[Kulan] Western Kanpur|Bluffside PbP Campaign Guide

The homebrew world of Knightfall.

Moderator: Knightfall

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: New Kulan PbP Campaign

Post by Knightfall »

dulsi wrote:Well I started looking more at the information on your world and various material I had. I was thinking the Phanaton Druid with Druidic Avenger, another druid variant and Whirling Frenzy. I was think his people would be found in Caesaira. However I don't have a good reason for him to be so far north and the character feels too complex. (I was thinking he could have been captured or following someone to retrieve something stolen but neither of those ideas really appealed to me.) I've started looking more at the northwest region to get inspiration for a character that can fit in better.
While I'm pretty open minded about character development, it would be best to stick to to the Northwest region for your inspiration. Yes, hihama's character is from the Far North and David's character is from the Dark Continent (sort of), but I'd prefer it if a few character origins are from the Northwest. If the campaign goes for awhile (which is what I'm hoping), replacement PCs, if required, could be more exotic.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

How do you feel about the Mage Blade from Arcana Evolved? It requires a bladed weapon. Would that be restricted to sword like weapons or would an axe be ok? Specifically I'm thinking a dwarf with an axe. For spell casting, he would view it as asking his ancestors and/or spirits for help more than be a spell caster.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

dulsi wrote:How do you feel about the Mage Blade from Arcana Evolved? It requires a bladed weapon. Would that be restricted to sword like weapons or would an axe be ok? Specifically I'm thinking a dwarf with an axe. For spell casting, he would view it as asking his ancestors and/or spirits for help more than be a spell caster.
I would prefer that you stick to core D&D books. While I do have a copy of Arcana Unearthed, I don't have the updated version. Also, I want this game to be strictly D&D v.3.5, which AE is not. There are two many differences between the two rule-sets for me to be comfortable allowing it in a Kulan game.

Now, if you absolutely have to go off the mark for a character, I recommend you stick to d20 system books that I own and are v.3.5 compatible. If you like Malhavoc books, I suggest picking something from The Complete Book of Eldritch Might. That's one of the main Malhavoc books that I use for Kulan.

There are restrictions on the classes and prestige classes based on region, however. (See here.) Class restrictions are less tight than prestige class restrictions.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

How about a gnome fighter who used to enslaved in Talangrán? He attempted escape a few times, sometimes alone and sometimes with others. While many of the others were killed, he survived. Eventually he succeeded but lost everyone else with him. The helmet he acquired during his escape has a skull painted on it. He is not really sure of the point of going on but refuses to lay down without a fight.

Endurance will be the bonus feat and diehard his 1st feat.
ImageImage

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

dulsi wrote:How about a gnome fighter who used to enslaved in Talangrán? He attempted escape a few times, sometimes alone and sometimes with others. While many of the others were killed, he survived. Eventually he succeeded but lost everyone else with him. The helmet he acquired during his escape has a skull painted on it. He is not really sure of the point of going on but refuses to lay down without a fight.

Endurance will be the bonus feat and diehard his 1st feat.
I like it!! :D :cool:

It's always interesting having a gnome in the party, and a gnome fighter would be an interesting twist. Hmm, I don't think I've ever had a player who wanted to play a gnome.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

Okay, that's four PCs. That's enough to get us into the next stage. I want to see a finalized character posted here with stats, background, personality traits, and anything else you all want to include. I like details so go nuts! ;)

The first adventure will likely be a short sidetrek adventure to work out the rust and for everyone to get to know everyone else in-game and out. The main thread (once created) will be for in-character conversation only. I'll create an out-of-character (OOC) thread in The Crystal Globe forum, as well. This thread will remain open for character updates and XP award notices.

Expect me to post in-character challenges for you all from time to time.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon »

Sorry for the delay in working on my character, it is on my agenda for tomorrow.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Sorry for the delay in working on my character, it is on my agenda for tomorrow.
Whenever you can, Charles. Dennis still has to post his character too.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

David, is your character complete?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Robert, here is updated version of Pekko. I have added some information here and there. At the end is short description of his personality. Anything important I'm missing?

