Fight On! Magazine

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Fight On! Magazine

Post by julius_cleaver » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:10 pm

What's the skinny?

http://www.fightonmagazine.com/

Has anyone here contributed to this magazine? Or know any of the members that created it?

Not sure if "Homebrew Worlds" is where this belongs, but I couldn't really think of a place to put it. If an Admin. thinks this belongs somewhere else. Please move it!
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Merctime (Tim)
Goblin

Re: Fight On! Magazine

Post by Merctime (Tim) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:32 pm

If you are at all interested in excellent gaming material that is created for use of older versions of D&D, these being for example any of the versions as created by TSR, then BUY. THIS. FANZINE.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I AM NOT A CONTRIBUTOR TO THIS MAGAZINE AND HAVE NO FINANCIAL GAIN FROM IT AT ALL. (But, I do know personally one contributor, and have spoken to a few of them at other forums)

The quality of material here, in my opinion, is FANTASTIC. I own all of them.

However, I do caution folks, in a respectful manner: This material is set out with the assumptions that one is open to and enjoys the game as it was played under the aforementioned rules sets, and the 'mentality' behind playing and creating material for them. While I do think that much of the material could be used by any gamer, I do believe that a great deal of mechanical adjustment would be required to successfully use any of the presented material for editions beyond Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition.

I think one of the reasons this magazine is so popular, is the ABSOLUTELY AMAZING mega-dungeon offered in it's pages, created by a great many contributors, "The Darkness Beneath". It's (If I recall correctly) something like 12 or 13 levels deep. Also note that this dungeon is NOT offered in chronological order: Some lower levels are found in latter issues... (It takes one quite a few issues to find dungeon level 2, for instance). This may be bothersome to some who don't care to purchase all the magazines.

Consider this magazine kind of a modern day 'Dragon' for older versions of the game. Inside any issue might be found funny comic pages, short or long essays on the philosophy of play, advice to referees on how to construct wilderness or dungeon encounters, sample levels or adventures or mini-dungeons, new magic items or spells or even (usually small) alternate systems on how to conduct spell use, and such like that... Varying in content, of course, from magazine to magazine.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions regarding these magazines if anyone presents them. Also note that there are often some of the PDF's available freely from time to time, that you might find when looking around the Lulu page, so that you can download and peruse the content safely without making a purchase you later regret.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Fight On! Magazine

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am

Thanks for the heads-up, Tim.

I'm sure there are some "no school" players out there, who would enjoy using this magazine with new school rules.

Feel free to invite your friend who is a writer on Fight On! to come over to The Piazza, if you like. (They can use their forum signature to point to Fight On!, if they like, and we can get Havard to add them to his "Celebrities on The Piazza" list.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Wishing Well”