[Mahasarpa] Mahasarpa Campaign Setting

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Mahasarpa] Mahasarpa Campaign Setting

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:23 pm

James Wyatt made a Web Enhancement for Oriental Adventures called The Mahasarpa Campaign:
James Wyatt at the Wizards of the Coast website wrote:Oriental Adventures offers complete rules for running a campaign with a medieval Oriental motif. The Mahasarpa Campaign contains a whole new small-scale campaign setting that utilizes the rules from the Oriental Adventures accessory! The land of Mahasarpa is an ancient one, and it possesses many places that aspiring adventurers can go explore. It also features new creatures, adds new flavor to the prestige classes you'll find in Oriental Adventures, provides you with source material to get started on your own Mahasarpa campaign, and more!

The bonus material in the The Mahasarpa Campaign web enhancement takes the rules from Oriental Adventures and shows you how flexible they can be. It's exclusive to this website.
Personally, I'd have preferred Wizards of the Coast to have given us a Kara-Tur web enhancement, but something is better than nothing.

Has anyone ever played OA with this Mahasarpa Campaign Setting? If so what did you think of it?

Is there anything else to this, or is a one off thing?
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Re: [Mahasarpa] Mahasarpa Campaign Setting

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:27 am

Big Mac wrote:James Wyatt made a Web Enhancement for Oriental Adventures called The Mahasarpa Campaign:
James Wyatt at the Wizards of the Coast website wrote:Oriental Adventures offers complete rules for running a campaign with a medieval Oriental motif. The Mahasarpa Campaign contains a whole new small-scale campaign setting that utilizes the rules from the Oriental Adventures accessory! The land of Mahasarpa is an ancient one, and it possesses many places that aspiring adventurers can go explore. It also features new creatures, adds new flavor to the prestige classes you'll find in Oriental Adventures, provides you with source material to get started on your own Mahasarpa campaign, and more!

The bonus material in the The Mahasarpa Campaign web enhancement takes the rules from Oriental Adventures and shows you how flexible they can be. It's exclusive to this website.
Personally, I'd have preferred Wizards of the Coast to have given us a Kara-Tur web enhancement, but something is better than nothing.

Has anyone ever played OA with this Mahasarpa Campaign Setting? If so what did you think of it?

First, I have never seen anything additional published or released for Mahasarpa.

I like that is takes the oriental flavor and shifts it to south central Asia. It's the first time I've read any D&D material flavored like India. (Not that I've read a particularly wide range of material....) The setting is intriguing. I have considered adapting it for use in my Mystara campaigns, but haven not had the opportunity to sit down see if that's really possible.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:03 am

I remember this web enhancement, I thought it was pretty good. I've always liked short and sweet presentations of an entire campaign setting.
CmdrCorsiken wrote:It's the first time I've read any D&D material flavored like India.
FWIW, there was once a series of articles in Dragon Magazine about Indian-flavored campaigns. I recall articles on various character kits, weapons, etc. I don't remember which issues they were, only that it was sometime during the 90s. A friend of mine was quite excited about it, but he never ended up running a campaign.
- Selman

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 am

Philosopher wrote:FWIW, there was once a series of articles in Dragon Magazine about Indian-flavored campaigns. I recall articles on various character kits, weapons, etc. I don't remember which issues they were, only that it was sometime during the 90s. A friend of mine was quite excited about it, but he never ended up running a campaign.

Dragon #189 is the one you're looking for. Great issue. Also one of the issues with Dominion Rules by Bruce Heard!
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:Image

Dragon #189 is the one you're looking for. Great issue. Also one of the issues with Dominion Rules by Bruce Heard!
Thanks. Were they all in this issue? I thought there were a few articles spread out over several issues, but I could easily be mistaken about that.
- Selman

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:51 am

Nevermind, I just remembered that I had something called the DragonDex bookmarked. It's an index of all articles from Dragon. Here's what I found:

"Rhino's Armor, Tiger's Claws" by Michael J. Varhola, issue 189
"Caste of Characters" by Michael A. Selinker, issue 225
"Bazaar of the Bizarre: The Magic of India" by Michael Selinker, issue 229
"Arcane Lore: Monsoons and the Power of Om" by Michael A. Selinker, issue 226

By the way, the DragonDex can be found here.
- Selman

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:03 am

Philosopher wrote:Nevermind, I just remembered that I had something called the DragonDex bookmarked. It's an index of all articles from Dragon. Here's what I found:

"Rhino's Armor, Tiger's Claws" by Michael J. Varhola, issue 189
"Caste of Characters" by Michael A. Selinker, issue 225
"Bazaar of the Bizarre: The Magic of India" by Michael Selinker, issue 229
"Arcane Lore: Monsoons and the Power of Om" by Michael A. Selinker, issue 226

By the way, the DragonDex can be found here.
Don't forget Legends and Lore (2nd edition). That has an entire chapter on the Indian gods (as well as rules for Dharma, Karma, and Reincarnation). (Legends and Lore is also the product that gives you information about the gods of Fritz Leiber’s Nehwon.)