Pekko Lempoinen
Male human cleric (Ahto) 5
NG medium humanoid (human)
XPs 13,207

Height: 180
Weight: 80
Light brown, shoulder-long hair; short, brown beard; green eyes

Str: 15, Dex: 15, Con: 16, Int: 14, Wis: 17, Cha: 14
Init: +2
AC: 17; touch: 12; flat-footed: 15
hp: 39 (5d8 + 15) | currently 37
Fort: +7, Ref: +3, Will: +7
Speed: 30 ft (6 spaces)
Melee: quarterstaff (1d6+3)
Melee: trident (1d8+3)
Base Attack Bonus +3

Domains: Water, Weather
Holy Symbol: Medallion depicting rippling wave of water
Spells per day: 0:5, 1st: 4+1, 2nd: 3+1, 3rd: 2+1
Normal spell choices: 0: Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Poison, Guidance, Purify Food and Drink;
1: Bless Water, Comprehend Languages, Divine Favor, Endure Elements; Obscuring Mist;
2: Delay Poison, Make Whole, Silence; Fog Cloud;
3: Create Food and Water, Daylight; Water Breathing
Turn Undead: 5 times a day
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (Trident)
Skills: Concentration +6, Diplomacy +7, Heal +10, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (history) +7 Knowledge (religion) +8, Profession (fisherman) +4, Survival +7, Swim +4
Supernatural abilities: Turn or destroy fire creatures, Rebuke, command or bolster water creatures, 5 times a day
Languages: Kotimen (Finnish), Novarese, Cliff Speak

Possessions: studded leather armor, trident, quarterstaff, heavy wooden shield, holy symbol, backpack, belt pouch, bedroll, flint and steel, trail rations (10 days), waterskin, healing potion
pp 1, gp 97, sp 5, cp 6

Pekko was born in small fishing village of Harjuwaltus in eastern Kotimi. He was third of the seven sons of Jouko Lempoinen, one of the local fishermen. Unlike his brothers Pekko had little patience for life as a fisherman. Already as a boy he was curious about his surroundings and was always pestering his parents about this and that. When Pekko was 10 his father asked Väinö Ahtoinen, local priest of Ahto, if he would take the boy and teach him. Väinö took Pekko to live with him and let him help him in services. Pekko soon realised that this was what he wanted to do. During the next seven years he learnt to read and write and other basic skills needed for a small village priest.
Then everything changed. One day Szulolian raiders surprised the village. Pekko was one of those who did not manage to escape. Pekko and some other captured villagers were then taken back to Szulolia. There he was bought by one Novaruam trader who saw a value in this northerner who could read and write. Pekko spent eight month with the trader in Parma before he managed to escape. He was not treated badly or anything but was still a slave and took the first opportunity and fled to south since he had heard that in Bluffside he might be able to get a boat back to home.

Pekko is a serious young man long way from home. He is observative and curious of his surroundings and new cultures but otherwise reserved and quiet. What fascinates him the most is sea; his home village was on a lakeside so he had never seen sea before coming to south.
Last edited by hihama on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:29 am, edited 8 times in total.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

I edited it a bit for formatting...

For two-handed weapons, you add 1-1/2 times of your strength bonus to damage.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 »

Knightfall wrote:David, is your character complete?
Sorry. I have been sick so I haven't had a chance to work on her. Can you give me until Monday to finalize her?
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

dfryer36 wrote:
Knightfall wrote:David, is your character complete?
Sorry. I have been sick so I haven't had a chance to work on her. Can you give me until Monday to finalize her?
Sure.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Knightfall wrote:I edited it a bit for formatting...

Btw, trident, which would be Pekko's weapon of choice, is in parentheses since he does not have one but plan to buy if he ever have extra money.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

hihama wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I edited it a bit for formatting...

Btw, trident, which would be Pekko's weapon of choice, is in parentheses since he does not have one but plan to buy if he ever have extra money.
That's what I thought, however...

I'd say you can have a trident to start. It would be a weapon loaned to you by the local temple in Bluffside. You'd have to pay for it eventually or return it if you found a better version (i.e. masterwork or magical). It's beat up a bit, but still a solid weapon. The local temple in Bluffside isn't substantial (one building w/two floors (drafty); one male cleric (Lvl3; middle-aged [local]), 1d6-1 acolytes (Lvl1); 1d20 + 1d4-1 followers), so it would be frowned upon if you lost it or it was destroyed. You'd have to replace it, as well as buy your own.

The temple is located in Sordadon, which is a floating canal city that sits near the edge of the bluff near Bluffside. It is considered a part of Bluffside, although it has its own 'spirit'. The leader of the temple, Canvasback Jake, is a retired sailor who spent most of his life sailing back and forth from the north. He doesn't talk about how he became a follower of Ahto, but he is true in his devotion. He'd like his faith to be more popular in Bluffside and hopes to move the temple "up the bluff" at some point.

He sees your arrival in Bluffside as a sign that Ahto wishes this also. It is why he has loaned you his trident.

