Call of Cthulhu variants & other Mythos RPGs

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Call of Cthulhu variants & other Mythos RPGs

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:00 am

Besides Call of Cthulhu, there are several variants, as well as many other games set in the Cthulhu Mythos. I'll collect a list for reference in this post.

Call of Cthulhu variants (BRP)
These are CoC games using the Basic Role Playing system (d100). Not all of them are produced by Chaosium.
  • Call of Cthulhu the base game, set in the 1920s
  • Cthulhu Invictus CoC in the ancient Roman Empire
  • Byzance An 800 CoC in IX century Byzanthium (French only)
  • Cthulhu Dark Ages CoC in the middle ages (with Averoigne materials in Worlds of Cthulhu)
  • Convict & Cthulhu CoC in Australia between 1795 and 1810
  • Cthulhu by Gaslight CoC in the XIX century (1890s)
  • Achtung! Cthulhu CoC in WWII era (has rules for Savage Worlds as well, and conversions for FATE and Trail of Cthulhu)
  • World War Cthulhu CoC in WWII and Cold War eras
  • Cthulhu Now CoC in modern times (1990s)
  • Delta Green CoC meets X-Files, in the 1990s
  • The Laundry CoC meets the MI6, in the 2000s (based on the Laundry book series)
  • Dreamlands expansion of CoC dealing with the Dreamlands
  • Cathulhu CoC with cat PCs
Other Mythos Games
These are non-BRP games heavily featuring the Cthulhu Mythos. Mostly, these are either conversions of CoC to some other game system, or hybrid games merging the Cthulhu Mythos with another major theme (and often using a rules system suitable for that theme).
  • D20 Call of Cthulhu D20 version of CoC
  • Trail of Cthulhu GUMSHOE version of CoC, set in the 1930s, or in the Gaslight era
  • Realms of Cthulhu Savage Worlds
  • Silent Legions Stars Without Number
  • Realms of Crawling Chaos Labyrinth Lord
  • Eldritch Skies Cinematic Unisystem and Savage Worlds, set in 2030 (sci-fi themed)
  • CthulhuTech Framewerk, set in 2085 (mecha-themed)
  • Cthonian Stars Traveller, set in the near future (The Void is a remake of the same setting with a new custom system)
  • GURPS Cthulhupunk GURPS, set in the near future (cyberpunk-themed)
  • Alba di Cthulhu (a dedicated card based system; the game is set in a post-apocalyptic world after the rise of R'lyeh)
  • Clockwork & Cthulhu Clockwork & Chivalry
  • Dark Streets OpenQuest / D100 system
Other Games featuring Mythos elements
These are settings and supplements which include elements of the Cthulhu Mythos into an existing game. The list is definitely not meant to be exhaustive, listing only major supplements/settings.
  • Deities & Demigods AD&D book with stats for the Cthulhu Mythos entities (later reprinted as Legends and Lore without the Mythos content).
  • Freeport early d20 setting mixing Mythos themes (in particular Yig, Serpent-Men and the Yellow Sign) with a piratical D&D setting (originally for d20, available now for multiple systems including Savage Worlds, AGE, Pathfinder, FATE, True20, Castles & Crusades)
  • Strange Aeons is an adventure path for Pathfinder which includes Mythos elements such as the Yellow Sign and the Great Old Ones. References to Cthulhu Mythos are also found in several Pathfinder bestiaries and modules.
  • Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder is an upcoming bestiary for Pathfinder by Call of Cthulhu's author.
  • Primeval Thule is a campaign setting set inspired by the works of R. E. Howard, H. P. Lovecraft and C. A. Smith, which includes Mythos cults and monsters within a Conan-like setting.
Last Edit: Fix on Deities & Demigods.
Last edited by agathokles on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:24 am, edited 27 times in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Call of Cthulhu variants & other Mythos RPGs

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Great list!

I guess we could include the Averoigne materialfrom Worlds of Cthulhu Magazine could be included here?

Also, there is Realms of Crawling Chaos for Labyrinth Lord, which I believe is based on the public domain parts of the Lovecraft universe.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:28 pm

Havard wrote: Also, there is Realms of Crawling Chaos for Labyrinth Lord, which I believe is based on the public domain parts of the Lovecraft universe.
Difficult to say. Early works (pre-1923) by HPL are PD in most countries, but the status of later works is contested in the US (but PD in EU since 2008).

Anyway, I've updated the table.

GP

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 pm

It’s probably not necessary to include every Lovecraft reference in every RPG, however, the Cthulhu Mythos section in the AD&D Deities & Demigods book is legendary. The second printing of the book included this statement on page 4: “Special thanks are also given to Chaosium, Inc. for permission to use the material found in the Cthulhu Mythos and the Melnibonean Mythos.” In other words, this was even an official, licensed thing at that point. (In return, official D&D and AD&D stats were included in Chaosium’s Thieves World box.)

Under the BRP list I would include Dreamlands.

1920s Britain: Not sure how much this counts as a variant—maybe you would call it a setting or maybe you would just say sourcebooks on a common theme—but there’s so much now that it perhaps deserves a mention. In 1987, Games Workshop published Green and Pleasant Land. In 1996, Chaosium published The London Guidebook. In 2009, Cubicle 7 published Cthulhu Britannica. Since then, they have published 5 supplements for this line, including the massive Cthulhu Britannica London Box Set in 2015. So, again, maybe this wouldn’t be added to the OP list, but I thought I would note it in the thread!
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:33 am

Indeed, I didn't add merely geographic supplements -- like London Guidebook, Cairo Guidebook, etc for CoC or Dreamhounds of Paris for ToC. Otherwise, the list will rapidly escalate to a list of all Cthulhu-themed RPG books.

