[WotC] Oriental Adventures and Rokugan FAQ

A land of breathtaking beauty, where eight clans of powerful samurai warriors struggle against one another in constant war for supremacy. Discuss the Legend of the Five Rings campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] Oriental Adeventures and Rokugan FAQ

Post by Princess Strega »

mhacdebhandia wrote:
zombiegleemax wrote:Anyways... is the a jitte in the equipment section?
Yes.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:hi people im a bit of a noob at this but cud sumone answer this 1 question plz

Q.when determining how many skill points you have to spend when creating a new character what is the class modifier for the samurai class??
thanks =-)

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ephealy wrote:
bait_the_bard wrote:Q: I think there should be a Ninja core class. Why isn’t there?
A: On his website, James Wyatt answers that question [link currently unavaliable]. Basically they wanted any character to be able to be a ninja, so made it a Prestige Class. In Rokugan there is a Ninja core class, and heretic8888 has created a very good Ninja core class, the The Shinobi No Mono.
Here's the link: https://web.archive.org/web/20090327205 ... ninja.html

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ephealy wrote:
azzy wrote:Can we add a bit to the FAQ listing Dragon and Dungeon issues with OA material?

To my knowlege, there's been:
I agree. This might be a good idea. I haven't looked at all the articles (recently) that Azzy listed, but it'd be good to have them in the FAQ.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ephealy wrote:I had started a thread (right here) asking whether I had a complete list of the d20 Rokugan books. If the list is complete, could you include that in the FAQ as well?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

kangsthegreen wrote:I want to answer the question about why there aren't ant Geisha classes.(as I am a researcher that dive into Japanese history and one of the oldest Rokugan D20 player/DM)
It is probably because geishas are Eta(hinin, non-people), they are entertainers that has the special treatment but that is all. In Rokugan campaign you are playing a samurai(not class) caste character(if you want it other way it is posible but you are ignored or harresed by samurais). The playable version of geisha is generally assasins and spies that pretending to be geisha and they are generally multi class ninja/courier or rouge/courier.(even though it is a core class in Rokugan bards are justified as hinin and they are generally harresed by other people except other hinins)

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

roxlimn wrote:The question of 3.5e updates tends to get asked regularly, so I think it should be included in the FAQ.

Q: Has the material in the original Oriental Adventures been updated to 3.5e D&D?

A: Yes. Official updates from James Wyatt was published in the 318 issue of Dragon Magazine. Back issues may be available upon request from paizo.com.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ravinray wrote:I just got a copy of OA, and I'm hoping you can add to the FAQ which 3.5 books have the updated base classes and PrCs, ie. Complete Arcane for the wu jen, Complete Divine for the shugenja and void disciple, etc. Curious, how significant are the updates?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

heretic888 wrote:
ravinray wrote:I just got a copy of OA, and I'm hoping you can add to the FAQ which 3.5 books have the updated base classes and PrCs, ie. Complete Arcane for the wu jen, Complete Divine for the shugenja and void disciple, etc. Curious, how significant are the updates?
They have no bearing whatsoever on Oriental Adventures.

Laterz.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:Question:
I have Dragon #318; don't have Complete Adventurer.
Is the ninja class in 318 identical to the ninja class in CA?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ranger_reg wrote:
zombiegleemax wrote:Question:
I have Dragon #318; don't have Complete Adventurer.
Is the ninja class in 318 identical to the ninja class in CA?
More or less, yes. It got Jesse Decker's prints on both of them.

But the ninja class in #318 is not an update to OA. It's a separate article, along with the pirates and dinosaur in that issue.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:Domo arigato, Ranger-san.
I also like the Shinobi-no-bushi class.
I like it when you go looking for the answer to a question, and you find a better answer
than the question you originally asked (i. e. the shinobi-no-bushi).

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:I analyzed both the fighter class and the samurai, and I don't understand why the samurai loses so 4 extra feats in exchange for an extra 2 skill points per level, a better will save base and better starting eq. (which doesn't matter any more near the mid levels). Also, he has a lot more restrictions than the fighter does too.

