: Some words about the Issue and its content.
  • The Road Goes Ever On: Extensive link section, including the pages of featured artists.
  • Inside Information: Some news (recent and not-so-recent) concerning roleplaying games set in Middle-earth.
  • Middle-earth in MIniature IV - The Elves: The fourth iteration of the articles which review the available miniatures of the various creatures and races of Middle-earth (by José Enrique Vacas de la Rosa).
  • Bree - Expanded Campaign Notes: Greatly expanded scope of the adventures and ideas presented in C7's Bree (and partly Ruins of the North) (by Olaf "Falenthal"" Anguera)
  • Review: Erebor: Review of C7's Erebor - The Lonely Mountain TOR module (by Thomas Morwinsky).
  • A King with no Folk: Highly dense adventure set in Rohan and best used in conjunction with C7's TOR supplements Horse-lords of Rohan and Oaths of the Riddermark (by Olaf "Falenthal" Anguera).
  • Divided Arnor: Thoughts about the division of Arnor and subsequent history of its three successor realms; focuses on Cardolan and Rhudaur (by Thomas Morwinsky)
  • The Black Arrow: Highly atmospheric adventure dealing with the fate of Bard's Black Arrow, which integrates smoothly into the story told by Tolkien himself (by David Cole)
  • Bucklebury Tales: Great description of Buckland and adventure seeds for use with TOR. Highly recommended! (by Peter Bergman).
Please swing by and enjoy this most recent Issue. Please also feel free to post any feedback or comments you might have. The magazine lives by the content provided by the community and its support.

In this context I'd be very happy to welcome any content for AME (or D&D in Middle-earth in general) in the future. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have!

For the OM team
Thomas
---

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 am

Great Fanzine, I've discovered it thanks to our cooperation as I'm one of the editors of Threshold Magazine and downloaded this issue and all the past ones since! Lot of ME interesting material!

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Congrats on another issue, Thomas!
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks for your positive feedbacks. This is what keeps motivation up through the years :)
I am also already working on an update (some feedback has already arrived) and within the next 2 weeks we will very likely have an update with a number of fixes :)

Best
Thomas
---

Return to “Middle-earth”