[Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]: Play-by-post interest?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Would you be interested in participating in a play-by-post game set in Thorn's Mystara?

Yes! Present day (Winter, AC 998 Karameikos, either TC1 or alpha-testing TC2)
17%
Yes! Present day (AC 998, elsewhere in the Known World, "Thorn-ized" existing B or X module)
19%
Yes! Thorn's World That Was: Handmaidens' Karameikos (~BC 986)
8%
Yes! Thorn's World That Was: Ancient Blackmoor (Uther's day, ~BC 3985)
13%
Yes! Thorn's World That Was: Blackmoor Ascendant: The Beastman Crusades (~BC 3500)
8%
Yes! Thorn's World That Was: Last Days of Blackmoor
17%
Yes! Thorn's World that Was: Southern Grondheim, Lands of the Troll Queen, BC 2300ish
8%
Yes! Some other time period/location (please elaborate below)
6%
No. Get back to work on the Chronicle
2%
No. Get back to work on the Adventure Path modules
2%

Total votes: 48

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]: Play-by-post interest?

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:11 pm

RobJN wrote: Havard, would it be better to host anything Blackmoor related at the Comeback Inn? This would most likely be way outside Rafe's "Company of the Maiden" continuity.....
You are very much welcome to host the game at the Comeback Inn! We are not restricted to keeping things within that continuity. We have even hosted some Mystara games there in the past.
Let me know what you need and I will set it up for you! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:18 pm

So far, it's 'existing module, Thorn-ized' and 'Last days of Blackmoor' running neck and neck. I would be inclined to run Blackmoor just based off the chatter... So if you have another preference, speak up, Readers!
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:48 pm

I actually voted for either the 2 present day options, the 998 BC option or the BC 2300 option... but I'm open for Blackmoor as well. The Historical campaigns are the ones that interest me the most. If we go with the Last Days of Blackmoor I assume we'll be exploring something related to the BC 3000 catastrophe, which suits me just fine.

Actually (regarding the Blackmoor campaign) I'd love to explore any of these ideas:
1) Famous mortals (including those who might become immortals) - Rafiel, Asterious, Garal, etc. The Drachenfels are a great idea as well.
2) Technologies/magic that might be hinted at during a modern campaign, but that are no longer known - this could be related to magic that was rediscovered and lost in other eras - Nithian magic could be related. Perhaps characters like advanced warforged. Something like that.
3) I'd love exploring those epic villains from Mystara's past. The Egg of Coot. Zargon. Carnifex. Fey. ...Aliens...

On a more personal not I'd also love to see anything that could be tied into/provide more ideas for a Mystara 2300 BC campaign.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:43 am

Chimpman wrote:I actually voted for either the 2 present day options, the 998 BC option or the BC 2300 option... but I'm open for Blackmoor as well. The Historical campaigns are the ones that interest me the most. If we go with the Last Days of Blackmoor I assume we'll be exploring something related to the BC 3000 catastrophe, which suits me just fine.
Oh, yes, it would. Indeed. :twisted:
Chimpman wrote:Actually (regarding the Blackmoor campaign) I'd love to explore any of these ideas:
1) Famous mortals (including those who might become immortals) - Rafiel, Asterious, Garal, etc. The Drachenfels are a great idea as well.
Something I hadn't even considered, but a really cool idea, even if just used for background "set dressing"
Chimpman wrote:2) Technologies/magic that might be hinted at during a modern campaign, but that are no longer known - this could be related to magic that was rediscovered and lost in other eras - Nithian magic could be related. Perhaps characters like advanced warforged. Something like that.
Warforged would be on the table as an available race/class. Not sure if a soulbound construct would be playable or NPC(s).
Chimpman wrote:3) I'd love exploring those epic villains from Mystara's past. The Egg of Coot. Zargon. Carnifex. Fey. ...Aliens...
The Egg, Fey, aliens escaped from the City of the Gods... could all be potential adversaries in Uther's Blackmoor. Zargon would definitely make its presence known in a Thorn-ized B4. An Elder-kartoeba, perhaps..? Or The Egg of Coot, hatched? Hmmm
Chimpman wrote:On a more personal not I'd also love to see anything that could be tied into/provide more ideas for a Mystara 2300 BC campaign.
Thus the potential "Troll Queen's Saga" adventures ;)
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

andrewcottrell
Kobold

Post by andrewcottrell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:36 am