Legends and Lore is available as a free download (albiet in RTF format) from Wizards of the Coast: I've checked both Paizo and RPG Now, and the 2nd edition version of Legends and Lore is not available as a PDF. But with this being an RTF file, you can edit it yourself and tidy it up. So you could cut out the Indian culture, improve the formatting, and make a small booklet that you could printout and give to your players.

I've often thought about using the ESD Conversion Agreement (along with the Classics Downloads FAQ permission to "reuse text" of any of the free downloads in a 3rd edition conversion) to create a 3rd edition Legends and Lore PDF. But it would be a major project to organise! (With Legends and Lore being a generic product, I've never seen a community that would be able to help me organise this sort of thing. Although it is just possible that The Piazza might be the solution to this old problem of mine.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:44 am

Big Mac wrote:Don't forget Legends and Lore (2nd edition). That has an entire chapter on the Indian gods (as well as rules for Dharma, Karma, and Reincarnation).
That's right! That would be a good resource to draw upon.
Big Mac wrote:I've often thought about using the ESD Conversion Agreement (along with the Classics Downloads FAQ permission to "reuse text" of any of the free downloads in a 3rd edition conversion) to create a 3rd edition Legends and Lore PDF. But it would be a major project to organise! (With Legends and Lore being a generic product, I've never seen a community that would be able to help me organise this sort of thing. Although it is just possible that The Piazza might be the solution to this old problem of mine.)
Do you mean just a list of domains and favored weapons, or the full stats as found in the 3e Deities & Demigods?
- Selman

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:37 am

Philosopher wrote:Do you mean just a list of domains and favored weapons, or the full stats as found in the 3e Deities & Demigods?
Agreed. What is the goal behind your project, and what seems like it would be so daunting about it? I'm curious, and would love to lend a hand, at least creatively, if nothing else.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:29 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Philosopher wrote:Do you mean just a list of domains and favored weapons, or the full stats as found in the 3e Deities & Demigods?
Agreed. What is the goal behind your project, and what seems like it would be so daunting about it? I'm curious, and would love to lend a hand, at least creatively, if nothing else.
The main thing that is "daunting" is that I've started too many little things and then got busy at work. If I plodded along, I could probably get most of this stuff done by myself.

It is a full stat thing, I was thinking of. I was actually thinking of converting all of Legends and Lore to 3rd edition (including the spells, magic items and things like the Karma rules as well as the domains, favored weapons and so on). So the finished product would be about the same size as the original. (Normally this wouldn't be allowed, but because this is a freebie download, the original text can be use, as if it was OGC, in a conversion.)

Converting the gods (or avatars of gods) is a bit problematic, as I think they should be bumped up in level under 3rd edition, but the domains, and other things that clerics use, would be a lot easier to do.

After all of that is done, I would need to get a new cover picture (and maybe artwork for each individual pantheon) to add into a PDF.

As to the "goal" behind the project. It is partly that Deities and Demigods (3e) doesn't provide all the pantheons of the 1e version of the book. This could provide missing gods. The 3e Deities and Demigods does use some gods from Legends and Lore and I've thought about using or not using those deities.

I'm looking for a ready to use list of dozens of deities and the original Legends and Lore did that. This actually comes back to Spelljammer (everything does with me). What I'm after is a long list of deities, where I can randomly pick several different gods from different pantheons, to make a "pick and mix" pantheon on the fly. I figure that if the gods of Legends and Lore were randomly shuffled to give sets of 12-20 deities, a GM could quickly create multiple pantheons for multiple crystal spheres. With this many deities in the product, it would be a while before gods got recycled so much, that people got bored with them. (In any case, you need to recycle gods in SJ to get the Planar Churches and Polygot Faiths to work.)

The alternative way to do this project, would be to chop it down into chapters and put them out one pantheon at a time.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:58 pm

To get this thread back on topic, I've just stumbled onto James Wyatt's Mahasarpa Campaign.

EDIT: Dead link replaced by Wayback Machine link.

So the answer to my original question is that James Wyatt, himself, has used Mahasarpa! :D

I also found someone on ENWorld (with the name Walking Dad) who has been adapting Mahasarpa to Pathfinder RPG rules. He has a link to three interesting downloads (from Creative Conclave) in his first post.
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:28 am

I also vaguely remember a 2e scenario called the Star of Kolhapur (or something like that) that was supposed to have more of an Indian feel to it. It was floating around Drivethru RPG until the recent unpleasantness. Unfortunately I never got a chance to get it :cry:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:33 am

waylander39 wrote:I also vaguely remember a 2e scenario called the Star of Kolhapur (or something like that) that was supposed to have more of an Indian feel to it. It was floating around Drivethru RPG until the recent unpleasantness. Unfortunately I never got a chance to get it :cry:
You know. I've looked on Amazon, and a lot of these out of print TSR products actually have a page and you can buy stuff new or used from Amazon Affiliates. If you can get the ISBN number from anywhere, it would be really easy to find it.

