[7th Sea] Cathay: The Jewel of the East

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[7th Sea] Cathay: The Jewel of the East

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:36 am

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from a thread about Rokugan called [Rokugan] Did you know that Lot5R had a subsetting?

That's a pretty interesting map Rip!

To be honest I never really liked how the 7th Sea setting was so similar to Europe, only not. Rokugan worked better for me since it is Japanese/Chinese in flavour, but yet clearly a fantasy setting.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Rokugan] Did you know that Lot5R had a subsetting?

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:10 am

Havard wrote:That's a pretty interesting map Rip!

To be honest I never really liked how the 7th Sea setting was so similar to Europe, only not. Rokugan worked better for me since it is Japanese/Chinese in flavour, but yet clearly a fantasy setting.

-Havard
Yeah, Rokugan's full of goblins and trolls and nezumi and nagas and things, while 7th Sea seems to be just humans. They don't really make sense as the same world unless you add fantasy races like elves and dwarves and hobbits and lupins and rakasta or whatever.

I think the idea that they're part of the same planet is just fan speculation, anyway.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Rokugan] Did you know that Lot5R had a subsetting?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:57 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Havard wrote:That's a pretty interesting map Rip!

-Havard
Yeah, Rokugan's full of goblins and trolls and nezumi and nagas and things, while 7th Sea seems to be just humans. They don't really make sense as the same world unless you add fantasy races like elves and dwarves and hobbits and lupins and rakasta or whatever.

I think the idea that they're part of the same planet is just fan speculation, anyway.
I'm tempted to suggest that we split off your two posts and have a conversation about 7th Sea's Cathay setting. From doing a bit of research there was a sourcebook, called Cathay: The Jewel of the East, that had this map ommitted from it. The map is on the FAQ page for Cathay: The Jewel of the East.

<moderator hat>
MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from a thread about Rokugan called [Rokugan] Did you know that Lot5R had a subsetting?
</moderator hat>

So, does anyone have this book? Is Cathay an all human setting too? That might be an interesting alternative to some people, as most of the oriental campaign settings I see seem to have a tie-in with anthro-animals.

IIRC 7th Sea was part d20 and part non-d20 (I remember getting confused by one sea based setting that had two names in its product line and two rules systems.) Are there d20 System rules for Cathay, or would you need to convert stuff using WotC's Oriental Adventures as a guide?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [7th Sea] Cathay: The Jewel of the East

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 am

I didn't know they had published a separate sourcebook for Cathay, but it looks to me like it is a supplement to 7th Sea rather than a separate RPG. Cathay appears to be an analogy of China.

I think it is highly likely that this is not a d20 supplement as AEG seems to have gone back to their house system, using dice pools of d10s with the roll and keep mechanic. (Roll a bunch of dice, but keep only some).

Also, 7th Sea/L5R are not big on non-human PCs, though at least in L5R some other creatures such as goblins and ogres do exist (as mentioned by Rip). 7th Sea does have Faeries IIRC, but again not as PCs.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:15 am

Havard wrote:I didn't know they had published a separate sourcebook for Cathay, but it looks to me like it is a supplement to 7th Sea rather than a separate RPG. Cathay appears to be an analogy of China.

I think it is highly likely that this is not a d20 supplement as AEG seems to have gone back to their house system, using dice pools of d10s with the roll and keep mechanic. (Roll a bunch of dice, but keep only some).
That page I linked to mentions the d20 System:
FAQ about Cathay: The Jewel of the East™ wrote:Jiu Jie Bien
Damage correction for d20™: Requires Exotic Weapons Proficiency. Damage 1d6 +2; 19-20 (x2 Critical), Bludgeoning and Piercing; range of 10 ft.

For R&K: Use Chain Skill (3k2)

Pg. 59, Sayari Razak, Magic – delete “Blood Mark” and “Burning Blood”
Also the product page confirms it is duel-stat:
Cathay: Jewel of the East
SKU #: 8556
ISBN #: 1-887953-86-8
Release: June, 2003
(144 pages, softbound)

Travel beyond the Firewall… to a land of mystery and magic unlike anything else in the fabled lands of Théah.

At long last, the most mysterious of Théah's nations is revealed! For thousands of years, the hidden kingdom of Cathay has remained isolated behind a towering wall of flame. From the golden palace of the Celestial Empress to the fearsome Treasure Fleet that rules the eastern seas, no mystery shall remain hidden to those daring enough to venture forth. Keep your weapons - and your wits - sharp, for the ways of the East are now open!

Comprehensive details on the ancient Imperial Kingdom of Cathay: her past, her people and the astounding beings that claim her as their home.
  • Rules for Cathayan characters as well as new magic and fighting schools - suitable for use in Théah or any swashbuckling campaign.
  • Adventure hooks, new skills, thorough campaign outlines and more!
  • Completely compatible with both the d20 system and 7th Sea's classic roll-and-keep rules
R&K is going to be their "roll and keep" rules. I'm guessing they will only be supporting those, if the line continues.
Havard wrote:Also, 7th Sea/L5R are not big on non-human PCs, though at least in L5R some other creatures such as goblins and ogres do exist (as mentioned by Rip). 7th Sea does have Faeries IIRC, but again not as PCs.
They do have something called "The Sidhe Book of Nightmares" in the product line. The Sidhe are supposed to be hidden, so I guess they could also be in Cathay.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:
They do have something called "The Sidhe Book of Nightmares" in the product line. The Sidhe are supposed to be hidden, so I guess they could also be in Cathay.
IIRC the Sidhe are connected to Avalon, which is the 7th Sea Analogy to Britain. But of course that doesnt mean there cannot be Sidhe elsewhere as well.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
IIRC the Sidhe are connected to Avalon, which is the 7th Sea Analogy to Britain. But of course that doesnt mean there cannot be Sidhe elsewhere as well.
I've seen Sidhe in other products and it has been shorthand for "Irish elves". I'm not sure if 7th Sea's Sidhe are supposed to be Irish or some other type of British. :?

Return to “Oriental Adventures”