Call of Cthulhu Time Travel

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Call of Cthulhu Time Travel

Post by Coronoides » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:34 am

In the latest issue of RPG Review Lev Lafayette proposes using a mix of CoC and Nephilim to create a time travel campaign. Both are BRP based games so this is mechanically feasible. I was sceptical at first but his idea of gradually revealing the Yithian rather than the usual complete full possession has interesting roleplaying possibilities.
I'm sure there are lots of other ways a time travel campaign could be run. How would you run a time travel CoC?
CoC has supplements covering many periods of history that could be used too. Which periods of history and sourcebooks would you weave into a narrative?
What do we know about time travel from HP Lovecraft's original works?

CoC has supplements covering many periods of history that could be used too.
EDIT here is the link.
http://rpgreview.net/files/rpgreview_43 ... 2060011220
Last edited by Coronoides on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Call of Cthulhu Time Travel

Post by agathokles » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:57 am

Interesting topic. Among the published campaigns, Horror on the Orient Express has several scenarios set in the past (Gaslight, Dark Ages and Invictus, IIRC).
It would be easy to adapt them to the premise of the article.

GP

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:44 am

From Lovecraft, the closest I can recall to time travel would be from "The Dreams in the Witch House" wherein the witch in question escaped into space and (possibly) time to continue to haunt the world many centuries later. Not strictly speaking time travel, though. There might be something similar in his Dreamlands stories, although I've yet to read them in their entirety (and it has been a long while since I last read any of that cycle, sadly.)

Outside of Lovecraft, but still within the Cthulhu Mythos, the Hounds of Tindalos similarly seem to be able to transport through space/time via angles and dimensions of geometry. Various wizards use magical potions of time travel in Clark Ashton Smith's Averoigne tales (notably "The Holiness of Azedarac").

As for eras of CoC that you could use, Smith's own works included the prehistoric Hyperborean era, the middle ages of Europe, and the post-apocalyptic future of Zothique alone, which covers quite a span of history.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:29 pm

If you look at the literary sources, Randolph Carter also does some degree of time travel, especially in the final narrative.

GP

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:14 am

Then there is the explorer in Australia who experiences a visit to a long-vanished pre-human civilization back in its prime - they seem to recognize him as a visitor from the future!

I can't remember the story's name - but that travel was purely mental, not physical.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 am

That's the "Yithian" mentioned in the OP.

GP

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:56 pm

I once sketched out a campaign outline that focused on uncovering horrible truths from Egypt's past (including some of Nyarlathotep's avatars, naturally). It involved going through time gates to visit different historical periods--mostly by accident, at first, then trying to return home. One such period was the reign of Akhenaten, whose god Aten could be interpreted as being Azathoth (and may also have inspired Hebrew monotheism, and later Kabbalism's Demiurge). I don't recall if I incorporated anything having to do with Yithians, but given Egypt's prominence in the Mythos, it would be very easy to do so.

I don't think I have any of those notes anymore, but certain bits and pieces have stuck in my head to be cannibalized for future games. For example, I have an outline for a short campaign that I'd like to run sometime, "Erebus," that liberally mixes Theosophy and Greek mythology. The villains are Atlantean sorcerers, some of whom reach the modern day (1880s, in game) through resurrection magic and others through time travel; their flawed attempts at the latter doomed Atlantis, and the echoes of that event may cause additional havoc with the timeline if they aren't stopped. This campaign would have very little, if any, time travel by the PCs; that would be more of a "something has gone horribly, fatally wrong" contingency. Now that I've been running a Greek myth game for a while now, I'd probably cut way back on those elements, and double down on the crackpot Theosophical weirdness. I'm not entirely sure what system I'd use, if I ever do run it; I initially conceived it as a Ghosts of Albion campaign, but it could probably be done just as easily with Cthulhu by Gaslight.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:15 pm

OP edited now haas link
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”