[Traveller] Terran Trade Authority

"This is Free Trader Beowulf...Mayday..." "Hang in there, Beowulf. Help is on the way..."
The Book-House: Find Traveller products.
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

[Traveller] Terran Trade Authority

Post by BPIJonathan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:46 pm

Anyone familiar with the TTA?

BPI now holds the official license to do the RPG, and just seeing what kind of discussion we can get about it on here. :-)
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: [Traveller] Terran Trade Authority

Post by night_druid » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:11 pm

Are those the large picture books detailing a war between Alpha & Proxima Centauri during the 21st century? Those were some awesome pictures; last I looked, the books went for insanely high prices (like, couple of hundred). I remember reading 'em back in jr. high.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:43 pm

So what can you tell us about the upcoming RPG? When will it take place? The Centauri/Proxima War (limited to basically two solar systems)? Or the era that followed, when humanity explored a bit further, finding all sorts of alien wrecks? Do we finally get to see what the alien races look like?

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:11 pm

I'm familiar with Traveller. I used to own the little black books (from Steve Jackson Games, IIRC) and I've browsed through Traveller 2000, but I've never had enough people interested to play it. I don't know about TTA, though. Could you give us a rundown? --Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:19 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran_Trade_Authority

Basically, it was a series of four books (I've read two or three...its been damned near 20 years :( ) that took a LOT of the beautiful sci-fi ship artwork and linked them together with a common history. The story begins in the mid-21st century; a means of FTL travel is discovered, and humans travel to the alpha-centauri system. There, they discover two races: those that live on a planet that orbits alpha centauri, who are relatively peaceful, and those that live on a planet that orbits proxima, who are war-like. Both races are somewhat close to Earth in technology. The proxima attack the alpha-centauri, starting a world-war like war that lasted about a decade (IIRC). Eventually they're defeated, but not before they got FTL travel and attacked the solar system, getting as far as Mars before being beaten back. The last two books detailed a vague time period following the war, as humans spread out and discovered a bunch of new alien races & lost ships. I recall one ship being huge (several miles) but was thought to be just one part of a much bigger ship (sorta like a bolt!), and I think there was an angel-like race that lived on a gas giant, but they were evil incarnate.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:07 am

night_druid wrote:So what can you tell us about the upcoming RPG? When will it take place? The Centauri/Proxima War (limited to basically two solar systems)? Or the era that followed, when humanity explored a bit further, finding all sorts of alien wrecks? Do we finally get to see what the alien races look like?
The RPG is being written by myself, Jeff Lilly and Stewart Cowley. I am not sure what exactly we are going to cover yet, as we are still trying to decide how much material is being placed into the book.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:20 pm

BPIJonathan wrote:
night_druid wrote:So what can you tell us about the upcoming RPG? When will it take place? The Centauri/Proxima War (limited to basically two solar systems)? Or the era that followed, when humanity explored a bit further, finding all sorts of alien wrecks? Do we finally get to see what the alien races look like?
The RPG is being written by myself, Jeff Lilly and Stewart Cowley. I am not sure what exactly we are going to cover yet, as we are still trying to decide how much material is being placed into the book.
Is this RPG intended to "pick up the torch" from The Terran Trade Authority Roleplaying Game published in 2006?

I noticed that Stewart Cowley and Jeff Lilly were both involved in that, so I'd guess that they have a good understanding of how the universe should work.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:22 am

Big Mac wrote:Is this RPG intended to "pick up the torch" from The Terran Trade Authority Roleplaying Game published in 2006?
Its designed as a replacement of that game, yes. Stewart is no longer giving his support for that game. The system belongs to Morrigan Press so I am redesigning the RPG based around the Mongoose Traveller RPG.

Thanks.
Last edited by BPIJonathan on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan M. Thompson

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:20 am

BTB, there are questions being asked (nice ones) about the MGT version of TTA here:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discus ... hp?t=17442.

I have posted a link to here on that site, but the link might get moderated out, since the owner of CotI seems to think any mention of the existence of other discussion boards constitutes an "attempt to entice members to leave CotI"... which is against the rules. :roll:

Oh, well... I've tried to link up fans & developer, anyway.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:45 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:BTB, there are questions being asked (nice ones) about the MGT version of TTA here:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discus ... hp?t=17442.

I have posted a link to here on that site, but the link might get moderated out, since the owner of CotI seems to think any mention of the existence of other discussion boards constitutes an "attempt to entice members to leave CotI"... which is against the rules. :roll:

Oh, well... I've tried to link up fans & developer, anyway.
Seems that they allowed your post to remain. Thanks for sending me that way, I posted (now my post count is 1 over there LOL).
Jonathan M. Thompson

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:40 pm

Welcome to the Piazza Jonathan! (Bobjester here from various other forums & Yahooligan groups...)

