[Holmes][Monsters & Perils] Anyone played this?

From Men & Magic to Unearthed Arcana; OD&D & Holmes.
The Book-House: Find OD&D products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Holmes][Monsters & Perils] Anyone played this?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:46 am

Tim Baker mentioned that the Mazes & Perils Deluxe Edition is on sale.

I've never heard of this before, but apparently it is a retro-clone of Holmes D&D (or a similar system that was inspired by Holmes D&D).

Has anyone played Monsters and Perils? What do you think of it?

Is it compatible enough with Holmes for people to use this with D&D products of that era?

Does it continue on (as if Holmes was paid to create a bigger system that went to higher levels) or does it have the same sort of level limits as Holmes D&D?

Is there a Monsters & Perils campaign setting? And, if so, does it dovetail with the setting that Professor Holmes created or is it radically different?

Are there a lot of MnP adventures out there? Can they easily be used with Holmes rules instead of MnP?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Holmes][Monsters & Perils] Anyone played this?

Post by RobJN » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:56 am

You might hit up the G+ group and see what's going on there, Big Mac.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Holmes][Monsters & Perils] Anyone played this?

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:27 am

Big Mac wrote:Has anyone played Monsters and Perils? What do you think of it?

Is it compatible enough with Holmes for people to use this with D&D products of that era?

Does it continue on (as if Holmes was paid to create a bigger system that went to higher levels) or does it have the same sort of level limits as Holmes D&D?

Is there a Monsters & Perils campaign setting? And, if so, does it dovetail with the setting that Professor Holmes created or is it radically different?

Are there a lot of MnP adventures out there? Can they easily be used with Holmes rules instead of MnP?
Mazes & Perils is based on the Holmes Basic set, but goes beyond the 3 levels in the product. Just like Holmes pointed at AD&D for further adventure, Mazes & Perils incorporates rules from 1st Edition AD&D and uses them to expand PC progression beyond level 3 (up to level 12).

There isn't a campaign setting for Mazes & Peril, other than the implied "generic D&D" setting that you'd expect with the standard mix of monsters, spells, etc.

I asked the author how Mazes & Perils differs from Blueholme (a retroclone of Holmes Basic), and his response may provide some insight into how M&P differs from Holmes Basic:
Vincent Florio wrote:M&P was first and actually the creator of BlueHolme was lay out designer for the original M&P which inspired BlueHolme. I believe BlueHolme is closer to an actual clone of Holmes. While Mazes & Perils started as a clone but is now it's own thing with a mix between Holmes and 1e.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “Original D&D”