Roll Results
3 acolytes: 2 female (both very young [locals]), 1 male (older: mid-thirties [originally from your homeland *])
20 followers: 17 male, 3 female -> mainly local sailors; 3 are non-human

* Feel free to give this NPC a name. I'll come up with his background however.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama »

Knightfall wrote: I'd say you can have a trident to start. It would be a weapon loaned to you by the local temple in Bluffside. You'd have to pay for it eventually or return it if you found a better version (i.e. masterwork or magical). It's beat up a bit, but still a solid weapon. The local temple in Bluffside isn't substantial (one building w/two floors (drafty); one male cleric (Lvl3; middle-aged [local]), 1d6-1 acolytes (Lvl1); 1d20 + 1d4-1 followers), so it would be frowned upon if you lost it or it was destroyed. You'd have to replace it, as well as buy your own.

Roll Results
3 acolytes: 2 female (both very young [locals]), 1 male (older: mid-thirties [originally from your homeland *])
20 followers: 17 male, 3 female -> mainly local sailors; 3 are non-human

* Feel free to give this NPC a name. I'll come up with his background however.
Thank you. So Pekko have a trident :D He'll promise to keep good care of it. He will also spend quite a lot of time in temple.

Male acolytes name will be Osma Rautiainen. (I was checking wikipedia for ancient Finnish names and that combination tickled my imagination.)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon »

Just rolled up my attributes, my dice rolls are:

6 / 6 / 6 / 2 = 18
6 / 3 / 6 / 1 = 15
1 / 1 / 3 / 2 = 6
1 / 2 / 5 / 2 = 9
3 / 3 / 4 / 1 = 10
3 / 6 / 4 / 4 = 14
6 / 6 / 1 / 1 = 13
1 / 6 / 6 / 6 = 18
2 / 4 / 2 / 5 = 11

Hmm; started off strong, a couple of weak rolls, averaged out, hit the jackpot and another average score.
So: 18, 18, 15, 14, 13, 11

By the way, would it be possible to play a wood elf? I think it fits the concept I am going for pretty well. Sorry for being wishy-washy on the race so far, but I swear that I won't consider changing it again.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

Dice roller

Gralf
male gnome fighter 4
Small, Age 69, Height 3'4", Weight 45 lbs
Neutral Good
XP: 6040

Attributes
STR 17 (+3) [18 Base, -2 Racial, +1 @4th]
DEX 16 (+3) [16 Base]
CON 19 (+4) [17 Base, +2 Racial]
INT 15 (+2) [15 Base]
WIS 14 (+2) [14 Base]
CHA 15 (+2) [15 Base]

Hit Points: 37 [10 (1st) + 2 (2nd) + 2 (3rd) + 4 (4th) + 3 (Toughness) + 4 * 4 Con] Current 22 Non lethal: 3
AC: 17 [10 default, 4 scale, 3 dex]
Initiative: +3 [3 dex]
Base Attack Bonus: +4 [4 fighter]
Speed: 15ft

Saves:
Fort +8 [+4 Fighter, +4 Con]
Refl +4 [+1 Fighter, +3 Dex]
Will +3 [+1 Fighter, +2 Wis]

Attacks:
Great Axe +8 melee, 1d10+6 dmg, x3 crit [+4 BAB, +3 Str, +1 feat]
Warhammer +7 melee, 1d6+3 dmg, x3 crit [+4 BAB, +3 Str]
Dagger +7 melee, 1d4+3 dmg, 19-20/x2 crit [+4 BAB, +3 Str]
Javelin +7 ranged, 1d3+3 dmg, x2 crit, 30ft range increment [+4 BAB, +3 Dex]

Feats:
Endurance [Bonus 1st]
Diehard [1st]
Weapon Focus (Great Axe) [Fighter 1]
Power Attack [Fighter 2]
Toughness [3rd]
Weapon Specialization (Great Axe) [Fighter 4]

Languages: Gnome, Cliff Speak, Dwarven, Sixam
Skills: (20 points fighter)
+9 Intimidate (2 cha, 7 fighter)
+5.5 Knowledge (History) (2 int, 7 fighter(CC))
+5 Survival (2 wis, 6 fighter(CC))
+4 Craft (Armorsmithing) (2 int, 2 fighter)
+3 Jump (3 str, 4 fighter, -4 ACP)
+5 Listen (2 wis, 2 gnome, 2 fighter(CC))

