OD&D Classes

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

OD&D Classes

Post by Havard » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:14 pm

This table is snatched from a thread in the BECMI forum:

[b]OD&D CLASS[/b] | [b]SOURCE[/b] | NOTES Fighting Man | White Box | Core Class Magic User | White Box | Core Class Cleric | White Box | Core Class Elf | White Box | Race Dwarf | White Box | Race Hobbit | White Box | Race Thief | Supplement I: Greyhawk | Core Class Paladin | Supplement I: Greyhawk | Core Class Assassin | Supplement II: Blackmoor | Core Class Monk | Supplement II: Blackmoor | Core Class Druid | [url=viewtopic.php?f=101&t=14656]Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry[/url] | Core Class Psionic Powered Characters | [url=viewtopic.php?f=101&t=14656]Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry[/url] | Not a class, but options available for spellcasters Bard | Strategic Review 2.1, p11 | Ranger | Strategic Review 1.2, p. 4 | Illusionist | Strategic Review 1.4, p. 5 | Barbarian | White Dwarf 4 | Beserker | Dragon 3, p.27 | Samurai | Dragon 3 | Idiot | Dragon 3, p.28 | Humoristic Class Jester | Dragon 3, p.28 | Humoristc Class Scribe | Dragon 3, p.23 | Healer | Dragon 3, p.22 | Alchemist | Dragon #2 | Witch |Dragon #5 | Not a complete PC Class? Witch |Dragon #20 | Not a complete PC Class?

Are there other classes available for OD&D?

Which ones do you allow in your campaigns? Are there classes that you never allow? Why?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:48 am, edited 6 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Re: OD&D Classes

Post by finarvyn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:17 pm

I'm a "stick to the basics" guy and the only idiots at my game table are players, not classes. :lol:

I always allow the "core four" of fighter, mage, rogue, cleric. Others (ranger, paladin, druid, monk, assassin) need to be considered on a case-for-cases basis. Most of the rest don't exist in my campaign unless a player really wants to lobby for one.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Vile
Bugbear

Post by Vile » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:01 am

There is also the Witch, in Dragons #5 and #20, although they may not count as full player character classes.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:46 pm

Vile wrote:There is also the Witch, in Dragons #5 and #20, although they may not count as full player character classes.
Interesting, in what ways is this not a full player class? Is it designed mainly for NPCs?

What are the main differences between a witch and a magic user?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 pm

I think it's Dragon #4 that has variant female classes for fighter, magic-user, cleric, and perhaps thief. I thought they were pretty kewl, but the ladies in my group were offended that I would even suggest that they get different abilities from the men.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

DMMike
Orc

Post by DMMike » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:40 pm

There's also the Alchemist, "New D&D Character Class: The Alchemist" by Jon Pickens in Dragon #2. However I've not had many PC play the class.

I generally allow most classes for OD&D though I haven't really allowed the silly ones. Though if a player insisted I might be convinced. :)

Mike

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:53 am

finarvyn wrote:I think it's Dragon #4 that has variant female classes for fighter, magic-user, cleric, and perhaps thief. I thought they were pretty kewl, but the ladies in my group were offended that I would even suggest that they get different abilities from the men.
Did these classes have separate names, like Valkyre, Witch or Amazon or things like that or was it just "female magic user"?

I think the idea of having separate classes based in gender in general is a bit strange, but I could see having a class based on a specific female archtype like the Amazon. OTOH, it might work as well to have the amazon just be a "Fighting Man" with different dressing.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:21 pm

finarvyn wrote:I think it's Dragon #4 that has variant female classes for fighter, magic-user, cleric, and perhaps thief. I thought they were pretty kewl, but the ladies in my group were offended that I would even suggest that they get different abilities from the men.
It's Dragon issue #3. Magic-user and cleric are pretty much unchanged. Fighter are not as good. Thieves gets some spells at high level and elven female casts clérical spells.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:27 am

You're missing the paladin, from Greyhawk, and the druid, from Eldritch Wizardry.

