30 Days of Dark Sun 17: Favorite elemental creature?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

30 Days of Dark Sun 17: Favorite elemental creature?

Postby Big Mac » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:34 pm

It's the Dark Sun 25th Anniversary and The Burnt World of Athas (aka Athas.org) is celbrating with "30 Days of Dark Sun".

Here is what Athas.org is doing for Day 17: 30 Days of Dark Sun 17: What is your favorite elemental themed creature?.

Dark Sun artist, Tom Baxa, liked creating art for Dark Sun's earth elemental creatures, as they could have a lot of fun features added to them. Raddu liked the fact that elemental clerics that were killed while in the element they opposed could become undead. Which monster did you like most?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 17: Favorite elemental creature?

Postby agathokles » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:56 pm

I'd say the Ruvoka.
GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Is there a list of Dark Sun elemental creatures anywhere?

How do Elemental Clerics work?

-Hacard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:31 pm

They are mostly in the two MCAs. There aren't that many: Drakes, (Para-)Elemental Beasts, and Ruvoka, as far as a I remember, plus the undead Krag mentioned by Raddu.

G.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:55 am

I like the Drakes. Mind I do not know of the ones from 2e.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby agathokles » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:57 am

Elemental clerics are very similar to common clerics. They receive spells from the elemental spheres, and have weapon and armor limits based on the chosen element.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:36 am

Havard wrote:Is there a list of Dark Sun elemental creatures anywhere?

Echohawk probably knows the answer to that one. But I've not seen him around lately.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 pm

agathokles wrote:Elemental clerics are very similar to common clerics. They receive spells from the elemental spheres, and have weapon and armor limits based on the chosen element.

BTW, note that since Athas has no gods, there are no standard clerics. Priests are available in three versions:
  • Clerics of Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Rain, Sun, Magma or Silt. Each is a typical AD&D cleric, but spell spheres are changed to map more spells to the Elemental and Paraelemental Spheres, plus a single "Sphere of the Cosmos". Each cleric type has major access to the corresponding sphere, and minor access to the Sphere of Cosmos (major access is gained at level 21, which typically can be reached only by human clerics). Their weapons and armor choices are restricted to those related to the element (so, Earth clerics can only use stone or metal items, Water clerics must use items of biological origin, Fire clerics either tempered metal, or obsidian, or flaming weapons, etc.). They can also turn undead.
  • Druids are connected to a guarded region, and get major access to one elemental sphere (corresponding to the most common element in their guarded area) and the sphere of cosmos, as well as minor access to a second elemental sphere. Thus, druids are more versatile casters, although they are less useful in combat, since they cannot wear armor.
  • Finally, Templars are similar to standard AD&D clerics as well, although they too get power from the Elemental Plane, via the Sorcerer Kings. They can use any type of weapon or armor, and have wide temporal powers within their King's city-state. Their spell progression starts slower (no spells at first level) but overcomes the cleric's and druid's after level 15. Templars can control undead instead of turning them (there are no good Templars, anyway).

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:14 pm

agathokles wrote:(major access is gained at level 21, which typically can be reached only by human clerics).

Is there a reason for this mechanic? Or just 2e favoring the humans because reasons?
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby agathokles » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Humans cannot multiclass. In return, they have no level limits.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Lord Torath » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
agathokles wrote:(major access is gained at level 21, which typically can be reached only by human clerics).

Is there a reason for this mechanic? Or just 2e favoring the humans because reasons?
Just TSR ensuring the most powerful people in the world are human.
Lord Torath
Ogre

Return to Dark Sun