Can someone explain this to me, since I would have expected the Samurai, whose life devotion is to war, should at least be equivalent to a fighter in battle.

Thanks

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ranger_reg wrote:
zombiegleemax wrote:Can someone explain this to me, since I would have expected the Samurai, whose life devotion is to war, should at least be equivalent to a fighter in battle.
A samurai's life is not always devoted to war, only to achieve glory and honor for himself and his family. In peacetime they don't war as much, so they pursue other interests, usually in government positions or improves one cultural refinement in arts, poetry, calligraphy, etc. ... or simply freeloads at their local fire squad-house.

That's not to say a samurai cannot multiclass to a fighter, especially if he's not into arts & craft. He can then improve his combat skills (through weapon specialization and stuff).

All he cares about is bringing great honor to his line of ancestors as well as his descendents. War is just one method. Of course, there was a time when samurai are simply farmers who fight. Then I believe someone like Nobunaga brought samurai out of their farming root and make professional armies out of them.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:Oh, putting it in that way I understand.
Thanks

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:I read a book that had a new template system for creating hengeyokai. It wasn't the oriental adventures main book. it had two sets of rules for everything so you could use d20 or l5r, and you could take taboos in exchange for more abilities. however i cannot find it anywhere now. Some one please help me out.
where can i find it again!

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:ok i found it. the hengeyokai shapechanger template is in fortune and wind.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

katowice wrote:With all the other Wizards books (Complete series, for example) that have updated material from 3.0 to 3.5 (including stuff from Dragon Magazine), it would be nice to see a Oriental Adventures 3.5 book. Alderac has gone back to their own system for Legends of the Five Rings/Rokugan, so the new OA3.5 book could instead of Rokugan material, have some campaign info for Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk and Eberron. It would be a lot easier IMHO if all the various OA updates were in one volume, instead of spread out amongst Dragon and some of the other WOTC books.

Does anybody know if (NDA's notwithstanding) such a book is planned?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ranger_reg wrote:
katowice wrote:Does anybody know if (NDA's notwithstanding) such a book is planned?
Doubt it. The chance of having a 3.5e OA book is about the same as having a 3.5e Deities and Demigods book.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

akumadaimyo wrote:There was a very cool Steampunk Musha book I saw that was non D&D. I think it's Iron Gauntlet but the setting could easily be adapted to D20 in some way.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

imakuni67 wrote:Are there any parts of the OA book that are under the OGL? More specifically, the martial arts styles? Could I make my own styles if it isn't under the OGL?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

azzy wrote:
imakuni67 wrote:Are there any parts of the OA book that are under the OGL?
No.
imakuni67 wrote:More specifically, the martial arts styles?
No.
imakuni67 wrote:Could I make my own styles if it isn't under the OGL?
Sorta. For you home games, and for sharing on these boards, etc., no problem. If you wanted to publish them, on the other hand, you'd have to call it something else (say, "combat style," or something) and describe it a bit differently. Anyone else want to chime in?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Cendragon wrote:I just got the Oriental Adventures book and I'm surprised by how much I like it. Since the characters in my campaign are adventuring in the Forgotten Realms near Kara-Tur, I'm think of using Rokugan as Kara-Tur in my FR campaign. However, I have a question about taint as discussed for Rokugan.

It doesn 't appear that there is any limit on how much taint one can acquire by casting blood spells and thus decreasing one's Wisdom to 0 and effectively immobilizing oneself. Is this talked about anywhere?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

aarondirebear wrote:I still don't see why you had to make such an incompatible world the default oriental setting. What would have been wrong with a generic oriental setting that could be added to an existing dungeons and dragons world, or focusing on Kara Tur?

I mean come on 90% of the stuff in the book isn't even FOUND in Rokugan!

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ORC_Spork wrote:Stickied per VCL Request.

Return to “Rokugan”