Adapting the X10 to the Hollow World

For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky.
The Book-House: Find Hollow World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Thorf

Adapting the X10 to the Hollow World

Postby Havard » Sun May 08, 2016 3:33 pm

Could it be done?

Who would take the role of the Desert Nomads? The Heldannic Knights? Alphatia? The Azcan Empire?

Would it be possible to forge an alliance between the Hollow World nations to unite against a common enemy?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Adapting the X10 to the Hollow World

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 09, 2016 12:12 pm

Thomas Pizard thinks you need to change the scale of X10 to get it to fit HW:
Thomas Pizard at the Facebook group for The Piazza wrote:Certainly but to involve this number of states, the scale has to be much larger scale! A continental war! Finding the casus belli and reson to fight for such a war is another challenge. If we want to be more reasonable, a milenian civil war concluding the Milenian scpeter rather than the proposed (too much pulp for me) ending with each side trying to rally political factions, cults, foreign backings and allied tribes, legions and cities... :)

a typical roman civil war. ;)

I'm wondering how much empty space Hollow World has (for adding in homebrew HW cultures). :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sturm » Mon May 09, 2016 5:33 pm

I made a full HW map for Threshold issue 9 here:
http://pandius.com/Hollow_World_60mph.png
I believe it works better as a 60 mph map but in Canon and also for Thorf's calculations, it is supposed to be 40 mph.
Either way, there is quite some space...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon May 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Big Mac wrote:Thomas Pizard thinks you need to change the scale of X10 to get it to fit HW:
Thomas Pizard at the Facebook group for The Piazza wrote:Certainly but to involve this number of states, the scale has to be much larger scale! A continental war! Finding the casus belli and reson to fight for such a war is another challenge. If we want to be more reasonable, a milenian civil war concluding the Milenian scpeter rather than the proposed (too much pulp for me) ending with each side trying to rally political factions, cults, foreign backings and allied tribes, legions and cities... :)

a typical roman civil war. ;)

I'm wondering how much empty space Hollow World has (for adding in homebrew HW cultures). :?

As Sturm points out, there is an excellent map in Threshold. There is tons of additional space in the Hollow World for additional realms. Here's a list of official and fan created realms that were added after the release of the Hollow World boxed set.

Thomas Pizard has a great point. If every nation on the main continent of Iciria should be involved it would be a truly epic campaign indeed. One way to reduce the scale somewhat is to focus on Northern Iciria only?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Patrick » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:12 am

One thing about the setup in X10 that gives the good guys a fighting chance is the way that the Master's forces are so constrained in the early game--a long march around Lake Amsorak with divided forces, and if they stray into territory claimed by the clans or Glantri, they've just handed Darokin an ally. For a similar setup, Lake Menkor seems most promising... start out assuming that the Hutaaka and Nithia have a very close relationship. The Master has united (more or less) the Krugel Hordes and the Brutemen, and starts X10 with an invasion of Xyqata then continues pushing south toward Menkara and Tarthis. The PCs join up with the Nithian Diplomatic Corps (or whatever), and they fight it out. And I'd say rather than trying to artificially constrain the possibilities for PCs (Just Eastern Iciria, or whatever), why not let them try to recruit anyone they want anywhere in the Hollow World, if they can get there.
Patrick
Bugbear

Postby Havard » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Patrick wrote:One thing about the setup in X10 that gives the good guys a fighting chance is the way that the Master's forces are so constrained in the early game--a long march around Lake Amsorak with divided forces, and if they stray into territory claimed by the clans or Glantri, they've just handed Darokin an ally. For a similar setup, Lake Menkor seems most promising... start out assuming that the Hutaaka and Nithia have a very close relationship. The Master has united (more or less) the Krugel Hordes and the Brutemen, and starts X10 with an invasion of Xyqata then continues pushing south toward Menkara and Tarthis. The PCs join up with the Nithian Diplomatic Corps (or whatever), and they fight it out. And I'd say rather than trying to artificially constrain the possibilities for PCs (Just Eastern Iciria, or whatever), why not let them try to recruit anyone they want anywhere in the Hollow World, if they can get there.

Hey Patrick!

What you are saying about artificial constraints makes total sense. I really like the starting point of the Krugel Horde and the Brutemen being united under an evil "Master" and attempting to invade Hutaaka and Nithia. As you say, what happens next is up to the PCs. From a DM's perspective you would probably need to come up with scenarios that the PCs can undertake to make the rulers more willing to join in the war on Nithia's side though. I suppose some of the mini adventures in X10 might even be adapted for that use.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:25 pm

As noted, running X10 in quite the same manner as the module describes, wherein many polities are involved in the conflict, would require one of two things. Either scaling it upwards to a massive degree to involve all/many of the various cultures of the HW, or else keeping it more "local". Both would require some effort, given the current state of the source material.

The first, scaling it up, is obviously a tremendous effort, and would not only require some work to generate the various nations' forces, but it would also probably require some degree of plotting to explain how and why the Spell of Preservation would allow such a continent-wide conflagration. Things like explaining why certain cultures band together on such a big scale, why they would cooperate with one another, how any would-be conqueror would actually hope to be able to come into Master-scale influence and hope to succeed at their goal.

The other option, which I think is more workable, is to keep it confined- as some have suggested- to a smaller area. This would require a region or regions that have different political subdivisions and regional conflicts- political and/or social. Of the nations that we have information on so far, the only ones that have currently enough to work with would be the Azcan, Nithian, and Milenian Empires, as well as Shahjapur. In the canonical info on these places, there are already known to be internal as well as external conflicts, among nations that are also outwardly aggressive. I think it would be relatively easier to work to fit any of them into an X10 model than to do a continental battle. (Add to this Geoff's Selhomarr as well).

There are definitely some other areas that I think would work, albeit ones with considerably less source material to base such a conflict on: the Oltecs, the Antalians, the Traldar. The latter I think could be rather interesting to try and work out as a HW Trojan War kind of conflict.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:56 pm

To touch on Patrick and Havard's suggestions vis a vis Nithia and southeastern Iciria, don't forget that the Kogolor dwarves would be a major obstacle to any Krugel movement through the mountain passes, and certainly present a more orderly state society than their immediate southern neighbors who would oppose any Krugel aggression.

On the other hand, there are political subdivisions within Nithia itself that would create some major territory ripe for an X10-style conflict. What immediately comes to mind, to me, is the conflict between the Pharaoh and the northern and southern kings of Nithia. In particular, I think co-opting the northern king Senkha would be perfect. She is already (HWR2) being manipulated by Soth and Sekhaba (on behalf of Thanatos and Ranivorus) and her own misguided desire for power, much in the way the Master is a servitor of Entropy in the X-series. In a pre-PWA rescaling of the module, the Pharaoh is still around and would be a great unifying power for the nation against any ambitions of Senkha, but there is always the possibility that the southern king Al-Belak would use any conflicts between them to further his own goals. It becomes even easier to set the stage in a PWA era setting, as Senkha's marriage to Pharaoh Ramose makes her even more influential, and then when Ramose goes missing (PWA1013) she becomes his successor. The PCs would then need to find allies to combat her growing corruption and conflict, rallying various cities and towns to stand against her as well as the southern king (and possibly overthrowing him). They may even need to bring in outsiders, such as the Hutaaka or Jennite mercenaries, or even Tanagoro or distant Milenians. Even if the Milenians aren't directly brought in, they may find the conflict in Nithia opportune to further their expansionist efforts, and doubtless the Jennites would take the opportunity to increase raiding.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Return to Hollow World