Achtung Cthulhu

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Achtung Cthulhu

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:04 pm

My friend Boddynock just mentioned this game.

The following quotes are taken from the Cthulhu variants thread:
Mortis wrote:There's Achtung Cthulhu (Modiphius Entertainment) and World War Cthulhu (Cubicle 7) both of which feature the Cthulhu Mythos during World War 2.
Agathokles wrote:Achtung! Cthulhu CoC in WWII era (has rules for Savage Worlds as well, and conversions for FATE and Trail of Cthulhu)
Do I understand it correcctly that this game has rules for BRP and Savage Worlds and has conversions for FATE and Trail of Cthulhu (Gumshoe)?

How much of the book is dedicated to rules?

What is the game like in general?

Are there any supplements?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Re: Achtung Cthulhu

Post by Boneguard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 pm

The core books and most adventures are dual stats (CoC 6th and Savage World). Only 1 or 2 books got the Fate treatment and 2 scenario updated to Trail of Cthulhu.

You have the Keeper and the Investigator book that formshe the core, a DM screen, 3 régional book (Eastern Front, North Africa Theater and Pacific Theater) a rule supplement (Terrors of the Secret Wars), documents and keeper can fill up, tiles, 3 crossover setting (Godlike, Dustin, Interface) and 6 adventures with 3 more planned.

Most are only available in PDF.
Last edited by Boneguard on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:23 am

Link to Achtung Cthulhu GUMSHOE products on drivethrurpg.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:32 am

Havard wrote: Do I understand it correcctly that this game has rules for BRP and Savage Worlds and has conversions for FATE and Trail of Cthulhu (Gumshoe)?
Yes. As mentioned above, the core books are dual statted. Some conversions to the other two systems exist.
How much of the book is dedicated to rules?
Quite a lot. Achtung modifies BRP pretty heavily by adding new skills and a specialized character generation process (I'm speaking of the CoC version, I'm not familiar with the Savage Worlds material, as I've only been a player in a short lived BRP A!C game).
What is the game like in general?
It's quite more stealth and combat oriented than CoC (at least the adventures we played which, IIRC, were from the official line). The basic plots were "Nazi mad scientist is creating a Lovecraftian superweapon, a British commando is sent to stop them".
Are there any supplements?
As mentioned above. The basic game allows you to play mostly British military men, other supplements should add combatants from other nations (the game is much more finicky about equipment and skills than the standard CoC, so professions are heavily specialized).

There is a campaign made of several linked adventures, as well as some larger scenarios.

GP

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:22 pm

agathokles wrote:Link to Achtung Cthulhu GUMSHOE products on drivethrurpg.

GP
I stand corrected. 2 scenarios uses that system.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:57 pm

Boneguard wrote:
agathokles wrote:Link to Achtung Cthulhu GUMSHOE products on drivethrurpg.

GP
I stand corrected. 2 scenarios uses that system.
On the other hand, there is no core book for ToC.

GP

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 pm

Been preparing to run Achtung! Cthulhu this Sunday for Savage Worlds. Having read the Investigators Guide, the Adventure, and some of the Keeper's Guide- I've been quite enjoying it. I think the 'Printer Friendly' that Drivethru puts out along with full color is less distracting to the eye. The Guide has several random tables in the late 50's to add some kind of eldritch detail to your character's background (which I thought were very good). Also, the first four chapters of the Investigator's Guide are a lot of fluff and I think are quite detailed when it concerns WWII history - I've heard of rpg.net threads that say it might be too-detailed, given the subject matter of commandos fighting Nazi summoned Cthullhu.

I also like that it's clear from some of the fluff, especially the 'Terrors of the Secret War' supplement is that the SS and Nazi special groups, they aren't supermen. It's very clear this stuff gets out of control and several fluff reports from Germans reveal how they've lost men or material for the Mythos. It reinforces that these scientists and occultists have no idea what the hell they are doing and will probably get eaten by the 'weapons' they bring to bear.
Quite a lot. Achtung modifies BRP pretty heavily by adding new skills and a specialized character generation process (I'm speaking of the CoC version, I'm not familiar with the Savage Worlds material, as I've only been a player in a short lived BRP A!C game).
To draw off from agathokles quote above. I can see, as a Savage Worlds fan, the main thing added is a 'Sanity' stat, which in turn came off of Reality Bites' Relams of Cthulhu (and later shows up in Horror Companion from Savage Worlds). Sanity works much the same as Wounds from Savage Worlds with various Cthullhu threats doing psychic damage (the mechanics are 1/2 Spirit + 2. So, a character with a d10 Spirit has a Sanity of 7. Looking at the Great Old One himself Cthulhu deals d12+d10 'Mental Anguish'. Like all other systems in Savage Worlds, the anguish dice explode and if it meets and beats your sanity by 4 you take a point of Madness and after 3 points you are insane and have to roll for what malady you get and how long it lasts).
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”