The Shipping News

Classic fantasy, swashbuckling pirates, and Lovecraftian horror. Welcome to the City of Adventure! Hamunaptra, Naranjan and other World of Freeport subsettings can be discussed here.
Nate Christen
Troll

The Shipping News

Post by Nate Christen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Fellow Freeporters,

In my most recent campaign update, I mentioned that a copy of The Shipping News helped the PCs track down some escaped criminals. One thing I've considered in the past is printing up a copy as a prop for an adventure. That begs the question of what all an issue might contain. I know of:

-Headline news stories
-Arrival and departure schedules for ships
-Times for sunset and tides
-A serial, "The Continuing Adventures of Commander Cody"
-Editorial column, "One Freeporter's Opinion"
-The society page, "Freeport After Dark"

That's probably enough to fill a page, but can anyone else think of features to include in it?

Thanks for the input.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

Argentmantle
Troll

Re: The Shipping News

Post by Argentmantle » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:26 pm

SPORTS! Everybody needs to know the score of the last football game. A puzzle of some sort would be appropriate... and remember they could be selected for a 'Major Prize'. A leg shaped torch sconce... with a continual light spell. :-)

Nate Christen
Troll

Post by Nate Christen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Argentmantle,

That's a good idea. I can imagine a listing of competitors fighting in the One Ring that night, along with the odds that the oddsmakers are giving them.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:42 pm

A listing of overdue ships.
Advertisements, both commercial and personal. And the more cryptic the personal ads are, the better.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:38 am

I've never provided a complete issue as a prop, but I have provided some adventure leads and background color to my players through brief articles or summaries, including:
  • News of more racial violence following Swagfest.
  • Plans for the Freeport Opera House's much-delayed 100th anniversary celebration. (Two of my current players were in both my previous Freeport campaigns, the first of which used the Trilogy. In tribute, I had the the Opera House produce a play for Drac's Fall dramatizing those events, as part of the build-up to the anniversary proper.)
  • Announcement of the Great Hunt.
  • A notice that the Sea Lord would appease the giant sea turtle under the harbor at the summer solstice.
  • A letter to the editor bemoaning the mysterious disappearance of the merfolk from local waters in recent years. (The germ of the last few sessions' adventures.)
And looking over my notes, one more regular feature mentioned in the books is "Tales of the Phoenix," a series of heartwarming stories about ordinary Freeporters (started after the 'News was burned down during the Succession Riots but then rebuilt through generous donations from all over the city).
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Is this an in-character newspaper?

Were you thinking of turning it into a fanzine or was this just a one-off for your own game?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:38 pm

Cool idea!

-Classified ads looking for workers

-For Sale items

-Lost and found stuff

-Editorials

Return to “Freeport”