GP

Mortis
Hill Giant

Post by Mortis » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:23 pm

There's Achtung Cthulhu (Modiphius Entertainment) and World War Cthulhu (Cubicle 7) both of which feature the Cthulhu Mythos during World War 2.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Freeport does feature the Unspeakable One, the Yellow Sign, Yig, and I'm sure other Mythos elements as well.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:25 pm

I've updated the list.

GP

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Post by Dragon Turtle » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Discussion of Forum Logo has been split into a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=14371

-DT
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:10 pm

I've added Silent Legions to the list of non-BRP games. This one is based on the system used first in Stars Without Number, an old-school sandbox game that spawned a slew of successors. Silent Legions is the author's take on Lovecraftian horror, combined with the sandbox/random generation style of Stars Without Number. The rules combine a simple skill-based system (2d6+bonuses vs target number) with classic D&D-style character classes.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:58 am

I've added Alba di Cthulhu ("Dawn of Cthulhu"), a new Italian game from the authors of Sine Requie. It uses its own rules system, with cards (a standard poker deck) for randomness, and is set in 1937, but in a variant timeline where Cthulhu has finally awaken, humanity has been mostly destroyed, and the various Mythos races operate openly. Contrary to most Mythos games, this one only leverages Lovecraft works, not the wider Mythos, and it is not designed in the horror genre, but rather in a pulp/urban fantasy style.

AirBreather
Hobgoblin

Post by AirBreather » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:21 pm

Paizo (of Pathfinder fame) has gotten a tie-in to the Mythos framework by some of their bestiary/monster entries, as well as some modules and mentions in adventure paths (IIRC).

On top of which, there is an upcoming adventure path more closely connected: Strange Aeons (@ http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/strangeAeons ), which features the Yellow King, Dreamlands, Great Old One (TBD which it is), elder things, etc.

~AB

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:05 am

Added Strange Aeons. Thanks.

GP

AirBreather
Hobgoblin

Post by AirBreather » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:24 am

There has been a successfully Kickstarted campaign for Cthulhu Mythos material to be created for Pathfinder, by the original (so it says?) author of Call of Cthulhu.

Details @ link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... athfinder/

So it would potentially be true statted Cthulhu-ian critters in the high fantasy setting! :D

~AB

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:12 am

Add the Primeval Thule setting to the lists of campaign settings. It has D&D 4E & 5E as well as 13th Age and Pathfinder support.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:20 am

Added both.
GP

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:19 pm

A couple interesting option would also be Cathulhu or the original German version Katzulhu. Both are 6th edition compatible.

It's a Unique system, but you also have Call of Cattulhu
Last edited by Boneguard on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:12 am

In the first post in the 'Other Games featuring Mythos elements' the Paizo Publishing Pathfinder RPS world of Golarion should be included.

Strange Aeons Adventure Path is but one of many Pathfinder products that steep the setting in the mythos.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:In the first post in the 'Other Games featuring Mythos elements' the Paizo Publishing Pathfinder RPS world of Golarion should be included.

Strange Aeons Adventure Path is but one of many Pathfinder products that steep the setting in the mythos.
Can you point out other Pathfinder/Golarion books/APs that are Mythos related? Pathfinder is a huge product line, mentioning it in general does not seem to me a good idea, since most of it is not Mythos-specific.

G

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Agathokles has already covered all/most Pathfinder games with a Mythos element (Sandy Petersen's Bestiary, Strange Aeon, Freport).

The only element I might add would be Bestiary 2, 4 and 5 (as they have some mythos creatures or Elder Gods) and Serpentfolk or Serpentfolk element came up in a couple modules and PFS scenario and 1 novel but's all I can think is missing.

On another note, in addition to my earlier post, Convict & Cthulhu is another fun little setting. It uses CoC 7th ed mechanic, but it is set in Australia 1795-1810 era. And they even have 4 small supplements/adventure hooks offered.

All 5 product is either free or pay what you want on DrivethruRPG.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:50 pm

For Other Games featuring Mythos elements:

Frog God's Game has for one of his God: Tsathogga the Demon Frog- God (really an thinly veiled Homage to C.A. Smith Tsathoggua)

It's not out yet, but Ember Design Studio recently had a Kickstarter for an adventure (WOIN, D&D 5th and PFRPG) inspired by H.P. Lovecraft stories in particular The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and At the Mountains of Madness.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks, added Convict & Cthulhu and a note regarding Pathfinder bestiaries -- I'm not going to mention them individually unless there's a relatively large coverage in a single book rather than individual entities, as the "Other Games" section is not supposed to be exhaustive, rather to give a nod to well-known games that can be used with the Mythos.

G

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:53 pm

Thank you.

As for the other, I understand fully, the lust would become unmanageble after a wghile. Besides, I provided the linkids in my posts, so they can still look at it if interested. It'seems a win-win.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 pm

I forgot to add Cathulhu. Will do that in the next update...
G

Khedrac
Ostego

Post by Khedrac » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:30 am

Does Munchkin Cthulhu count?
"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it might just be a crow".

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”