Equipment:
Greataxe (6 lbs) [20gp]
Scale mail (15 lbs) [50gp]
Visored Helm
Warhammer (2.5 lbs) [12gp]
Dagger (.5 lbs) [2gp]
2 Javelins (2 lbs) [2gp]
Backpack (.5 lbs) [2gp]
2 Waterskin (2 lbs) [2gp]
Whetstone (1 lbs) [2cp]
14 days Trail Rations (3.5 lbs) [7gp]
Flint and steel (- lbs) [1gp]
4 Belt Pouches (.5 lbs) [4gp]
2 Torches (2 lbs) [2cp]
Grappling Hook (4 lbs) [1gp]
Silk Rope (50ft) (5 lbs) [10gp]
Traveller's outfit (0.5 lbs)
Healing potion (2d8+6)
45 lbs
223gp
14sp
12cp

Gralfinicon Dashtorquezip was born into slavery in Talangrán. He never knew his father and was put to work as soon as he was able. Most of the time it felt like he was insignificant. Eventually he was assigned to work under Assan Gravelfist, the dwarven blacksmith. Assan routinely defied his handlers and was punished. Only his skill as a blacksmith kept him alive. Unlike anyone else Assan always used Gralfinicon's full name when talking to the boy. The old dwarf taught the young gnome more than simply working metal. He explained the possibilties beyond the walls of the city.

Assan convinced the young gnome to try and escape with him. Some bad luck ruined their plan. The trouble caused by Assan finally outweighed his usefulness. Gralfinicon tried escaping on his own but it was a hasty attempt doomed from the start. Years passed before he tried again. This time with a carefully recruited group. He doesn't know how the masters found out but his allies were dispersed throughout the city just days before they were to attempt escape.

Gralf stopped using his full name and drank more. He seemed to associate with few but in truth he watched and planned. His crew was litterally recruited the day before the break. They knew very little of the plan. Were it not for a random patrol outside the city, they would have made it. Instead a pitched battle left everyone dead save Gralf. One attacker wore a visored helm with a skull painted on it. Such a thing would likely hinder interactions with others but Gralf took it. As he saw it, death walks with him. He slowly made his way southward.
Last edited by dulsi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 14 times in total.
ImageImage

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:By the way, would it be possible to play a wood elf? I think it fits the concept I am going for pretty well. Sorry for being wishy-washy on the race so far, but I swear that I won't consider changing it again.
First, you're planning on playing a wood elf paladin? Or did you go with a different class? If so, it's a bit of odd choice for a wood elf PC.

Second, the wood elf that I planned to use for Kanpur is the version from the Twin Crowns campaign setting book. However, after looking at it more closely, the race uses the same stats as in the PHB except for for some language tweaks, which would have to be changed for Kulan, anyway. So, I'm not sure.

I'm going to assume you want to use the MM version, right?
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon »

Knightfall wrote:I'm going to assume you want to use the MM version, right?
Indeed.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

dulsi wrote:I have started working on my character. Really need to come up with a name. I'm assuming it is ok to use an online dice roller. (I did code the dice roller so if you are afraid of me manipulating the results I could use another or roll real dice.)
I'm not going to be a real stickler about dice rolling. If there is something I want to be 100% sure on, I'll roll and pass along the results to you (if appropriate). I look at it like this: we are honorable gamers who want to have fun.
dulsi wrote:For weapon, I was thinking of going with greataxe. I can get chainmail but doesn't give me any better AC than scale due to restricting dex. Technically neither seems to have the visored helm I was planning on having. I assume it isn't a problem to say he has one anyway.
The helm is fine. After all, hihama's PC has use of a free trident.
dulsi wrote:What languages do I start with and would be appropriate for Talangrán?
Automatic Langauges: Gnome and one Regional Language of your choice.

Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc, and Sixam.

Regional Languages for the Northwest: Almad, Cliff Speak, Coeurdîs, Novarese, and Tal. (There will be more options but I don't have language names for each country or city-state, yet.)

Almad = Basque-like language
Coeurdîs = French-like language
Novarese = Italian-like language
Tal* = Spanish-like language

* Tal is a special case. It is almost exclusively spoken by the aristocrats of Talangrán; it is not taught to non-humans or the lowborn; if those not of the right bloodline are heard speaking it, it means a death sentence for the speaker and the person who taught it to them.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I'm going to assume you want to use the MM version, right?
Indeed.
I say go for it.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

dfryer36
White Dragon

Post by dfryer36 »

Hey boss, in the process of finalizing my character I was wondering, can I use the Urban Ranger variant from Unearthed Arcana?
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

Still need to put in information like stats for weapons but Gralf is mostly complete.
ImageImage

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall »

dfryer36 wrote:Hey boss, in the process of finalizing my character I was wondering, can I use the Urban Ranger variant from Unearthed Arcana?
Absolutely.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “World of Kulan”