[Call of Cthulhu] How have you used the Dreamlands?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[Call of Cthulhu] How have you used the Dreamlands?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:47 pm

Any GMs of CoC here that have used the Dreamlands? If you have, in what regard did you and what the the results thereof?

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: [Call of Cthulhu] How have you used the Dreamlands?

Post by timemrick » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:22 am

I've used the Dreamlands for a couple of campaigns, though never using the CoC system:

1) I ran a GURPS CthulhuPunk campaign (minus the -punk, set in modern day) in which all the PCs were dreamers. We alternated between Dreamlands and "waking world" adventures. The biggest challenges I had were balancing the amount of time spent in each dimension, and how the two worlds interacted. I think it would have worked better if I had had some overarcing plot in mind that melded the two settings better, but I was kind of winging it as I went along.

2) I used the Dreamlands on their own for my first two Freeport campaigns. The setting's blend of heroics and horror seemed very well suited to Freeport, and mixing in the usual D&D tropes (like demihuman races and more common magic) was no real stretch. I used some Dreamlands creatures in side adventures between installments of the Freeport Trilogy, but the second campaign depended less on that, and more on the creatures and cults peculiar to Freeport itself. I eventually switched to the World of Freeport setting (from The Pirate's Guide to Freeport) for my third and current campaign, because I wanted a change of pace.

I certainly wouldn't rule out running another game set in the Dreamlands, but I think the next time around, I need to try for a more immersive, epic feel to it--some sort of complex, world-spanning quest, ala Randolph Carter's. Meanwhile, I get my occasional Dreamlands kick by playing the old Mythos CCG. Between those old campaigns and the CCG, the Dreamlands--and the Mythos in general--has become a little too familiar to my long-time gaming buddies. That makes running a truly satisfying Lovecraftian game for them a challenge.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:40 am

timemrick wrote:2) I used the Dreamlands on their own for my first two Freeport campaigns. The setting's blend of heroics and horror seemed very well suited to Freeport, and mixing in the usual D&D tropes (like demihuman races and more common magic) was no real stretch. I used some Dreamlands creatures in side adventures between installments of the Freeport Trilogy, but the second campaign depended less on that, and more on the creatures and cults peculiar to Freeport itself. I eventually switched to the World of Freeport setting (from The Pirate's Guide to Freeport) for my third and current campaign, because I wanted a change of pace.
Very cool, this is what I wanted to hear, a campaign set entirely in the Dreamlands. I have never used the Dreamlands myself, but I am completely partial to using it alone for a Pathfinder campaign setting, or as an alternate plane connecting to another Realm; such as Earth or another established campaign setting.

JMiskimen
Goblin

Post by JMiskimen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Maybe if I can get my players on board for a diversion, we can blend Dreamlands with an ongoing CoC Campaign ... one can always dream ...

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:25 pm

JMiskimen wrote: ... one can always dream ...

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:01 pm

I haven't used the Dreamlands up to now. My CoC campaigns tend to be more on the investigative side than on the fantasy side -- more The Horror at Red Hook than Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, although of course both modes are feasible.

GP

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:58 am

I finally got around to posting some of material from my older Freeport campaigns to the "Past Lives" page of my current campaign's wiki. This newly migrated stuff includes the info on the Dreamlands that I shared with my players.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:55 am

Cool campaign, indeed. The Dreamlands certainly fit well into a Freeport campaign.

GP

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:59 am

I am also running Freeport in the Dreamlands, but in a more humanocentric framework (i.e. no demihumans). I also put the Pathfinder supplement Rule of Fear (detailing Ustalav) as one of the kingdoms in the Dreamlands, the one which is closer to Freeport (all PCs come from Ustalav.) After Freeport, I plan to run Carrion Hill and Wake of the Watcher as part of the campaign. At some point, the PCs will discover that they are really dreamers coming into the Dreamlands from the 20th century world (this will be the final campaign revelation.)
I am using d20 Call of Cthulhu, which I "expanded" with some bits from D&D 3.0. I let the players create their own professional templates so they could create the character they wanted. Rules-wise, it has worked pretty well; d20 CoC is an excellent level-based, class-less system.

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”