Cthulhuverse timeline?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Cthulhuverse timeline?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:27 pm

I'm not all that familiar with the Cthuluverse and the works of HPL, but that is something I am hoping to rectify this year. I have seen a handful of movies and I've liked what I have seen and I definitely want to read the works and see more movies. I am hoping that someone can help me out buy either post or pointing me to a timeline of events. I would like to know the timeline according to HPL first and then branch off after that to see the timeline pushed by forward or sideways by other authors that have published Cthulhu inspired books/novels.

Starglim
Hobgoblin

Re: Cthulhuverse timeline?

Post by Starglim » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 am

From the other thread, I mentioned "At the Mountains of Madness" for prehistoric events and would add "The Shadow Out of Time" for what is known to happen in our future.

Timelines, continuity with (and among) HPL's tales and general acceptance - "canon" is probably not really applicable - of work from other authors are not simple questions.

edit: On further thought, Clark Ashton Smith's Hyperborea stories might have added the most to Mythos continuity as used in the Call of Cthulhu game. Lin Carter, earlier R. E. Howard (author of Conan and others) and many more added individual beings and developments of Lovecraft's creations.
Last edited by Starglim on Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks, Starglim!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:59 pm

The RPG Eldritch Skies explores a possible future of the Lovecraftian universe.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:59 pm
The RPG Eldritch Skies explores a possible future of the Lovecraftian universe.
As does Cthonian Stars, a setting for use with Traveller.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:57 pm

As Starglim notes, there isn't really a "timeline" per se with any of the "classic" Cthulhu mythos. Stories were just written and told more with regard to whatever horrific topic the writer wanted to convey without regard to how it fit in with anything else that was going on. To the extent that the Cthulhu Mythos is a "shared" setting at all, really is more in the sense that it is presumed to take place in the real world, and shares its horrific elements in the alien entities that exert their influence upon it; oftentimes, authors made up their own alien entities and didn't re-use the same ones from others.

The only real "continuity" that I can think of offhand are probably the stories that relate to Randolph Carter, who appears in a few of HPL's stories.

Then, moving out of the "classic" Mythos and into modern times, you're going to get a really mixed bag with little to no continuity, at least insofar as relates to itself. For instance, the anthology "Shadows Over Innsmouth" features tales that are directly related to the HPL "Shadow Over Innsmouth" and can be considered to be connected thereby, but little to no effort was made to reconcile the stories with each other, such that you may have contemporary fiction that directly contradicts other fiction that is ostensibly in the same setting.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:08 am

My reasoning for this question was because of the aspect of time travel. I'm not sure how prevalent it is, if at all, in the works of HPL. If it's not, can someone please tell me which author and the name of their work that it got introduced in.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:04 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:08 am
My reasoning for this question was because of the aspect of time travel. I'm not sure how prevalent it is, if at all, in the works of HPL. If it's not, can someone please tell me which author and the name of their work that it got introduced in.
There isn't a lot of time travel involved in the classic Cthulhu Mythos. To the best of my recollection, the only places I can think of that even mention the concept in HPL's own work would be with the Yithians (who are noted to be able to travel through time and space), and possibly his Dreamquest Cycle and the powers of the witch Keziah Mason ("Dreams in the Witch-House"). I would recommend checking out that story ("Dreams").

There is some time travel in the stories of Clark Ashton Smith, a contemporary of HPL who wrote many Cthulhu Mythos stories of his own. Notably, the short story "The Holiness of Azedarac" (and the abstract for "The Doom of Azedarac" which he never completed). CAS was noted for his forays into more traditional sci-fi and fantasy as well as horror, which probably accounts for his exploration of some of those concepts.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:27 pm
I am hoping that someone can help me out buy either post or pointing me to a timeline of events.
Cthulhu Wiki has a Cthulhu Mythos Timeline article, that you might want to take a look at.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:08 am
"The Shadow Out of Time" features the Yithians, who do time travel of a sort.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm
Cthulhu Wiki has a Cthulhu Mythos Timeline article, that you might want to take a look at.
Thank you, Big Mac! ♥

Starglim
Hobgoblin

Post by Starglim » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:53 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:27 pm
I am hoping that someone can help me out buy either post or pointing me to a timeline of events.
That's a good long read.

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”