[Homebrew] Race: Monkey-Folk

The next iteration of the Dungeons & Dragons game.
The Book-House: Find 5th Edition products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

willpell
Black Dragon

[Homebrew] Race: Monkey-Folk

Post by willpell » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:54 pm

The Vanaras of Oriental Adventures and the Hadozee of Stormwrack are combined into two subraces of a single race, with setting-neutral generic flavor, as follows.

Simians
• Your Wisdom increases by 2.
• Your size is Medium.
• Your base speed is 30 feet. You also have a climb speed of 20 feet, and you have advantage on Strength checks made to jump, as well as on Dexterity checks made to keep your balance.
* Choose one of the following two subraces.

Sky Kin
* Your Dexterity increases by 2.
* You have resistance against falling damage, and may negate it entirely with a Dexterity check at a DC equal to the amount of damage that would be taken after applying resistance. (If you fail this check, you take full damage; the check does not reduce the damage at all unless it does so completely.) Additionally, you effectively have a fly speed equal to the height above the ground at which you start after launching into the air, although you cannot gain altitude with this flight. (Reference the Cloak of Gliding.) Landing after gliding counts as a fall, but you have advantage on the check to negate the damage.

Shadow Kin
* Your Intelligence and Charisma each increase by 1.
* You have advantage on Stealth checks and on Constitution checks to concentrate on a spell.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Homebrew] Race: Monkey-Folk

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:55 pm

Nice!

Hadozee also appear in the Spelljammer and Mystara (Savage Coast) Settings.

This could become useful in my current Mystara campaign.

Thanks for sharing :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:29 pm

The one concern I have is that, of the races in the PHB, not one gives +2 to Wisdom. Probably this is not an issue in the grand scheme of things - it's not like a cleric with 20 wisdom gets two extra spells in this edition - but it might mean that a party with a monkey-folk is difficult for the GM to stealthily ambush.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:32 pm

Interesting ^^ Here is some nitpicking for you. This is just my opinion of course ^^
I don't think there is a subrace that grants +2 to another ability score. I would put +1 and be done with it ;)
* You have resistance against falling damage, and may negate it entirely with a Dexterity check at a DC equal to the amount of damage that would be taken after applying resistance. (If you fail this check, you take full damage; the check does not reduce the damage at all unless it does so completely.)
This feels a little bit too complicated (in the sense that it is two different mechanisms (resistance // "saving throw") that have the same purpose ( i.e. reducing falling damage ). I probably would remove the resistance altogether and keep only the Dexterity check (with the added mention that you need to spend your reaction to do so, or at least not be incapacitated...)
* Additionally, you effectively have a fly speed equal to the height above the ground at which you start after launching into the air, although you cannot gain altitude with this flight. (Reference the Cloak of Gliding.) Landing after gliding counts as a fall, but you have advantage on the check to negate the damage.
So if I am on top of a 1 mile cliff (it's fantasy, it could happen!) I have a glide speed of 1 mile for 1 round? :P I think there should be a limit ^^
* You have advantage on Stealth checks and on Constitution checks to concentrate on a spell.
I'm not convince by the advantage on Stealth checks. Wood elves have it, but on the condition that they are obscured by some natural phenomena. I would probably add a limit as well.
My Slarecian Vault contributions - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:29 pm

haazeven wrote:
I don't think there is a subrace that grants +2 to another ability score. I would put +1 and be done with it ;)
Mountain Dwarf is +2 STR as well as +2 CON. There's also precedent for the other monkey-race's three total abilities boosted, in the Half-Elf's "+2 CHA and +1 each to two others of your choice". Ultimately the Ability boosts are the only drastic difference between Hadozee and Vanaras, apart from the former's patagia and shallow things like favored class; unable to give the Hadozee -2 Charisma for their +2 Dexterity, I settled for giving the non-Hadozee version +1 Charisma (instead of making the Hadozee ugly, they're simply less beautiful than their kin), in addition to matching the Wisdom and Intelligence boosts of the Vanara.
* You have resistance against falling damage, and may negate it entirely with a Dexterity check at a DC equal to the amount of damage that would be taken after applying resistance. (If you fail this check, you take full damage; the check does not reduce the damage at all unless it does so completely.)
This feels a little bit too complicated (in the sense that it is two different mechanisms (resistance // "saving throw") that have the same purpose ( i.e. reducing falling damage ). I probably would remove the resistance altogether and keep only the Dexterity check (with the added mention that you need to spend your reaction to do so, or at least not be incapacitated...)[/quote]

