[Cubicle 7] Adventures of Middle Earth [D&D 5E ruleset]

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Cubicle 7] Adventures of Middle Earth [D&D 5E ruleset]

Post by shesheyan » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 pm

I had the chance to play a game with this variation of the D&D 5e rules. Rules that replace D&D backgrounds were interesting and fostered LOTR type of play. Corruption also plays an important part of the system. Murdering hobo characters are ill advised in this system.

In LOTR humans are of course the largest population. I chose to play a Woodman of the Wilderland which has specific racial traits. All humain cultures have them. Its something I would like to import into a regular D&D game.

Because my Treasure Hunter+Burglar was new, in an ongoing campaign, we started the session with a Fellowship Phase. This phase usually happens at the end of an adventure. Characters are involved in only 1 or 2 adventurers per year unless they are on a long quest. The Fellowship Phase is down time during which characters can learn skills, forge new items, establish new relations, etc. Players are expected to role-play the phase and explain how they manage to better their characters. Its not just an accounting phase. Fellowship Phases usually happen in the cold months because adventuring in winter is not recommended. Since my character is a Treasure Hunter he spent many nights entering the New Lake Town City Hall at night to look in the archives for clues leading to possible ship wreckages or missing caravans.

All in all I enjoyed my 5 hour session with this system. Its very familiar because of the D&D5e rules but at the same time it fosters a specific type of role-playing that feels like the stories of Middle-Earth.

I won't buy physical books even though there are gorgeous. A PDFs of the Player's Guide is more than enough for me.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Cubicle 7] Adventures of Middle Earth [D&D 5E ruleset]

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:36 am

shesheyan wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 pm
I had the chance to play a game with this variation of the D&D 5e rules. Rules that replace D&D backgrounds were interesting and fostered LOTR type of play.
Would you mind summarizing the rules that replace backgrounds, briefly? I'm curious, now.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:36 am
shesheyan wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:54 pm
I had the chance to play a game with this variation of the D&D 5e rules. Rules that replace D&D backgrounds were interesting and fostered LOTR type of play.
Would you mind summarizing the rules that replace backgrounds, briefly? I'm curious, now.
Backgrounds :
- Loyal Servant
- Doomed to Die
- Driven from Home
- Emissary of your People
- Fallen Scion
- The Harrowed
- Hunted by the Shadow
- Lure of the Road
- The Magician
- Oathsworn
- Reluctant Adventurer
- Seeker of the Lost
- World Weary

Skill Proficiencies : Each background grants two bonus skill proficiencies.
Feature : A special ability or gift stemming from your background.
Background offer choices for 4 categories : Distinctive Quality, Speciality, Hope and Despair. You can roll them randomly or pick the ones you like.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:47 am

Several of those sound very Tolkien-ish. I like them.

The skill proficiencies and feature sound similar to 5e's typical backgrounds. Would you mind expanding on the offer choices a bit more? What benefits do those provide? What rules related to backgrounds lent themselves to a more LotR feel?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “Middle-earth”