Ahh! The Egg!
(+1000 Roleplay Nerd Points to anyone who gets the reference)

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:27 am

Don't forget to chime in with which B or X module you'd like to see converted. :mrgreen:
Rob

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:46 am

The Lost City (actually prefer Dwellers of the Forbidden City), or Master of the Desert Nomads.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:57 am

Baron wrote:The Lost City (actually prefer Dwellers of the Forbidden City), or Master of the Desert Nomads.
Noted. Thanks for the feedback!
Rob

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Huhu, double post!
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rise, O artist, from thy slumbers - hasten from thy couch unworthy;
Forge from gold the Moon for Northland - forge anew the Sun from silver..."

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi Rob, and all others!

1. Goddamn, DO IT IN BLACKMOOR! I want to join, actually! :D

2. Concerning the LFC, if you are hellbent on doing something during the eras we cover, I certainly won't veto your game, or whatever! :shock:

I would recommend you, though, also speaking as somebody who just invited himself to your game, that you try another era, simply, because we have beaten DA-era Blackmoor to death in the LFC,
and really, offered an explanation for every mystery the setting had to offer. So, repeating the same story arcs, and treating with the same overall themes might be a bit boring for people at this point in time.
(With the LFC being over for six months, and our sister games still running.)

Speaking as somebody who is interested in joining (did I mention that already?!), I would like to see some of the stuff that is unique to your Thorn continuity, like Blackmoor Ascendant, or the Last Days of Blackmoor.

That would not only fit in well with the basic situation we have established in the LFC, but also, quite simply, be an experience I'd like to make as a player, given what I read from you so far!

So, please think about it! :D

And since I am giving one of my rare appearances on the piazza (this ugly, ugly, ugly place that wants to steal Blackmoor's finest viking), probably a clarification:

While I am not very delighted to see the viking speak for me :twisted:, the thing you need to know about the Last Fantasy Campaign is that it was magnificient, and awesome, but also, that it is OVER.

See, the LFC was created out of a consensus that we, the people that are responsible for the creation of Comeback Inn, and other "Arnesonian" fan projects, thought that it was a shame that Blackmoor never got a real epilogue,
and so, with the blessing and the participation of many of the people involved in the original Blackmoor game and the formal publication of Blackmoor products, we gave it one.

So, for the time of its run, we were obviously interested in preserving our legitimation as THE Blackmoor game, and, so to speak, to defend our brand,
which is why I in particular demanded a strong focus of the Comeback Inn on the game. Now, you can argue with me if that was "fair" towards other DMs, but the end result is that we have a 8.000 pages (no kidding) script
of a Blackmoor game that can pass for a novel, as well as the soon-to-be released 200-page LFC Companion, that can very well stand as as a sourcebook for Blackmoor on its own. This sourcebook will hopefully
enable people to continue to play in Blackmoor even when the official resources aren't available any more, for whatever reason (hellooooo SOPA).

Again, the idea if this was not to suppress other people's visions of the game, or to put some sort of claim on Blackmoor, but to accomplish something we realized couldn't be done by anybody else.
And now you have it, and the Company of the Maiden and I hope you enjoy it, and that whenever you meet one of us, you buy us a beer, a pretzel, and in my specific case, that you introduce me to your beautiful daughter.

But gaming worlds live from that they are played. And that means that we of the Comeback Inn, and I in particular, will never forbid, fight, or, in the broadest sense, not tolerate other people's takes on Blackmoor.
In fact, if you come over to the board, you might find that we will actively support you with virtually everything you do, as long as it makes sense.

Now, to also be frank, it might not be bad to know the basic plots of the LFC (for example, that Uther has a bastard son called Mordred, and that Sven Ithamis becomes king in the end),
simply because rehashing the same themes with people that played in the LFC is kind of boring. Like, the whole first part of the LFC was set around the Blackmoorian reconquest of the Duchy of Ten,
and the second part dealt with the loss of Castle Blackmoor against the Coot. Really, half a year later, you want to invite the same people to replay the same scenario, again? :P
You wouldn't do that at your gaming table either... I hope! :o

TLDR

Run that damn game for me, Rob!
And everybody else is welcome at the CBI, too, not just the "Maidens".