The find-book.co.uk website might also help you find a paper copy of old TSR modules. (Sadly it couldn't find this one. The author and ISBN details fed into the database look wrong. This usually seems to happen when an Amazon Affiliate member puts dodgy data for a secondhand book onto Amazon.)

The US version of Amazon (Amazon.com) has currently got three used copies of The Star of Kolhapur by Michael Selinker, but you will need to pay international shipping charges.

Amazon also has a "Listmania" page called Fantasy India D&D Resources. Something else on that list might interest you.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:04 pm

The Link in post 1 is dead :(

Thankfully was able to find a new one for the Mahasarpa Campaign
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Boneguard wrote:The Link in post 1 is dead :(

Thanks Boneguard. I've since discovered that WotC changed their old URLs from www.wizards... to archive.wizards... and have been able to restore the link.

I've also added in a quote of James Wyatt's introductory paragraph.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:31 pm

I would very definitely be interested in giving this a try.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:

Thanks Boneguard. I've since discovered that WotC changed their old URLs from www.wizards... to archive.wizards... and have been able to restore the link.

Great!! Considering it's the only place with the Vanara "Monster sheet" (it's missing from the corebook), it would be a shame to lose this ressource.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:20 pm

willpell wrote:I would very definitely be interested in giving this a try.
It's free to download. Go for it! :)
Boneguard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Great!! Considering it's the only place with the Vanara "Monster sheet" (it's missing from the corebook), it would be a shame to lose this ressource.
They still might pull their webcontent at some time. (They pulled the 2e downloads, then pulled the mailing lists, then pulled the forums. This might go at some point in the future.) It would be wise for everyone to grab a copy.

I've started a second topic to discuss the Geek.com coverage of Mahasarpa, and might start up a third to talk about James Wyatt's website.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:49 pm

Big Mac wrote: They still might pull their webcontent at some time. (They pulled the 2e downloads, then pulled the mailing lists, then pulled the forums. This might go at some point in the future.) It would be wise for everyone to grab a copy.
Oh I agree, that's why I have my copy saved on my USB key :)

I trust them only as far as I can throw them.

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Big Mac wrote:James Wyatt made a Web Enhancement for Oriental Adventures called The Mahasarpa Campaign:

It's cool/fun. Indian based gaming needs more attention by gamers. Pretty much a one off (James' stuff is about it)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:01 pm

genghisdon wrote:

It's cool/fun. Indian based gaming needs more attention by gamers. Pretty much a one off (James' stuff is about it)
I've come around to the idea a lot more, since I wrote that in 2008. :)

I'd still like to see more new Kara-Tur content, but I think that Mahasarpa could be another planet that people from Kara-Tur could visit.

There is some Indian stuff in Legends and Lore. It's not specifically designed for Mahasarpa, but perhaps we could have a separate topic about the changes required (if any) to import it.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:There is some Indian stuff in Legends and Lore. It's not specifically designed for Mahasarpa, but perhaps we could have a separate topic about the changes required (if any) to import it.
There's an essay on Indian culture, an "ascetic" character class, some wonky karma rules, and an assortment of Indian gods. I wouldn't use any of it in Mahasarpa, personally.

Goodman Games' The Complete Guide to Rakshasas would be a more useful source.

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:05 am

So I remember finding a site that expanded on Jame Wyatt's Mahasarpa campaign setting providing additional deities and a timeline but I can't find it any more. Does anyone what I'm talking about and where I can find it, even if it's dead.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:14 am

nick_crenshaw82 wrote:So I remember finding a site that expanded on Jame Wyatt's Mahasarpa campaign setting providing additional deities and a timeline but I can't find it any more. Does anyone what I'm talking about and where I can find it, even if it's dead.
It's been taken offline, but there is a James Wyatt's Mahasarpa Campaign topic, where I have been archiving some of the content from the Wayback Machine onto the forums. :)

nick_crenshaw82
The Gaming Noob

Post by nick_crenshaw82 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 am

Big Mac wrote:
nick_crenshaw82 wrote:So I remember finding a site that expanded on Jame Wyatt's Mahasarpa campaign setting providing additional deities and a timeline but I can't find it any more. Does anyone what I'm talking about and where I can find it, even if it's dead.
It's been taken offline, but there is a James Wyatt's Mahasarpa Campaign topic, where I have been archiving some of the content from the Wayback Machine onto the forums. :)
I have seen that but all that stuff looks like just game play, not what i'm looking for.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”