[Conan] Who has the Conan RPG Licence?

"Crom, count the dead." Discuss the Conan campaign setting (based on the Hyborian Age Conan the Barbarian, created by Robert E. Howard) as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
The Book-House: Find Conan products.

[Conan] Who has the Conan RPG Licence?

Postby Havard » Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm

I thought the lisence to make Conan RPG material was still being hend by Mongoose, but then I learned from this thread at RPG.net that the licence had expired back in 2010.

Does that mean noone holds the licence now?

If that is true, where would you like to see it end up?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Conan] Who has the Conan RPG Licence?

Postby Hugin » Wed May 15, 2013 2:55 pm

That's a good question but I don't have a good answer.

Do you have any experience playing a Conan RPG? For me, a Conan RPG would be my next choice of campaign after one set in Mystara. I have about 2/3rds of all the Conan published material (novels, colour comics, black & white magazines,etc.) but have never played an RPG set in the Hyborian Age.
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby Giant Space Hamster » Thu May 16, 2013 12:25 am

Havard wrote: I learned from this thread at RPG.net that the licence had expired back in 2010.

Does that mean noone holds the licence now?

If that is true, where would you like to see it end up?

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): 2010 was three years back. This is not so much industry news, as a question about who owns the rights to the Conan Campaign Setting. Moving to Other Worlds (until we are ready to have a Conan forum) as people won't be looking for this in The Wishing Well.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.
Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Re: [Conan] Who has the Conan RPG Lisence?

Postby Havard » Thu May 16, 2013 3:12 pm

Hugin wrote:Do you have any experience playing a Conan RPG? For me, a Conan RPG would be my next choice of campaign after one set in Mystara. I have about 2/3rds of all the Conan published material (novels, colour comics, black & white magazines,etc.) but have never played an RPG set in the Hyborian Age.

Wow, that is an impressive collection! I have the Conan D20 RPG (Mongoose), but I have never had a chance to play it. It seemed like an interesting variaton of the D20 system, although I think I would prefer D&D 3.5 with perhaps some additional feats to benefit low armored characters.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby rabindranath72 » Sun May 19, 2013 10:28 am

The licence reverted back to Paradox Entertainment, which retains the copyright to anything pertaining Conan. It's a European company based in Finland. On the www.conan.com, one of people who worked on some d20 Conan supplements (Eric Rodriguez) mentioned having a chat with Fredrik Malmberg of Paradox, and the latter mentioned that something is moving in the RPG field, so probably they are trying to find another company to create an RPG. It's too good of a licence to make it sit there.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:The licence reverted back to Paradox Entertainment, which retains the copyright to anything pertaining Conan. It's a European company based in Finland. On the http://www.conan.com, one of people who worked on some d20 Conan supplements (Eric Rodriguez) mentioned having a chat with Fredrik Malmberg of Paradox, and the latter mentioned that something is moving in the RPG field, so probably they are trying to find another company to create an RPG. It's too good of a licence to make it sit there.

Wow, I didn't know that it was owned by a Finland-based company, thanks!

I don't know how well Age of Conan is doing, but I always liked the videos and imagery from that game. It seems like it might be beneficial to bring in some stuff from that game into a Pen & Paper RPG.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:38 am

Sorry, it's Swedish not Finnish. :oops:
The imagery of Age of Conan is interesting, but there is not much resemblance with actual Howardian canon. One thing for all: too much magic.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby ExTSR » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Try...

http://www.swordsmen-and-sorcerers.com/

Aids of note:

http://www.swordsmen-and-sorcerers.com/resources

Hyperborea without the license. ;>
If you wanna go full-out ERB, get it.

F
ExTSR
Troll

Postby Boneguard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:39 am

ExTSR wrote:Try...

Aids of note:

F

Indeed. Good little retro-clone with the old Pulp Fiction, Sword $ Sorcery feel of the 1020s-1030s. It is heavy influence by H.P. Lovecraft, R.E. Howard (Conan, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn and Kull) and C.A. Smith (Hyperborea, Averoigne and Zothique).
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:58 am

ExTSR wrote:Try...

Aids of note:

F

Yeah but that's Talanian's Hyperborea, not the Hyborian Age (nor Smith's Hyperborea.)
And in turn, Howard's Hyperborea in the Hyborian Age is distinctly different from Smith's Hyperborea. Although I suppose the game itself could be used for an Hyborian Age game with some changes.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Boneguard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:57 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Yeah but that's Talanian's Hyperborea, not the Hyborian Age (nor Smith's Hyperborea.)
And in turn, Howard's Hyperborea in the Hyborian Age is distinctly different from Smith's Hyperborea. Although I suppose the game itself could be used for an Hyborian Age game with some changes.

I admit that all 3 Hyperborea are different, you could easily take the game system of AS&SH -whose express goal is to reproduce the 1920s-1930s Sword&Sorcery, Pulp Fiction, Weird Science of R.E. Howard, C.A.Smith, etc.- to create a game in the Hyboria .

Interestingly enough both Conan's and the Red Sonya AD&D adventure could be combined to this RPG fairly easily.

Or if you can get your grubby little paw on the old TSR Conan RPG, that was a fun system too.

Link to all the conan RPG product.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:52 pm

I am a huge fan of all things Howard, and I own all gaming material produced for this setting; so I have given some thought about adapting the AS&SH game to the Hyborian Age, and it can definitely be done, though many of the classes would simply not be appropriate as still more representative of D&D than the Hyborian Age itself.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby thorr-kan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:55 pm

The GURPS Conan accessories from Steve Jackson Games are available in .pdf versions from e23.sjgames.com. SJGames got a limited license to reprint them electronically, so they may disappear.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:07 pm

GURPS Conan is strongly based on the pastiches of Carter et al., as such it's a hodgepodge of stuff; like having Satyrs as a PC race... :roll:
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Boneguard » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:51 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:GURPS Conan is strongly based on the pastiches of Carter et al., as such it's a hodgepodge of stuff; like having Satyrs as a PC race... :roll:

I agree it's stongly influence by pastiche, but it's still a fun game...can't recal the Satyr as PC bit though.