Yours,

Rafe

ps: PLEASE BUY MY MORDRED BOOK WHEN IT COMES OUT

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Rafe, thanks for the thoughtful post. On lunch at work, but I'll respond when I get home in another few hours...

And... are those your votes for "get back to work on the fiction"?? :oops:
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:25 pm

Le Noir Faineant wrote:Hi Rob, and all others!

1. Goddamn, DO IT IN BLACKMOOR! I want to join, actually! :D

2. Concerning the LFC, if you are hellbent on doing something during the eras we cover, I certainly won't veto your game, or whatever! :shock:

I would recommend you, though, also speaking as somebody who just invited himself to your game, that you try another era, simply, because we have beaten DA-era Blackmoor to death in the LFC, and really, offered an explanation for every mystery the setting had to offer. So, repeating the same story arcs, and treating with the same overall themes might be a bit boring for people at this point in time.
(With the LFC being over for six months, and our sister games still running.)

Speaking as somebody who is interested in joining (did I mention that already?!), I would like to see some of the stuff that is unique to your Thorn continuity, like Blackmoor Ascendant, or the Last Days of Blackmoor.

That would not only fit in well with the basic situation we have established in the LFC, but also, quite simply, be an experience I'd like to make as a player, given what I read from you so far!
:oops: High praise indeed!

Thorn's Mystara (and, by extension, the World That Was) is about alternate explanations, twists on the common tropes of the setting. Thorn's World That Was is a very different place than the Maiden's Blackmoor. While adventuring in Uther's Age Blackmoor people and places will more than likely be very different from those laid out in either the DA modules, the d20 material, and (hopefully!) the Company of the Maiden's coverage. Note that I have intentionally kept from reading the 8,000 pages so as not to have that work influence my own 8,000 pages of Thorn's Chronicle. Seven years of gaming goodness is a lot to try to absorb, and I would very much like to read through the material some day soon.

Uther's Age adventuring would include (at least) one siege of Blackmoor, a possible side-trip to the City of the Gods, and rescuing Rowena from the Skandaharans from Leansethar. And, of course, there is the infamous wedding....

Le Noir Faineant wrote:Again, the idea if this was not to suppress other people's visions of the game, or to put some sort of claim on Blackmoor, but to accomplish something we realized couldn't be done by anybody else.
And now you have it, and the Company of the Maiden and I hope you enjoy it, and that whenever you meet one of us, you buy us a beer, a pretzel, and in my specific case, that you introduce me to your beautiful daughter.
It's times like this that make me doubly glad I have no offspring of my own...
Le Noir Faineant wrote:But gaming worlds live from that they are played. And that means that we of the Comeback Inn, and I in particular, will never forbid, fight, or, in the broadest sense, not tolerate other people's takes on Blackmoor.
In fact, if you come over to the board, you might find that we will actively support you with virtually everything you do, as long as it makes sense.

Now, to also be frank, it might not be bad to know the basic plots of the LFC (for example, that Uther has a bastard son called Mordred, and that Sven Ithamis becomes king in the end), simply because rehashing the same themes with people that played in the LFC is kind of boring. Like, the whole first part of the LFC was set around the Blackmoorian reconquest of the Duchy of Ten, and the second part dealt with the loss of Castle Blackmoor against the Coot. Really, half a year later, you want to invite the same people to replay the same scenario, again? :P
You wouldn't do that at your gaming table either... I hope! :o
Another excellent reason to set the game well ahead of the "usual" Blackmoor campaigns, say.... 500 or so years, and well into the third Beastman Crusade. The Empire hangs on the edge of a knife, alliances once thought long-cemented in tradition are crumbling faster than the Beastmen breed, and the silence from the Woods and Dragons does not bode well for the fate of Men of the North....
Le Noir Faineant wrote:TLDR

Run that damn game for me, Rob!
Once I settle on an era and a number of players.

