[Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]: Bestiary

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

RobJN
Dire Flumph

[Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]: Bestiary

Post by RobJN » Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Here are the stats for the nasties in the fog:

Radiant shadow*
Armor Class: 4
Hit Dice: varies; 2+2* − 6+2*
Move: 120’ (40’)
Attacks: 2 claws
Damage: 2d4 + Radiance damage
No. Appearing: 1-10 (4-40)
Save As: F:3-7
Morale: 10 (8)
Treasure Type: G
Alignment: Chaotic
XP Value: 35-650

Radiant shadows are the undead souls of those caught in the periphery of Radiance-based explosions. They appear as brilliantly glowing blue-white reflections of their former selves, mouths open wide in their final screams, hungry for the souls of others to ease the anguish brought on by the Radiance.

Radiant shadows normally travel in packs, roaming the slagged ruins of battlefields and long-abandoned Blackmoor colonies.

Encounters with Radiant shadows always begin when PCs hear their shrieks. This calls for a Saving Throw vs. Paralysis. If they should fail the check, they are rooted in place with fear. Success indicates that they have shaken off the dreadful sound.

Because they are infused with the power of the Radiance, Radiant shadows emit a field of corruption. PCs within 15’ of a Radiant shadow must Save vs. Poison every three rounds or begin to feel the effects of Phase 1 Radiance poisoning.

Radiant shadows attack with their hardened talons. A hit indicates that a PC must make a Save vs. Poison, or succumb to Radiance poisoning effects.

Radiant shadows can only be hit by silver or magical weapons. If a Radiant shadow is hit by a silvered weapon, its morale drops to 8.

The creatures are drawn to gold and gems, and will always attack the PC with the most gold or jewelry first.

Radiant shadows can be turned (as an undead of equivalent Hit Dice) by a cleric.

Radiance Poisoning
The severity of Radiance poisoning depends on the amount of damage dealt:
* Phase 1 (1-10 points of damage) Radiance poisoning manifests as a persistent headache and pain in the joints. All rolls are penalized by −2 for the next 1d4 days. A Neutralize poison spell cuts the recovery time in half.
* Phase 2 (11+ points of damage) Radiance poisoning brings a more severe headache and stiffness, with rolls being penalized by −4. Characters are severely fatigued, requiring three times as much time to rest between bouts of anything more strenuous than walking. Characters also require two to three times as much water, and have difficulty keeping down solid foods. A character must make another Saving Throw vs. Poison every 12 hours. A Neutralize poison spell or successful Save brings the character up to Phase 1 poisoning. Failure drops the hero to Phase 3:
* Phase 3 Radiance Poisoning drains 1d4 points of Constitution, and requires the PC to be bedridden. The character is wracked with fever and chills, and any attempt at physical activity is hampered by −6 and calls for a Saving Throw vs. Paralysis. If the PC fails, he falls unconscious and takes another 1d4 Constitution damage. The PC must make another Save vs. Poison every 4 hours or lose another point of Constitution.

Neutralize poison has no effect at this stage. Cure disease will either halt the Constitution loss, or bring the PC up to Phase 2. A PC falling to 0 Constitution perishes. The body must be cured of both Poison and Disease before any attempt at Raising is possible.
Last edited by RobJN on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]: Bestiary

Post by Havard » Fri May 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Very cool!

I love the idea of undead remnants of the GRoF.

Looking forward to more entries in this thread!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri May 06, 2011 7:20 pm

Havard wrote:Very cool!

I love the idea of undead remnants of the GRoF.

Looking forward to more entries in this thread!

-Havard
The Borean Valley was one of the largest Radiance-wasted battlefields from Blackmoor's campaigns against the Beastmen. There's a reason nobody goes there these days...

Good thing Radiant shadows are mostly mindless. Imagine what could happen if some undead were to gather them up into an army of pawns.... :twisted:
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Carillion
Troll

Post by Carillion » Sun May 08, 2011 7:29 pm

Looks like an interesting encounter!

Just out of interest, what is the HD variation based on? Is it connected with the level the person was when they were caught up in the radiance explosion, or is it based on something else?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Carillion wrote:Looks like an interesting encounter!

