Creature Categories?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Creature Categories?

Post by Havard » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Elder Gods
Great Old Ones
Mortals

Anything between those?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Creature Categories?

Post by agathokles » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:57 am

Well, there are the Outer Gods (Azathoth, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, Yog-Sothoth etc.), which are a different class of gods from the Elder Gods (benevolent or neutral, Nodens, Bast, etc.) and the Great Old Ones (malevolent, Cthulhu, Hasthur, Ithaqua, Tsathoggua, etc.). These are all individuals, however, except the "lesser outer gods", which are basically indistinct.

Other categories include the Independent Races and the Servitor Races. Both come in Greater and Lesser variety, and include Elder Things, Mi-Go, Great Race, Spawn of Cthulhu, Ghouls, Serpent People, Deep Ones, and many more. There also non-Mythos creatures, including the undead (in the typical D&D variations), and non-Mythos Independent Races (e.g., the Bunyip).
Finally, there are humans and beasts (normal animals).

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:59 pm

That helps alot.

Thanks! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:20 am

Chaosium's original Call of Cthulhu RPG (and its short-lived CCG spinoff, Mythos) used the categories of Lesser and Greater monsters which were either Servitors or Independents, giving four possible outputs (not counting Great Old One and Outer God - the distinction between those two was kept vague, although I've got my own theory which makes it into a razor-sharp division). The first divide was a vague sense of power level, while the latter indicated whether the race as a whole were generally beholden to an "Ancient One" (the more inclusive umbrella term which Fantasy Flight Games invented for both GOOs and OGs, in their Arkham Horror and Call of Cthulhu CCG franchises).

The Elder Gods were only mentioned in a tiny handful of the original Mythos stories; they didn't fit incredibly well with the doom-and-gloom direction Lovecraft's writing quickly began to take, and are generally confined to the Dreamlands for thematic reasons. Overuse of the undead is another way to ruin the Lovecraftian theme; one zombie should be a source of overwhelming horror for the average investigator, and even seasoned veterans shouldn't end up looking like the shotgun-wielding protagonists of "The Walking Dead" (unless you regard Titus Crow as the archetypal Lovecraftian investigator).

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”