I agree that it's overcomplected. I promise not to come to your house and beat you with sticks if you play a simplified version. You're probably right about the reaction clause though.
So if I am on top of a 1 mile cliff (it's fantasy, it could happen!) I have a glide speed of 1 mile for 1 round? :P I think there should be a limit ^^
Point...like I said, it was in reference to the Cloak of Gliding, and I didn't bother to look up what that actually says, so feel free to replace my text with what's in the DMG.
I'm not convince by the advantage on Stealth checks. Wood elves have it, but on the condition that they are obscured by some natural phenomena. I would probably add a limit as well.
Yeah, the same limit is appropriate here, go ahead and splice that in.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:35 pm

I'd like this as a PC race for a Star Frontiers D&D5 game! Now, on to the other Star Frontiers races! :mrgreen:

For those who don't recognize the Star Frontiers PC races here, look up the Hadozee in the AD&D2e Spelljammer Monstrous Manual. The Hadozee = Yazirian, ? = Vrusk, ? = Dralasite, ? = Sathar... again, no books, poor references. :oops:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:53 pm

I'm not sure that the Dralasites and so forth correspond to anything in D&D. But I'm no expert on Spelljammer, Star Frontiers, or the deeper lore of D&D in general; there might well be parallels I don't know about. However, as far as I'm aware, the Yazirians/Hadozee are the only match.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:58 pm

willpell wrote:I'm not sure that the Dralasites and so forth correspond to anything in D&D. But I'm no expert on Spelljammer, Star Frontiers, or the deeper lore of D&D in general; there might well be parallels I don't know about. However, as far as I'm aware, the Yazirians/Hadozee are the only match.
They are there, in their AD&D2e Spelljammer guises, if not converted verbatim, they are there in spirit. :cool:
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Hm. So who's the Dralasite equivalent, and were they ever ported into non-Spelljammer D&D? They were easily my favorite of the races alluded to in the Star Frontiers "Endless Quest" book I own.

haazeven
Bugbear

Post by haazeven » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:44 am

willpell wrote:Mountain Dwarf is +2 STR as well as +2 CON.
Oh yeah, I forgot them, my bad ^^ Thanks for sharing some insight on how you chose the other stats, it's quite interesting :P
I promise not to come to your house and beat you with sticks if you play a simplified version.
Lol, I promise the same ^^ sorry if my tone was a little bit patronizing, I have a bad habit of over-doing this kind of stuff :P
My Slarecian Vault contributions - 5E resources for the Scarred Lands

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:31 pm

willpell wrote:The Vanaras of Oriental Adventures and the Hadozee of Stormwrack are combined into two subraces of a single race, with setting-neutral generic flavor, as follows.
I'm not familiar with the Vanaras, but I believe that the Hadozee are apes, rather than monkeys.

(While this might seem like nit-picking, there could be some in-character advantages and disadvantages to having a tail, in a D&D game. Hadozee already have problems wearing normal clothes, because of their wing membranes. PCs/NPCs would need to wear special trousers and have special armour, although they might just tuck in their tails if they wear armour. A tail might also give PCs/NPCs an additional slot for wearing magic items.)
willpell wrote:I'm not sure that the Dralasites and so forth correspond to anything in D&D. But I'm no expert on Spelljammer, Star Frontiers, or the deeper lore of D&D in general; there might well be parallels I don't know about. However, as far as I'm aware, the Yazirians/Hadozee are the only match.
Three of the Star Frontiers races were recycled into Spelljammer creatures. And the Yazirians were recycled twice, becoming both Spelljammer's Hadozee, and also Dragonlance's Shadow People.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:52 pm

haazeven wrote:Lol, I promise the same ^^ sorry if my tone was a little bit patronizing, I have a bad habit of over-doing this kind of stuff :P
I officially do not ever get to complain about anyone's tone of "voice"....
Big Mac wrote:I'm not familiar with the Vanaras, but I believe that the Hadozee are apes, rather than monkeys.
Details.... But yes, neither group has a tail, entirely because of the rules issues you point out.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 pm

There are the Plasmoids but they don't have the same personality/traits of the Dralasites so I wouldn't consider them the same. Sylix are Sathar. Rastipede are Vrusk.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:13 pm

I'd better add a sentence to the Sky Kin's gliding ability: "This fly speed cannot exceed the distance your character falls in a round". No jumping off the tallest tower in the Forgotten Realms and landing safely a quarter-mile away....

Return to “D&D 5th Edition”