[Middle Earth] Middle Earth on the Piazza

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Middle Earth] Middle Earth on the Piazza

Post by Havard » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Just keeping tabs... :cool:

Anyway, who here has run a campaign or played in one set in the Middle Earth? Where/when was the campaign set and which system did you use?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Re: [Middle Earth] Middle Earth on the Piazza

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Havard wrote: Just keeping tabs... :cool:

-Havard
I don't think this one is what you think it is.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Ashtagon wrote:
Havard wrote: Just keeping tabs... :cool:

-Havard
I don't think this one is what you think it is.
How odd!
Here is the thread I meant to link to: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopi ... 17&start=0

I have edited the original post so that it directs to the correct thread :)

Thanks for checking this Ash :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:56 am

Anyway, who here has run a campaign or played in one set in the Middle Earth? Where/when was the campaign set and which system did you use?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 am

I used MERP 2nd edition for a long campaign set in the 4th age, using as base the module Palantir Quest.
Then another campaign using Mentzer D&D, set around the period of Battle of Five Armies (the same period in The One Ring rpg.)
Finally a few games using the Decipher's rpg (started with the adventure in the GM screen) and some games using the old ICE Lord of the Rings Adventure Game.
Of late I have used The One Ring for playtest sessions.
Overall, I would say the closest in "feel" to the novels have been the The One Ring and MERP 2nd edition (with revised spell lists.) Decipher's game was too crunchy and we got distracted by the rules and the system itself was not brilliant.
A good feel, considering the ruleset, came also from the D&D games, which I played closer to The Hobbit in terms of adventures and style.

I have saved on my hard disk an hack to use the Amber system in Middle Earth, which looks very very good and flavourful, though I have never tried it.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:54 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:I used MERP 2nd edition for a long campaign set in the 4th age, using as base the module Palantir Quest.
Then another campaign using Mentzer D&D, set around the period of Battle of Five Armies (the same period in The One Ring rpg.)
I think this is a good era for campaigns in Middle Earth. The Decipher game also recommends setting games in the 80 year period between the Hobbit and LotR.
Finally a few games using the Decipher's rpg (started with the adventure in the GM screen) and some games using the old ICE Lord of the Rings Adventure Game.
Of late I have used The One Ring for playtest sessions.
Overall, I would say the closest in "feel" to the novels have been the The One Ring and MERP 2nd edition (with revised spell lists.) Decipher's game was too crunchy and we got distracted by the rules and the system itself was not brilliant.
A good feel, considering the ruleset, came also from the D&D games, which I played closer to The Hobbit in terms of adventures and style.

I have saved on my hard disk an hack to use the Amber system in Middle Earth, which looks very very good and flavourful, though I have never tried it.
I am definately looking forward to the One Ring RPG.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 am

MODERATOR NOTE: Offtopic conversion "And then there were five!" moved to Kalamar forum.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:41 pm

I'm currently in a MERP game using Rolemaster rules. The setting itself? It's great of course, especially the maps of Middle Earth. The Rolemaster mechanics take some of the feel of Middle Earth, its mainly from the critical system of Rolemaster. No one simply 'dies' from being stabbed; heads get taken off, arrows through the eyes, claws rake the jugular veins out. It happens in the books somewhat, sure, but at this level where every fight's got an ending where my mage can electrocute a guy till his eyeballs burst. I mean is this Middle Earth? Or Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Still, the setting; Middle Earth is a very well thought out, very complex world. It feels slightly more empty now that we're in the 4th age when the major players of the Lord of the Rings have left and we're now sort of the mop up crew of what's left of the evil. No big bad, except apparently the Mouth of Sauron who is hiding in Moria.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Eh, Rolemaster does tend to be heavy on critical hits... in our current party, two characters have lost one eye each (gouged by blows), and a third lost a hand (incinerated by a magical trap). As the party's mithril smith, my dwarf character is busy forging prosthetics :D
The game system does intrude a bit on the setting, but more on the magic side, where you can easily get out of hand, especially when using Spell Law lists rather than MERP lists.

G.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:16 am

Immortals help us if the Beagle misses Blackmoor and crashes into Middle Earth, our GM also has Rolemaster's Blaster Law. Next thing you know we're running around with ray guns and liquifying the heads of trolls and orcs.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Giorgio
Ogre

Post by Giorgio » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Havard wrote:Anyway, who here has run a campaign or played in one set in the Middle Earth? Where/when was the campaign set and which system did you use?
-Havard
I just started on my quest to become a TOR GM, with only the Revised Core Rulebook in my possession and more books ordered threw my FLGS (and their sweet, sweet -20% off MRRP discount). I will be reading the books and creating an Obsidian Portal & Realmswork focused game, and my wife just got me "The Hobbit Trilogy Extended Edition Blu-ray Box Set" on Amazon, so that will be a big inspiration when it arrives in a few days. I will be working on campaign preparation in summer (I am off from the university) with the goal of running a live game in fall 2018. :)

No more info to share at the moment...

Tolwen
Hobgoblin

Post by Tolwen » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:56 am
I used to GM a campaign using first MERP and shortly after RM rules. I just dug out some ancient notes who indicated a start in November '88. this campaign lasted for about 12 years or so when it finally petered out. It was a lot of fun, but the Middle-earth feel gradually slipped away - mostly due to my mistake of including ever more of additional RM stuff that was not even remotely appropriate for the setting.
Temporally, it was set in MERP's standard era of TA 1640 (IIRC we started a few years earlier). IMO the era is not bad and has some really unique sides to it, but MERP made almost no use of these specifics and wrote mostly very generic and standardized - exceptions prove the rule - adventures throughout its existence (they became better its later stages).
After a long hiatus, I started two new campaigns (one online and one at the table) using my own homebrew system that combines elements and ideas of MERP (RM), HârnMaster (some spells), Midgard (a german RPG; mostly spells as well), Pendragon & TOR. temporally, I set this in my favorite time of the first half of the 15th century. The group(s) are slowly introduced into the specifics of the time and the (first) culmination will be the Second Northern War - which still is a few years of campaign time away.

Best
Tolwen
---
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Return to “Middle-earth”