[WotC] OA and Forgotten Realm

Oriental Adventures in Kara-Tur, the Eastern Realms.
The Book-House: Find Kara-Tur products.

Moderator: Cthulhudrew

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

[WotC] OA and Forgotten Realm

Post by Princess Strega »

This topic is being archived from the Oriental Adventures forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted on Jul 03, 2009 14:06:51
wulfgart wrote:I dont know much about D&D Forgotten Realms history and geografic etc, so my question is if the Oriental Adventures "world" fits in the Forgotten Realms. Since OA is almost just like japan during the age of the samurai and china when it comes to the monks, so would it look to much of "our world"?
I mean if it would fit in or feel to much out of "Forgotten Realms".

Kinda hard for me to explaine in a good way, since english isnt really my first language, but might take a example like.. It would feel wierd if a samurai warrior was be seen in the LOTRs movies or world, it wouldent fit in.

If anyone understand what Im trying to say, let me know what you think, haha.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] OA and Forgotten Realm

CmdrCorsiken wrote:The Oriental Adventures suppliments, both the AD&D and the 3E versions, contain generic oriental-flavored material that was also loosely tied to a 'default' setting.

In the case of the AD&D OA book, that setting was Kara Tur, which is actually a nation/region somewhere in the Forgotten Realms world. I don't know where, as I know almost nothing about the Realms.

The 3E OA book uses Rokugan, the world of the Legend of the Five Rings, as its default setting. So there is definitely some material in it that won't be useful in a Realms-based campaign. However, at the same time, most of the old classes and races are included, meaning the core Kara Tur material is still present.

In order for OA characters to be incorporated into your Realms campaign, you'll need to locate some information, such as maps and history, that show you where and how that nation/region connects to the rest of the world. To be honest, I'm not sure where you could find that information, but I suspect there are numerous fan websites out there that could help.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_karsus wrote:-All Oriental Adventures sourcebooks/adventures- as opposed to simply creating an "Asian-themed" game- that took place during 1e and 2e are set in Kara-Tur, which is a continent located east of Faerûn, connected to Faerûn's eastern lands via the Hordelands. The 3e era Oriental Adventures book was set in Rokugan, which has no affiliation with the Forgotten Realms.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

wulfgart wrote:But Kara-Tur does still exist in D&D 4th edition Forgotten Realms and such right? I mean, if I want to play the Samurai class, cant I just say Im from Kara-Tur or I got trained by a samurai from Kara-Tur etc. I remember Yoshimo in Baldur's Gate 2 are from Kara-Tur.

I use the rules for the samurai class from OA and play in 3rd or 4th edition D&D Forgotten Realms. (Havent got the 4th edition book yet though, but we're planning to get it).

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_karsus wrote:
wulfgart wrote:But Kara-Tur does still exist in D&D 4th edition Forgotten Realms and such right?
-Yes. Even though Kara-Tur received minimal mentions in 3e, and even fewer mentions in 4e thus far, it still exists.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

wancow wrote:
CmdrCorsiken wrote:In the case of the AD&D OA book, that setting was Kara Tur, which is actually a nation/region somewhere in the Forgotten Realms world. I don't know where, as I know almost nothing about the Realms.
It's been a long, long time since I had 1E OA, but I'm almost 100% Positive that Kara Tur was:

1. Published as part of OA 1E (which was a major error... imho...)
2. That it predated the Forgotted Realms as an official campaign setting
3. It was shoehorned into the Forgotten Realms almost as an afterthought

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_karsus wrote:
wancow wrote:1. Published as part of OA 1E (which was a major error... imho...)
-Right. The original Oriental Adventures book came out in 1985.
wancow wrote:2. That it predated the Forgotted Realms as an official campaign setting
-Only if you define a 'campaign setting' as something published by TSR. The Forgotten Realms was first created way back, in the 60s, by Ed Greenwood, who used it as a place to set all of the short stories he wrote as a kid.
wancow wrote:3. It was shoehorned into the Forgotten Realms almost as an afterthought
-No doubt, unfortunately. The Kara-Tur Re-Dux Project is injecting a lot more originality and connectivity to Kara-Tur, should you wish to join/participate.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

wancow wrote:
lord_karsus wrote:-Only if you define a 'campaign setting' as something published by TSR. The Forgotten Realms was first created way back, in the 60s, by Ed Greenwood, who used it as a place to set all of the short stories he wrote as a kid.
Which is why I said "Official" Campaign Setting :D
lord_karsus wrote:-No doubt, unfortunately. The Kara-Tur Re-Dux Project is injecting a lot more originality and connectivity to Kara-Tur, should you wish to join/participate.
You misunderstand me. I am NOT knocking the idea of Kara Tur, only that it should never, EVER have been a part of the OA Tome!

Kara Tur worked, in spite of what I said about China, Tibet and SE Asia. It still worked...

Was it OA5 that had the Monkey Guy training you? Or was OA5 the one about the Yakuza?

The original OA Modules (I think there were nine of them) were OUT STANDING! They outshined most other D&D Modules ever produced.

Overall, OA was a beautifully well produced and thought out product.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_karsus wrote:
wancow wrote:You misunderstand me. I am NOT knocking the idea of Kara Tur, only that it should never, EVER have been a part of the OA Tome!
-No, I agree on that matter I am of the opinion that, if you have a setting, put the setting in it's own book. Don't let specific information about that place color the rules; that way, when I want to use the rules, but not the setting, it's easier for me. The 3e Oriental Adventures is a prime example of this: I have an 'Oriental' section in my own setting, but it's not Rokugan. So, a great deal of the rules in OA don't work for me as is, and I need to go about the work of changing things, so they can work.

-Let them, WotC, make an Oriental Adventures book that's basically derived all from actual Asian culture, along with stereotypical Asian fantasy elements, AND make a Kara-Tur/Rokugan/whatever else book that details that place, using the rules set up in the other book.
wancow wrote:Overall, OA was a beautifully well produced and thought out product.
-On that matter, I disagree. I like Kara-Tur a lot, mind you, but there's plenty of seeming bone-headed errors, continuity scribbles, and moments where I say to myself, "Did they actually put thought and effort into this?" That's what the Kara-Tur Re-Dux Project is. Asides for adding more connectivity between Faerûn and Kara-Tur, to make Kara-Tur feel more a part of the planet, instead of being tacked on as an afterthought to the Forgotten Realms, we're improving on Kara-Tur itself- adding in more history, more depth, more "Kara-Turan" identity, as opposed to "South Asian" identity.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

wancow wrote:Well, I was actually thinking more of the modules :D

Blood of the Yakuza... Damn, that was an amazing module! But they all were! The seven sword module, basically a classic japanese ghost story, or at least, that's what its mood was. Mad Monkey vs. the Dragon Claw (AD&D/Forgotten Realms/Oriental Adventures Module OA5) ACTUALLY AVAILABLE ON AMAZON! Wow!

Return to “Kara-Tur”