I won't pretend that I know a lot about Traveller after MegaTraveller in the 80's, so this Terran Trade Authority has me baffled. Is this Traveller (i.e. LBB, Mega Traveller, GURPS Traveller, Mongoose, T4, T5, TNE), or the Twilight 2000, Traveller 2300, 2300AD, 2320AD line of products or something I've never heard of before?

EDIT: I just checked out the Wiki entry, and I see what it is now! Neither! :mrgreen:
I've never heard of these books before, although it seems very reminiscent of Mechanismo, written by Harry Harrison... :geek:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:35 am

BPIJonathan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is this RPG intended to "pick up the torch" from The Terran Trade Authority Roleplaying Game published in 2006?
Its designed as a replacement of that game, yes. Stewart is no longer giving his support for that game. The system belongs to Morrigan Press so I am redesigning the RPG based around the Mongoose Traveller RPG.
That is a good call. Standardaisation is going to help everyone to fit Terrant Trade Authority in with the rest of the universe.

I hope that a lot of fans of Traveller also use the Traveller Developers Pack to make their own standardised content. (The download link is in the Free Downloads section of Mongoose Publishing's main Traveller page.) The Traveller Developers Pack is sort of like a SRD for Traveller. I love shared systems (like WotC's original D&D-compatible SRD) because they cut down the time a gaming group needs to spend learning rules and help GMs to mix and match game material from different sources.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:41 am

I think its good too. I like the idea of being able to add aliens from one source to another (creatures, races, etc.). I am doing a couple of race/alien books for Traveller as well, so people can just drop them into any universe they choose.
Jonathan M. Thompson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:25 am

BPIJonathan wrote:I think its good too. I like the idea of being able to add aliens from one source to another (creatures, races, etc.).
A couple of the people in my RPG club (the Virutal Eclipse club) are really into Traveller. If our universe (the Virtual Eclipse universe) was being actively used for tabletop games, I might be tempted to use that developers pack myself, so that I could import material from Mongoose, yourself and any other publishers (or fans) who got onboard. (We had a test game with d20 Future rules, but that system didn't feel too right.)

Anyhoo, I look forward to seeing more information about your forthcoming material. Will there be some sort of preview download on your website at some point?
BPIJonathan wrote:I am doing a couple of race/alien books for Traveller as well, so people can just drop them into any universe they choose.
Don't forget to add your information to the Current Publishers section of the Traveller RPG: Community Portal when you have a Traveller page set up on your website. Traveller fans are going to want to see the link on their wiki.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:38 am

Big Mac wrote:Will there be some sort of preview download on your website at some point?
Being that everyone on the staff has many hats, we are trying to get this all done as quickly as possible. So yes, at some point there will be information on the website.
Jonathan M. Thompson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:36 am

BPIJonathan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Will there be some sort of preview download on your website at some point?
Being that everyone on the staff has many hats, we are trying to get this all done as quickly as possible. So yes, at some point there will be information on the website.
Great! I'll look forward to seeing that. I realise that these things take time, and I know from elsewhere on The Piazza that your company is also working on other product lines. Please give us the heads-up when you have some news on this. :D

Omega Op
Goblin

Post by Omega Op » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:13 pm

So when will this RPG come out?

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Omega Op wrote:So when will this RPG come out?
Ideally we have it planned for this summer.
Jonathan M. Thompson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:00 pm

BTW: Is there likely to be any sort of preview for this?

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Big Mac wrote:BTW: Is there likely to be any sort of preview for this?
Anything is possible. Right now we are working on putting the book together, everything will come. :D
Jonathan M. Thompson

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:48 pm

I've got all the TTA stuff that Morrigan Press put out, which was a really good compilation and overview of the setting. Wonderful stuff, close to hard sci-fi, but still graspable by a layman.

I know there was a lot of hullaballo over the way Morrigan handled TTA and the writers/artists working on it. Hopefully, you guys will get something high quality out.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:50 pm

I promise we are trying
Jonathan M. Thompson

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:21 pm

BPIJonathan wrote:I promise we are trying
I know there was a TTA Yahoo!Groups list, but I think it's fairly well dead these days. Too, there were a great bunch of guys doing computer modelling/design for the ships.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:34 am

@Jonathan: Just in case you haven't been following our new Talislanta forum, writermonk is actually Douglass Bramlett, one of the Tal authors, and the guy who has been rescuing abandoned Tal manuscripts (where the publisher didn't pay the author) and getting them onto Talislanta.com as part of the Lost Books project.

@writermonk: You seemed to know a lot about TTA, when you mentioned it in the Tal forum. Do you have an idea if there is any unpublished stuff floating around in limbo (like that stuff you are currently rescuing for Talislanta)?

BTW: If you do find that TTA Yahoo group, would you please post it into the [Traveller] Other Traveller Websites (& Free Downloads) and I'll update the first post. (I must get around to making a thread like that for Talislanta. :oops: )

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:05 am

We have the exclusive rights to the rpg, so if they are found have them contact me directly. I hope to have the game ready for playtest come the end of the year.
Jonathan M. Thompson

Return to “Traveller”