[Savage Worlds] Realms of Cthulhu

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[Savage Worlds] Realms of Cthulhu

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:56 pm

Anyone have experience with this setting? What makes it different from Chaosium Cthulhu?

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: [Savage Worlds] Realms of Cthulhu

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:30 am

It's definitely "pulpier" than CoC. Personally, I prefer the fragility of BRP CoC characters.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:14 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:It's definitely "pulpier" than CoC. Personally, I prefer the fragility of BRP CoC characters.
Hmm....is there material in RoC that can be salvaged for CoC? I ask because I have it on my list to get CoC next month as well. If RoC doesn't bring that much more to Cthulhu roleplaying than I can invest my gaming money elsewhere.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:59 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:It's definitely "pulpier" than CoC. Personally, I prefer the fragility of BRP CoC characters.
Hmm....is there material in RoC that can be salvaged for CoC? I ask because I have it on my list to get CoC next month as well. If RoC doesn't bring that much more to Cthulhu roleplaying than I can invest my gaming money elsewhere.
Frankly? No. Most of the space in the book is devoted to porting the tropes of CoC to Savage Worlds. There is nothing really *new* which makes you want to port over. Unless you don't like the BRP version and are a Savage Worlds person, in which case it might be worth the buy. But if you are going to buy the original, you won't need anything else.
The exception here is Trail of Cthulhu by Kenneth Hite, a port of the setting to the GUMSHOE rules. This book adds lots of setting stuff, in terms of interpretations and deep analysis of the Mythos. And IMO the game system is also superior to BRP for the genre, with specific options for pulp and purist scenarios. This would be a huge contender for best CoC game, the only downside being that it does not give options for modern settings.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Post by Boddynock » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Sorry for the necro, but I was glad to find this thread before starting a new one. I've been recently looking at Realms of Cthulhu along with Achtung! Cthulhu in preparation for Sunday and I had a few thoughts.

One of the things that I like about Realms is there are actually modes or settings you can have for your Savage Worlds: Call of Cthulhu game. This includes Gritty or Pulpy physical damage (determines whether or not you can 'Soak' and avoid wounds) and Gritty or Pulpy madness (whether or not you can 'Rationalize' and avoid bouts of insanity). Even with the Gritty factor on I've noticed it's not always common to lose Sanity to point it's zero and your guy is retired to the asylum- so, mileage may very.

It's also very novel that the equipment chapter covers three periods: The 1800's (Lovecraft Country), 1920's (Call of Cthulhu), and 1990's (Delta Green). So, out of the box, if you want to outfit your paramilitary team or be a gentleman of the evening facing the Mythos, they have it right there.

As Rabindranath72 mentioned, I think if you have CoC and plan to stick with BRP there isn't as much for you. They do have a conversion guide to convert things to and fro between BRP and Savage Worlds - but I think that's more to the benefit of Savage Worlds over CoC players.

The other thing you can do with this, if you're a Savage Worlds, is mix and match your source books. For instance:

Realms of Cthulhu + Science Fiction Companion gives you: Cthulhupunk (Cybernetic & Cthulhu) or Cthulhu Space Operas (laser guns vs. Mythos).

Realms of Cthulhu + Achtung! Cthulhu/Weird War II + Supers Companion - Hellboy and Captain America fighting Nazis and Deep Ones.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:15 am

Boddynock wrote:Sorry for the necro, but I was glad to find this thread before starting a new one.
For the record there is no prohibition against "thread necromancy" at The Piazza. You only need to think of three things before bumping an old topic:
  • Are you actually talking about the same thing as the original topic? If so, bump away.
  • Do you want to talk about something similar to the old topic, and reference things in the old topic. If so, it might be better to have another topic, and add in links to the old topic. (If you are not sure, bump away, but have a chat with a moderator, when you have time. They can then split the topic if necessary.)
  • Bear in mind that - if a topic is an old one - some of the original posters might not remember the exact context of their posts and might not be able to answer questions as easily as if you were able to ask straight away. But, do bump away and be polite if nobody remembers.
Boddynock wrote:The other thing you can do with this, if you're a Savage Worlds, is mix and match your source books. For instance:

Realms of Cthulhu + Science Fiction Companion gives you: Cthulhupunk (Cybernetic & Cthulhu) or Cthulhu Space Operas (laser guns vs. Mythos).

Realms of Cthulhu + Achtung! Cthulhu/Weird War II + Supers Companion - Hellboy and Captain America fighting Nazis and Deep Ones.
I suppose that's a good reason for people to consider Realms of Cthulhu (over other versions). :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Call of Cthulhu”