Also, OD&D didn't have races as classes. That came later.
- Selman

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:52 am

Philosopher wrote:You're missing the paladin, from Greyhawk, and the druid, from Eldritch Wizardry.

Also, OD&D didn't have races as classes. That came later.
Hi Philosopher! :) Haven't seen you in a while?

Thanks for the added classes. I have included them in the chart.

Good point about the races too. Am I right that Dwarves and Hobbits cold act as Fighting-Men, but that Elves had to choose whether to act as a Fighting Man or a Magic User?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey Havard. :) Yeah, I've been away for quite some time.

Yes, dwarves and hobbits advance as fighters. I think Greyhawk said they could also become thieves, but I'll have to look that up.

Elves were interesting, they advance as both fighters and magic-users, but not at the same time. On each adventure, they choose which class to be, abiding by its restrictions, and only gain XP for that class. The B/X elf class was a more elegant approach, I think, but this was at the beginning of the hobby, when all was still taking shape.
- Selman

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Y'know, I may actually have played this edition once. It was completely incomprehensible to me, but I was an elf, so that bit about advancing as both fighters and mages sounds familiar. I dunno for sure, because I asked the GM to just handle all the rules and let me simply choose the character's actions. Actually I was triple-classing; I think it was fighter-mage-cleric. I was confuzzled about how you could have three classes at level 1, but apparently it was something about front-loading the character so that he was amazing now, but wouldn't level up in forever (which worked out well given that I never played again :P .)

So was this indeed 1st edition D&D?

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:09 am

willpell wrote:Y'know, I may actually have played this edition once. It was completely incomprehensible to me, but I was an elf, so that bit about advancing as both fighters and mages sounds familiar. I dunno for sure, because I asked the GM to just handle all the rules and let me simply choose the character's actions. Actually I was triple-classing; I think it was fighter-mage-cleric. I was confuzzled about how you could have three classes at level 1, but apparently it was something about front-loading the character so that he was amazing now, but wouldn't level up in forever (which worked out well given that I never played again :P .)

So was this indeed 1st edition D&D?
Could be 1st edition AD&D with Unearthed Arcana. Fighter/Magic-user/Cleric is a valid potential class combination for all (half)elf but Wild Elf.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:17 pm

Philosopher wrote:Yes, dwarves and hobbits advance as fighters. I think Greyhawk said they could also become thieves, but I'll have to look that up
I've got Greyhawk in front of me now, so I can confirm this. It says that, "dwarves, elves, half-elves, or hobbits may be thieves," and none of them have a level limit in this class.

Dwarves may be both fighters and thieves, splitting XP evenly, even after fighter level is maxed. There are dwarven clerics, but never as PCs.

There are elven clerics, but they "interact only with their own kind." And it seems to stipulate that they're all fighter/magic-user/clerics. Elven thieves are either just thieves, or fighter/magic-user/thieves. In the latter case, they also split XP evenly, so this is a change.

No multiclassing options for hobbits.

Interestingly, it does not say that paladins have to be human.

According to Blackmoor, only humans may become either monks or assassins.

Eldritch Wizardry doesn't say anything about racial restrictions on druids.
- Selman

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Philosopher wrote:According to Blackmoor, only humans may become either monks or assassins.
In the 3.0 Hero Builder's Guidebook, there's a chapter discussing each possible combination of the 11 core classes and 7 core races in the 3rd edition PHB. Of these 77 paragraphs, I've read about half, and I noticed that both the Dwarf Monk and the Elf Monk are described as having had to learn monk-stuff in human monasteries, though it alludes to the possibility of them eventually founding their own. Both of these race-classes are labeled with a "Uniqueness" section, a block of canned text describing how unusual such a thing is; none of the other elves, dwarves, humans or gnomes are described with this.

Seriously, Wotco guys; the monk is NOT that special.

D.daniel.wagner
Goblin

Post by D.daniel.wagner » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:12 am

Cleric of Thor, Cleric of Mitra, Beorning, and Samurai. Aurania.

Return to “Original D&D”