Just out of interest, what is the HD variation based on? Is it connected with the level the person was when they were caught up in the radiance explosion, or is it based on something else?
I looked at regular shadows when putting stats together, they weigh in at 2+2 HD. I figured "leveled" troops would warrant more HD, to be varied as the DM sees fit to challenge the party.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon May 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Other nasties the party from Thorn's Chronicle have faced:

"... a handful of raggedly-clad figures clamber[ed] slowly, silently over the rubble along the collapsed side of the chamber.

I shouted a warning, and charged ... bringing my staff down hard across outstretched hands.

The wood shivered in my grip — it felt as though I’d brought it down on columns of ice rather than flesh and bone. The thing wrenched its arm to one side, forcing me to catch my balance, and I glanced up to see those hands stretching towards me now, its mouth opened, a cold, hissing rasp rattling from a long-dead throat.

Jagged rows of ice had grown in where its teeth should have been, and wisps of frost trailed from its jaws like some kind of supernatural spittle. The hands that clutched towards me were caked in ice, the fingers broken apart, barbs and spurs of ice too conveniently shaped or placed at the tips to be natural.

Most frightening though, were the eyes. They burned an unholy icy blue — a cold, dead, hungry light. ..."

I needed something a bit stronger than a zombie, touched by the demonic winter that had settled over Karameikos.

Undead, Frostreaver*
Armor Class: 3 (or 6, see below)
Hit Dice: 3**
Move: 90’ (30’)
Attacks: 2 claws or 1 bite (see below)
Damage: 2-8/2-8 or 1d4 + Strength Drain (see below)
No. Appearing: 2-12
Save As: F:3
Morale: 11 (Fearless)
Treasure Type: Nil
XP Value: 85

Frostreaver undead are the result of animation of frozen corpses, in most cases appearing as solidly-frozen zombies. In place of claws, and teeth, though, these undead attack with hooked barbs of ice that encase their fingers, and their mouths are full of jagged icicles in place of teeth.

If both claw attacks hit, the victim is bitten automatically the next round, unless the victim makes a successful Strength check to escape.

The creature’s freezing bite drains 1 point of Strength, the weakness lasting 2d4 turns.

Once per day, the creature may breathe a cloud of icy mist, which inflicts the Strength drain on any caught within the 10’ diameter cloud. This attack is particularly devastating when a pack of frostreavers use it in concert.

Encased in ice as they are, fire-based attacks deal twice the damage to these creatures, and attacks with torches or flaming weapons attack vs. AC 6.

"...Jaleel flicked her blood-drenched fingers. Droplets of blood hit the flames surrounding the pit, and gave off angry, rattling hisses. Rather than be consumed by the flames, though, the droplets carried through the ring of flames, spattering on the floor before the steps leading to the altar.

The splash of flames didn’t gutter and go out, though. They curled, turning back on themselves, weaving into legs, flickering red-orange torsos, writing, whiplike lashes of flame licking out where arms would have been, had the shapes been humanoid. Two, and then a third took shape, rattling and hissing. Hunched, they stumped forwared on bowed legs, forming into a line. Headless though they were, twisting, gaps opened up in the flame-wrought torsos. The maws opened not to the steps behind them, though, but to darkness as deep and impenetrable as that of the pit in the center of the chamber..."

Fireling, Lesser*
Armor Class: 3
Hit Dice: 4+3*
Attacks: 2 tentacle + bite (see below)
Damage: 3-10 + Energy Drain (see below)
No. Appearing: 2-12
Save As: F:6
Morale: 11 (Fearless)
Treasure Type: Nil
XP Value: 275

Firelings are a chaotic fusing of a demon’s ethereal essence and druidic elemental fire. They usually take a manlike shape, standing anywhere from 4 to 6 feet tall at the shoulder. They have no heads, but sport gaping maws of darkness within the writhing reddish flames of their upper torsos. Rather than arms, firelings sport long, whiplike tentacles, which they lash at opponents, attempting to drag them into its maw for feeding.

A victim hit by both lash attacks is entagled (see Player’s Companion, page 3, or Rules Cyclopedia, page 64) and dragged into the creature’s mouth, to be bitten the next round. A fireling’s freezing bite drains 1 level from the character.

Firelings can only be harmed by silver or magical weapons.

