The Leng Plateau

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

The Leng Plateau

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:01 am

The Leng Plateau was referenced in True Detective when a fake AD&D Book titled The Forest of Leng appeared as a prop in an episode of season 3 of the HBO series. I know the Leng Plateau exists in the Lovecraft Mythology and that its locations seems to vary.

What else is known about Leng?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: The Leng Plateau

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Canonically, you'll get the most bang for your buck about Leng in Lovecraft's Dream Cycle stories (notably in "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath.") Leng and its denizens exist in the Dreamlands, primarily, though IIRC Leng itself kind of fades in and out of connection with the real world (like Brigadoon and similar fictional locales).

It is known to be the land from which the mysterious race of slavers known as the Men of Leng come from, unsurprisingly. The men of Leng appear somewhat similar to traditional depictions of satyrs or fauns (man-like, but with hooves and horns) or like some depictions of the devil. The men of Leng serve and/or worship the pale amorphous moon beasts, and once warred with the purplish, bloated spiders of Leng.

As I noted, your best description of Leng will be in Dream-Quest, although I believe some of the other authors in the Lovecraft mythos may have used them.

Non-canonically, the Pathfinder RPG has provided statistics for the Men of Leng ("denizens" as they call them) and various other Dreamlands beasties, and there is an Adventure Path (the Strange Aeons AP) that puts PCs in direct contact with the Dreamlands- including Leng- as well as other Lovecraftian elements; including a trip to the distant alien city of Carcosa by the very end.

In my article reimagining my "Dark Glantri" vision for Threshold Magazine #2, I included references to the men of Leng, tying the dimension of Nightmare in with the Dreamlands of Cthulhu mythos. The men of Leng could be an offshoot (or just plain evil version) of the diaboli, or they could be an entirely different sort of creature.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Leng has also been used within Mythos sources to apply to a mysterious plateau in central Asia, where nasty humans (or near-humans) and other horrors dwell. IIRC, in later works, there is a connection implied between the two Lengs, that they are somehow the same place, connected through the Dreamlands.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 pm

timemrick wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:38 pm
Leng has also been used within Mythos sources to apply to a mysterious plateau in central Asia, where nasty humans (or near-humans) and other horrors dwell. IIRC, in later works, there is a connection implied between the two Lengs, that they are somehow the same place, connected through the Dreamlands.
"The Hound" places it in Central Asia. The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath has it in the Dreamlands. One of the characters in The Mountains of Madness thinks the Antarctic site is Leng, but that's only their theory, it's not a certain identification. I don't remember if there are other references in other stories that were solely by HPL.

"Through the Gates of the Silver Key" (written by HPL and E. Hoffman Price) has a city called Yian-Ho on the Plateau of Leng.

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”