Font MyZtara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Font MyZtara

Post by agathokles » Tue May 29, 2012 10:51 am

It seems a good option.

GP

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue May 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Great job, Culture20! I'm impressed!
LoZompatore, do you have any objections to being attributed in the fontinfo text (since I used your basic outlines and character heights)?
I just scanned a few covers and extracted the single letters, I don't deserve such an honour. Just write "other fans of Mystara" (or something like that), if you like :)

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 pm

LoZompatore wrote:Great job, Culture20! I'm impressed!
It sounds more impressive than it is. Fontforge can do a lot of things automatically (even kerning, but it's much better to do that by hand). Most of the glyphs are things like where forntforge takes the base glyph "e" and adds the circumflex and tilde from their entries and automatically builds the new glyph.
LoZompatore, do you have any objections to being attributed in the fontinfo text (since I used your basic outlines and character heights)?
I just scanned a few covers and extracted the single letters, I don't deserve such an honour. Just write "other fans of Mystara" (or something like that), if you like :)
Ah, but you had the idea! Without that idea, I probably would not have decided to do it at all. I almost decided against it until I found out that typesets can't be copyrighted in the United States (fonts can; the difference being a typeset is the design/shape and the font is the computer file that makes the shapes). There is such a thing as a design patent but it can't extend beyond 14 years (25 years in Europe) and Feinen was created in 1983 or earlier.

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:30 am

Still kerning, but it's close enough to show a demo pdf. Does anyone see anything wrong with the letter spacing, size, shapes, etc? I've been trying to correct errors as I see them, but I'm beginning to tire of starting up fontforge every evening. ;)
The first page shows all or nearly all of the glyphs, including a difference between some kerned and unkerned text.
The next series of pages are mostly the atlas main page from the Vaults since it has a ton of Mystara place names that people can compare to maps.
After that (and a list of names from around the Gulf of Hule) is sample text from fontforge from multiple languages to check non-english glyphs.
And since it's a PDF, you should be able to zoom in to arbitrary levels.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 am

Cool!

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 am

That demo looks pretty excellent to me. Great job!

refgards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm

AllanP wrote:That demo looks pretty excellent to me. Great job!
Thanks for the praise, but I'm intentionally looking for critical remarks so that I can make it better while I still have interest/time to do so. :)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:43 pm

There isn't much criticism I can do -- I'm not that good with typefaces. The ' (apostrophe) seems a bit high, I'm not sure it's intentional.

GP

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Version 0.9 release! I fixed the above-mentioned apostrophe, and lots of other issues.
The zip file below contains the TTF and the fontforge spline font database (source file)
http://php.indiana.edu/~djtavria/rpg/My ... _11_24.zip
Released under the SIL Open Font License 1.1

If anyone wants to sort through hundreds of pages of characters, here's the latest kerning-pair pdf I generated. I'm certain there are still some pairs that look wrong, but I'm starting to get bored of looking for them again (so it's time to release this to the world before it becomes yet another dropped project):
http://php.indiana.edu/~djtavria/rpg/my ... npairs.pdf

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Beautiful! You created a whole army of letters and symbols! I'm truly impressed. :o

Thanks a lot for the credits, but I feel that this work is actually and fully yours. ;)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Thanks for posting this!

GP

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:49 am

Awesome!
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:44 am

Looks like you've done a great job with this. Your kerning pairs look a little tight in a few places - most notably AT. But you could tweak those for years and still not get it perfect.

Might I suggest that you generate a faux italic version to go with it? Feinen has no proper italic set, and in fact when I bought it a few years ago from Datascan, I had to specifically request that they create a faux italic version for me. Some programs allow you to set bold and italic without the appropriate file (i.e. faux italics/faux bold), but many programs don't. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see an italic font file.

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Thorf wrote:Looks like you've done a great job with this. Your kerning pairs look a little tight in a few places - most notably AT. But you could tweak those for years and still not get it perfect.
Thanks! I'll take a closer look at AT pair when I create the italic/bold fonts.
Might I suggest that you generate a faux italic version to go with it?
If I recall correctly, it should be very simple to generate a faux italic and a bold version too (why not bold italic while I'm at it). I believe fontforge has a skew function that can be applied to all the glyphs. Are there any glyphs that should change shape (other than skewing) when italicized?

I haven't checked the Vaults lately, but if Shawn doesn't have the files linked to on this page yet, could someone ask him to include them? I'm going to need to host the files elsewhere before the end of 2013 and I'm not certain how long it will take me before I find a suitable place.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:58 am

It's 100% faux italic, so there is little or no tweaking necessary. (The kerning might need a few tweaks, but that's about all.)

Regarding the bold - faux bold is not a good idea. In fact, MyZtara is already bold - it's a clone of Feinen Bold. It's Feinen Regular that is missing, and that is basically a whole different font.

Return to “Mystara”