While the creatures may appear to be beings of flame, they in fact radiate an aura of cold; flammable items do not catch fire if hit by a fireling’s lash attack. Firelings take an additional 1d4 points of damage from fire-based attacks, be they normal or magical in nature.
Rob

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon May 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Love these Rob! I can see much use for the Radiance Shadows.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue May 10, 2011 9:38 pm

RobJN wrote:Radiant shadows are the undead souls of those caught in the periphery of Radiance-based explosions. They appear as brilliantly glowing blue-white reflections of their former selves, mouths open wide in their final screams, hungry for the souls of others to ease the anguish brought on by the Radiance.
Cool! I love this idea - for every Asterius and Rafiel that the GRoF created, I'm sure there should be millions more of these guys. My shades idea (using Ghostwalk classes for the Shimmering Lands) is based on the same premise as well, although in that case the shades aren't mindless undead, but retain their own thoughts and memories (mostly).

Anyway, now that you have me thinking about this, these kinds of monsters could be a common nuisance near the Gate of Light area in the BC 2300 Shimmering Lands, especially during its yearly opening. I could see having to deal with these mindless undead as being a necessary side effect to extracting Radiance from the Gate.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 pm

RobJN wrote:The Borean Valley was one of the largest Radiance-wasted battlefields from Blackmoor's campaigns against the Beastmen. There's a reason nobody goes there these days...

Good thing Radiant shadows are mostly mindless. Imagine what could happen if some undead were to gather them up into an army of pawns.... :twisted:
Shudder - I now have the image of a demented beastman shaman/warlord turning what were once enemies of his people into his own mindless servants.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue May 10, 2011 10:06 pm

Chimpman wrote:
RobJN wrote:Radiant shadows are the undead souls of those caught in the periphery of Radiance-based explosions. They appear as brilliantly glowing blue-white reflections of their former selves, mouths open wide in their final screams, hungry for the souls of others to ease the anguish brought on by the Radiance.
Cool! I love this idea - for every Asterius and Rafiel that the GRoF created, I'm sure there should be millions more of these guys. My shades idea (using Ghostwalk classes for the Shimmering Lands) is based on the same premise as well, although in that case the shades aren't mindless undead, but retain their own thoughts and memories (mostly).

Anyway, now that you have me thinking about this, these kinds of monsters could be a common nuisance near the Gate of Light area in the BC 2300 Shimmering Lands, especially during its yearly opening. I could see having to deal with these mindless undead as being a necessary side effect to extracting Radiance from the Gate.
Perhaps they are not so "mindless" as they are "single-minded." I figure the stronger versions would have more and more free will, as undead tend to the more HD they have. It may even be possible that the most powerful of them are still able to cast spells, if they were able to in life.

Radiant shadows all display the same attraction to gold and gems, although it is unknown if it is a physical need (feeding?) or more psychological (need/want of the wealth it symbolizes.) They show an extreme aversion to silver -- it is one of the few substances able to harm them directly.
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue May 10, 2011 10:29 pm

RobJN wrote:Radiant shadows all display the same attraction to gold and gems, although it is unknown if it is a physical need (feeding?) or more psychological (need/want of the wealth it symbolizes.) They show an extreme aversion to silver -- it is one of the few substances able to harm them directly.
I wonder if that might have anything to do with the physical properties of the Radiance itself. Are gold and certain gems (for example) able to conduct the radiance better than other substances. Perhaps silver provides a "radiance barrier" of some type? Hmmm... what would that say about monsters like lycanthropes that are harmed by silver weapons...?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue May 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Chimpman wrote:
RobJN wrote:Radiant shadows all display the same attraction to gold and gems, although it is unknown if it is a physical need (feeding?) or more psychological (need/want of the wealth it symbolizes.) They show an extreme aversion to silver -- it is one of the few substances able to harm them directly.
I wonder if that might have anything to do with the physical properties of the Radiance itself. Are gold and certain gems (for example) able to conduct the radiance better than other substances. Perhaps silver provides a "radiance barrier" of some type? Hmmm... what would that say about monsters like lycanthropes that are harmed by silver weapons...?
I was thinking that it was a property of the Radiance -- members of the Brotherhood of the Radiance need something big, heavy and crystalline to store even the smallest amount of the Radiance's power. So, I'm thinking: gold and gems, in any amount could act as beacons for it. "Lightning rods" so to speak. My chemistry and physics is a bit weak, so I'm not entirely sure what effects RW radiation have on elements like gold and silver.

