Anyone got Sengoku?

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Anyone got Sengoku?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Has anyone got Sengoku, from Gold Rush Games? Could this modified Japan* be raided from the book and used as a campaign setting for Oriental Adventures?

* = From what I can tell it is Japan + Japanese mythology.

Here are a few links for anyone that has not heard of this:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Yojimbo
Orc

Re: Anyone got Sengoku?

Post by Yojimbo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:26 am

Yes, I have it. It's very detailed but also very dry. I think the core book and the ninja book are two of the best treatments of the Sengoku Jidai and ninja respectively in terms of historical accuracy. I really think it's a great addition to your library as a reference work. However, as a game in its own right I found it a bit lacking.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 06, 2013 8:51 am

Yojimbo wrote:Yes, I have it. It's very detailed but also very dry. I think the core book and the ninja book are two of the best treatments of the Sengoku Jidai and ninja respectively in terms of historical accuracy. I really think it's a great addition to your library as a reference work. However, as a game in its own right I found it a bit lacking.
Thanks, Yojimbo.

So was it the RPG system that you found lacking? Or is there something not quite right with the way the campaign setting (other than the Sengoku Jidai and ninja) work?

Do you think a conversion to Oriental Adventures rules would be possible?

Do you think that Sengoku could work better if used with a different rules system (like one of the two versions of Oriental Adventures or something else)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Yojimbo
Orc

Post by Yojimbo » Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Yojimbo wrote:Yes, I have it. It's very detailed but also very dry. I think the core book and the ninja book are two of the best treatments of the Sengoku Jidai and ninja respectively in terms of historical accuracy. I really think it's a great addition to your library as a reference work. However, as a game in its own right I found it a bit lacking.
Thanks, Yojimbo.

So was it the RPG system that you found lacking? Or is there something not quite right with the way the campaign setting (other than the Sengoku Jidai and ninja) work?

Do you think a conversion to Oriental Adventures rules would be possible?

Do you think that Sengoku could work better if used with a different rules system (like one of the two versions of Oriental Adventures or something else)?
The RPG system is a Fuzion based system which is perfectly serviceable but a bit workmanlike. The source material is presented a bit dryly but is very complete and detailed. On the whole it's very similar to a typical GURPS sourcebook, detailed but dry.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”