Boneguard
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:21 am

I guess we now have an answer for that question: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13137

I am excited to see what Modiphius Entertainment will do with their RPG coming out in August this year! :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:54 am

Havard wrote:I guess we now have an answer for that question: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13137

I am excited to see what Modiphius Entertainment will do with their RPG coming out in August this year! :cool:

-Havard

Me too. The Mongoose D20 version of Conan for some reason didn't really pull me in to the world of Conan. And if Modiphius can get Vincent Darlage to work on their Conan game, that would be freaking awesome!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 pm

The Angelic Dragon wrote:Me too. The Mongoose D20 version of Conan for some reason didn't really pull me in to the world of Conan. And if Modiphius can get Vincent Darlage to work on their Conan game, that would be freaking awesome!

Who is Vincent Darlage?

Also, what else do you know about this new lisence holder? Anything we could use to speculate on what the new game will be like?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:17 pm

Havard wrote:Who is Vincent Darlage?
He was one of the producers of the Mongoose 2E version of the d20 Conan game. I only know him by his name, not specifically by the quality of his work, however he has gotten a lot of praise for the quality of his work by those that supported the D20 Conan game (Return to the Road of Kings being an example of Vinces' work)..

Havard wrote:Also, what else do you know about this new license holder? Anything we could use to speculate on what the new game will be like?

-Havard
Personally, I don't know anything about the company. They have stated on Facebook that it will use their in-house 2D20 system. I just looked up their website and pulled up their product list, Modiphius produced the Mindjammer game, which is on my list of books to get, if that uses their 2D20 system than I should be able to provide some more information about it soon.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Modiphius produced the 2014 version of Mindjammer, which should not be confused with the 2009 Cubicle 7 release of the same name.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby shesheyan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:28 pm

Modiphius 2d20 system is getting a lot of licences these days. They announced in November the INFINITY (sci-fi miniature game) RPG licence with Corvus Belli. I hope the end product reflects some of the mechanics and atmosphere of the miniature game. Simply slapping the 2d20 system without any kind of customizing would be a fatal error. Same goes with Conan. One would want the 2d20 system to embrace the setting.

« Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition is the first game to use 2d20 and Modiphius plans to announce two major licensed roleplaying lines this Autumn which will both use customised versions of 2d20 for launch in 2015.

2d20 is a very cinematic action orientated system developed by lead designer Jay Little as part of the Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition design team. The game is built around a core mechanic of rolling under an Attribute plus Skill total on two twenty sided dice. Multiple successes are possible and can be used to create the cinematic action. More details on the system and how it is being customised for different genres will be discussed on this page. »

Atchung! Chtuluh is their latest title. I think it was a KS.
[edit] Yep it was a KS : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mo ... estigators
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby shesheyan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:06 pm

I have the Alpha basic rules for the INFINITY 2d20 rpg. I can't distribute it. but I can tell you this :

Its a 8 ability system + Skills. Dexterity and Agility are separate abilities - (something I like).
Attribute range from 6 to 12.

Its a roll under system. Attribute + Skill. So if you have 7 agility + 3 skill you must roll equal or under 10 to succeed. Penalties lower the target number.
You roll 2d20s for success. You only need one success on either d20s. BUT some actions may require 2 or more success.

The current version has hit locations (arms, torso,etc). Mental Wounds, Serous Wounds and Critical Wounds.

Combat is well defined.

Damage is (Fixed damage 1,2,3, etc) +(Xd6 rolls). On the d6 a roll of 1 or 2 is damage, 3, 4, 5 are ignored and 6 has special effect depending on the skill or equipment.

Didn't see any reference to something resembling Feats.

There is an economy of ressources points :
For players : Actions points (on die rolls or influence events) and Combat Momentum (the more you succeed during combat the better you get)
For GM : Heat Points or Hindrances (Some actions are not free. Character pays Heats to the GM when he uses them).

Its early to give an evaluation but I would say its a rather crunchy game in the sense that it has a lot of combat game mechanics to learn and active game mechanics to keep track of during play.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:55 pm

The Infinity System does look interesting. OTOH, is really Mophidus a big enough company to take care of the Conan lisence. I do recognize some of their titles, but none of their current lines have pulled me in yet. Should I give them a chance?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby shesheyan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Their bio says its a recent company funded in 2012. They seems to be mostly doing KS for now.
I can only tell you that they are very responsive to the comments of Infinity players on their Beta forum for the rpg.
Judging by the seriousness, depth and quality of their posts, over several weeks, I would say they are serious.
The second beta package will be desired any day now.
Corvus Belli owners met them personally several times before signing the deal and said they were impressed.

They did publish Atchung Chtuluh and companion books + MindJammer (a hard SF setting for FATE)

Link to Mutant 2d20
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... mutant+chr

I will trust them by pre-ordering the Infinity RPG when time comes in 2 months.
shesheyan
Frost Giant

Postby Big Mac » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Havard wrote:Anything we could use to speculate on what the new game will be like?

There are a couple of topics in the Robert E. Howards CONAN roleplaying game forum at the Modiphius forums:

Both topics are four days old, so it looks like their Conan forum has only just been created. It also looks like the Modiphius may just be allowing fans to speak, rather than interacting with them at the moment.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Next

Return to Conan