Silver has figured largely in events of Thorn's Chronicle, so why not tie it into the loop as well?
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Another beastie for your perusal, this one bubbling up from my thoughts of just why the gnolls could have posed such a threat to the Traldar. What if gnolls back then were tougher than gnolls of "today's" Mystara? Suppose those that escaped into the mountains and converged on what would become Karameikos were an earlier failed branch of Nithian experimentation.

Brute Gnoll
Armor Class: 4
Hit Dice: 3+2*
Attacks: 2 claws or by weapon
Damage: 1d6+2/1d6+2 or by weapon +2
No. Appearing: 1-6 (3-18)
Save As: Fighter: 4
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: (P) D
XP value: 75

Brute Gnolls were the initial failure of the Nithian’s attempt to create a servitor race based on Pflarr’s hutaaka. Several miscalculations resulted in the brute gnoll’s being created with greater strength and savagery than today’s common gnoll, as well as a severely lowered intelligence. Brute gnolls also manifest a low level of magical resistance.

Brute gnolls tower nearly eight feet tall at their hunched, massively broad shoulders. Their great paws dangle nearly to their knees, and are tipped with tough, sharp claws. Brute gnoll coloring ranges from dirty dishwater grays to browns to deep black. In all cases, their eyes have an almost albino-like shade of red, and are perpetually bloodshot.

Most brute gnolls attack with their claws, but occasionally one will be inspired to use something on hand as an improvised weapon (tree branches, furniture, halflings). In these cases, their great strength enables them to deal an additional two points of damage if they should hit.

A group of 12 or more brute gnolls is led by a pack leader, even larger and meaner than its peers. Pack leaders have 5 Hit Dice and deal 2d4 points of damage per claw attack. They are also able to bite for 1d4 points of damage, but only if at least one claw attack hits.

Brute gnolls are immune to 1st and 2nd level spells of clerical or magical nature.
Rob

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Love the idea of the Brute Gnoll!
There may have been several Gnoll Breeds coexisting back then, some which may now be extinct. IMC Bugbears and Bargha were also part of the same wave of Nithian origin humanoids invaders.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Another new beastie, finally slapped down in some form or another, as I was going over notes for TC2:

The Stone Dryad
Armor Class: 5
Hit Dice: 4***
Flying: 150’ (50’)
Attacks: 2 claws/1 bite + gaze
Damage: 1-3/1-3/1-4 + special (see below)
# Appearing: 1-6 (2-8)
Save As: Fighter: 8
Morale: 11
Treasure Type: Special (see below)
XP Value: 150

Stone dryads are a special sub-class of gargoyle, something thought to have originated in the days of Blackmoor. It is unclear whether they are a result of some sort of powerful curse, or experimentation by the Egg of Coot, the Wizard’s Cabal, or perhaps even the Technomages of Blackmoor University.

Like gargoyles, they are magical monsters, and can only be hit with magical weapons. They appear to be fashioned of stone, fanged, clawed, and winged, but unlike gargoyles, their aspect is one of unearthly beauty, with eyes of emerald or sapphire and teeth of ivory. First sight of one of these creatures, either under full lighting conditions or in the light of a full moon requires a Save vs Paralysis or the victim is struck by as if by a cause fear spell: 50% chance of dropping anything held, and fleeing at full speed for 2 turns, or cowering and unable to face the creature if running away is not possible). This only applies to the first time one of these creatures is seen, and succeeding in the Saving Throw or encountering another creature (or the same one) has no further fearful effect.

Those meeting the sapphire or emerald gaze of a stone dryad must Save vs Spells or be stunned. The stone dryad then attacks victims thus affected first, attempting to incapacitate them further.

Victims losing half their hit points or more to the stone dryad’s bite attack may contract the Stone Maiden’s curse: while their wounds may be healed normally, unless they have Remove Curse cast on them, they turn to stone on the first night of the full moon, bursting forth as as either gargoyles (if male) or stone dryads (if female) the second night.

Non-sentient creatures attacked by stone dryads merely turn to stone.

Stone dryads’ treasure can only be gained if they are slain under the light of the full moon. Upon reaching 0 hit points, the creatures crumble to dust, leaving behind an exquisitely cut emerald or sapphire worth 500 gold pieces.

On Thorn’s Mystara, these stones are much more valuable, having a 3 percent chance of actually being a Green or Blue dragonstone.
Rob

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:10 pm

I like it Rob!