Honestly, I didn't expect even THIS many people to chomp at the carrot...... :o
Rob

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:45 pm

I trust in Thorn's Blackmoor. That is all I am going to say. :ugeek:

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:45 pm

:o I love how you guys make these covers! Where do you find the artwork?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Google? Coolvibe.com, and various screen caps from anime and movies I have. The piece used in "Blackmoor Ascendant" is called "Hide and Seek" by Marek Okton. The "frame" of the Alternity Fantasy covers comes from the covers of the various Star*Drive products, plus a bit of color alteration.

Next-generation "Basic D&D" TC module covers are up on the blog. "Endless Quest" fans may notice an homage to that series' cover art element, and a little surprise, as well... :x
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Up on the blog:

First glimpse: The Throne of the Stars
A PL6:Magitech: Last Days of Blackmoor Alternity adventure for 4 to 6 characters, levels 1-3
Rob

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm

RobJN wrote:Up on the blog:

First glimpse: The Throne of the Stars
A PL6:Magitech: Last Days of Blackmoor Alternity adventure for 4 to 6 characters, levels 1-3
Hooray! :)

Where do I send my application?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:32 pm

LOL. Soon.

The staging is pretty much laid out, but I need to finish filling in some details, laying out some final plot threads, and broad-brushing the scene structures within each act.

Not sure if right-before-the-holidays is a good time to start, though. I know normal people have things like "kids" and "familes"..... :?

Since it's going to be Blackmoor, I need to work with one of you at the Comeback Inn for...er... whatever it is I'll need there. :oops:
Rob

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 pm

RobJN wrote:Since it's going to be Blackmoor, I need to work with one of you at the Comeback Inn for...er... whatever it is I'll need there. :oops:
I'll need help developing the character.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:15 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
RobJN wrote:Since it's going to be Blackmoor, I need to work with one of you at the Comeback Inn for...er... whatever it is I'll need there. :oops:
I'll need help developing the character.
Alternity is crazily open-ended when it comes to character development. The first step, which you don't need any of the books for anyway, is "develop a concept." If you can think it up, chances are we can get the system to work around your idea one way or another.

I'll be putting together some character development material over the next week or so.

Jump start, for those interested: Magitech Blackmoor could be considered more "near future" than "far future." While energy is cheap, plentiful, and clean, Men have not looked much past the planet's orbit in terms of space travel. Magic has reached its peak, and is actually in something of a decline as Men rely more and more on the -tech side of the "magitech." It is getting to the point that machines are better able to do some things than magic ever could. The Wizard's Cabal is seen as a something of a relic from ages past, the few remaining full practitioners as somewhat backwards. After all, they still read from books, for Sollux's sake! :roll:
Rob

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:59 am

RobJN wrote:The staging is pretty much laid out, but I need to finish filling in some details, laying out some final plot threads, and broad-brushing the scene structures within each act.
Not sure if right-before-the-holidays is a good time to start, though. I know normal people have things like "kids" and "familes"..... :?
Actually, autumn season is pretty much is the
Since it's going to be Blackmoor, I need to work with one of you at the Comeback Inn for...er... whatever it is I'll need there. :oops:
Opened you a section over there, gave you mod rights for that section. We have no fixed hierarchy at the CBI, so simply talk to whoever is available. :)

If you have technical issues, though, or want something in particular, like a dice roller, you need to talk to Angelo, though.
I am a big HTML enthusiast - in that I like to use the internet, but my coding efforts have been rather terrible.

So, Angelo is definitely the go-to-guy for that.
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Le Noir Faineant
Rafael

Post by Le Noir Faineant » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:11 am

First sketch is online:

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=65

Tell me how/what/so on, please.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Huzzah!

Great job Mr Noir! ;)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Le Noir Faineant wrote:
Actually, autumn season is pretty much is the
... good? bad?
Le Noir Faineant wrote:Opened you a section over there, gave you mod rights for that section. We have no fixed hierarchy at the CBI, so simply talk to whoever is available. :)

If you have technical issues, though, or want something in particular, like a dice roller, you need to talk to Angelo, though.
I am a big HTML enthusiast - in that I like to use the internet, but my coding efforts have been rather terrible.

So, Angelo is definitely the go-to-guy for that.
W00t! Thanks for this!
Rob

Return to “Mystara”