demi-plane of imprisonment=ravenloft?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
kristhomas
Bugbear

demi-plane of imprisonment=ravenloft?

Post by kristhomas » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:23 am

Is the demi-plane of imprisonment from the 1st edition manual of the planes ravenloft?

IMC it was but the ancient evil had escaped and the demi-plane was trapping darklords because they had traces of the ancient evil in them

What do u think?

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: demi-plane of imprisonment=ravenloft?

Post by night_druid » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:42 am

It was stated by TSR that Ravenloft is not the demi-plane of imprisonment. The two are separate things. I don't think it matters either way; I doubt WotC will ever revisit the demi-plane of imprisonment again, nor will we ever find out what was "really" in there (unless Gary said something on a website somewhere).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:30 pm

night_druid wrote:nor will we ever find out what was "really" in there (unless Gary said something on a website somewhere).
All Gary Gygax said about the Demiplane of Imprisonment was that he thought it was a stupid idea (it was invented after he left TSR). You can see the quote here:

Q3: Is he trapped in the "Demiplane of Imprisonment" from the description in Manual of the Planes?

"I don't think that the work cited is well thought out in this regard. If there was such a plane, it would be too well-known, and far too simple a matter to visit and pull a jail break, so to speak. Instead, envision if you will an infinite cosmos, and the potential to create all manner of new dimensional sets so removed from probabilities that a search of the combinations would take an eternity to complete but a fraction of the possibilities."

I suppose it's never been stated explicitly, but I thought it was obvious that the Demiplane of Imprisonment was Tharizdun's prison (or, if you use Monster Mythology's interpretation of the Elder Elemental God and the Dark God, it would be the Elder Elemental God's prison). However, Gary Gygax described his own, very different version of Tharizdun's prison in great detail in his novels Come Endless Darkness and Dance of Demons.

A Guide to the Ethereal Plane (2nd edition) wrote "Most cutters call this fabled place the Demiplane of Imprisonment, but more than a few planewalkers confuse it with the Demiplane of Dread. As far as the most learned sages can determine, the two are entirely different domains."

The most concrete description of the Demiplane of Imprisonment was in "Multiple Dementia" in Dragon #353, where it was described as "a swollen, crystalline cyst heavy with the presence of its shackled occupant... The ether around the Demiplane of Imprisonment literally bubbles and froths with the manifest dreamscapes of the imprisoned being's worshipers and others he reaches out to in the twilight of sleep. In the protomatter that shrouds the demiplane, these dreamscapes form, mature, and finally recede back into nothingness when the dreamers reawaken." There's more in that article, too, but it's clearly not Ravenloft.

That said, many have interpreted the Demiplane of Imprisonment as Ravenloft. The Demiplane of Dread is a demiplane of imprisonment, constructed by entities unknown to serve as a prison for beings of evil (and some beings of good). The idea that Tharizdun or the Elder Elemental God sleeps somewhere in the heart of the plane, drawing like-minded villains to him, creating the rest of the plane from his dreams, is a provocative one.

Alerion
Goblin

Post by Alerion » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:04 pm

I know that the Lord of the Necropolis has been declared non-canon, but I sort of liked the idea of Ravenloft acting as a "stepping stone" for some ancient evil entities to the prime material plane.

kristhomas
Bugbear

Post by kristhomas » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:26 am

Dreamscapes...mmm...the Nightmare Lands?

Return to “Ravenloft”