I like monsters that are easy to visualize. Also, the mystery of their origin is intriguing :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 pm

Havard wrote:I like it Rob!

I like monsters that are easy to visualize. Also, the mystery of their origin is intriguing :)

-Havard
And the truth of their origin... well.... :twisted:
Rob

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:36 pm

RobJN wrote:members of the Brotherhood of the Radiance need something big, heavy and crystalline to store even the smallest amount of the Radiance's power.
Also Shadow Elf soul crystals.
So, I'm thinking: gold and gems, in any amount could act as beacons for it. "Lightning rods" so to speak. My chemistry and physics is a bit weak, so I'm not entirely sure what effects RW radiation have on elements like gold and silver.
Gold has a shielding effect just like lead due to density. In fact, Astronauts use a thin film of gold over their helmets to help protect against cosmic Alpha and Beta particles (but still allowing some visible light). Silver is a good reflector of visible light, but doesn't reflect Gamma radiation (which the radiance seems to be since it can permeate the ground). Thick layers of Silver and Gold (coinage, jewelry) wouldn't do much more than thick layers of other stuff, but a pouch of Gold might be enough to make a solid object that the shadows can sense (since living tissue would appear clear at Gamma wavelengths). Instead of "No-one move, their eyesight is based on movement" it's "Everyone drop your treasure."
The gemstones might refract or store traces of the radiance, making confusing patterns.
As to the silver reaction: Magic. Magic monsters seem vulnerable to silver quite often. :)

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Named for the battle mage who first triggered the effect during the Second Afridhi War:

Tenser's Transformation
Rob

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:41 pm

This is all great stuff, Rob! Love the brute gnolls especially. I could see isolated packs of them surviving in the hidden valleys and caves of the upper slopes of the Altan Tepes, and maybe a few in the interior of the Orclands and the southern valleys of Rockhome. And, of course, on the fringes of Nithia in the HW.

Consider them appropriated! :D
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 am

Seer of Yhog wrote:This is all great stuff, Rob! Love the brute gnolls especially.
Consider them appropriated! :D
I am honored. Let me know how many of your players they eat your players like 'em ;)
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 am

Not precisely new, but... improved! Now with Dragonstone Technology!

We give you.. The Dragonstone Lich
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Oh... I really like it - especially the ability to control/possess others. I'd love to see some specific personalities crafted for these roles. Who/what do you have in mind?

Of course (as always) I'm wondering how many of these liches could have survived the GRoF and might show up in BC 2300 (or beyond). How would their goals change once the nation that spawned them had already been destroyed?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Chimpman wrote:Oh... I really like it - especially the ability to control/possess others. I'd love to see some specific personalities crafted for these roles. Who/what do you have in mind?

Of course (as always) I'm wondering how many of these liches could have survived the GRoF and might show up in BC 2300 (or beyond). How would their goals change once the nation that spawned them had already been destroyed?
I haven't given a lot of thought to "who" just yet.

It is highly likely that a few have survived the GRoF. One, at least, sits on the throne of one of the lesser city-states of New Blackmoor in "present day" Thorn's Mystara...
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Somebody asked about trolls over at Dragonsfoot, and I though I'd mirror my thoughts over here, in case anybody was interested....

RobJN wrote:The trolls of Thorn's Mystara come in two varieties: the degenerate "normal" troll of the Expert Set/RC: tall, gangly, rubbery-skinned. These are the male offspring of the first generation of trolls, the so-called "Trueborn," all of which are female, who's beauty rivals that of nymphs and dryads, and who's capacity for evil and darkness make even fiends cower in fear. As the Trueborn use magic, they weaken, withering and finally succumbing to age(albeit their lifespans rival those of elves, once they finally cross that threshold), becoming more and more like their degenerate offspring.

Some say that in the past, Trolls had a great empire, but it fell into ruin as the Trueborn queens aged, the arrival of the night-worshipping Taymorans being the final nail in the trolls' dominance.

The fey and faeryfolk hate trolls with every fiber of their being, stemming from some great betrayal in ages past that caused the Trueborn to lose their "grace," and their offspring to be born truly monstrous. It is said that every thousand years, a female Trueborn is mothered, but unless it is secreted away from its mother, the Trueborn is likely to be eaten soon after birth. (Trolls will be trolls, after all...)
Rob

Return to “Mystara”