Glantrian Almanac Project AC 1000-1020

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Re: G.A.G. Re: Glantrian Almanac Project AC 1000-1020

Postby Gecko » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:04 am

micky wrote:as far as Carlotina.. here is her at the moment MO

1000-1005 Division head of Carlotina's Division
1005-1010 No official command (see above post). Her son now commands the Glantrian 8th Division (formerly Carlotina's)
1010 - ? Commands the 8th and 15th Divisions in peacetime and also when 4th Corp command is activated she serves as 4th Corp commander commanding her two and Malachies 2 divisions.

I thought she was the deptuy Commander of the corp and Malachie was the Commander, did that get switched around?

Have you looked at my humanoid numbers? Any thoughts on those.

let's see...

500 Trolls
1500 Ogres
1500 Troglodytes
2500 Kobodls
1000 Gnolls
500 Hobgoblins

seems like way too many Troglodytes. What Tribe lands does Kol recruit from? Is it just Kolland & Ogremoor?

Just in case also you wonder... the post Great War Grand Army. 16 divisions. Divisions 1-8 correspond to 1-8 of the Great War and back further to the original 'named' Divisions of Gaz3.

Just in case we get ahead of the game here, say one sees there is no mention of Huledain in the writeup for the 15th Division in the 1014 document. There won't be. They are different units. The document when finished will detail all of this. All those reserve units (9th through 100th Divisions) were demobilized at the end of the war, after which the entire Army command structure redone, 16 regular peacetime divisions were authorized, the structures of the divisions themsleves changed and made more unique than the same prewar generic format had for each division. Then, giving priority to the experienced volunteers, the call went out for a career in the Grand Army of those demobilzed and divisions 9-16 were built and formed according to the structure of the new divisions and their commanding Prince/Princess

So then do divisions 9-16 not have the "lineage" of the Great war Divisions? Or do just those that weren't destroyed and reformed during the war?
Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: G.A.G. Re: Glantrian Almanac Project AC 1000-1020

Postby micky » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Gecko wrote:
micky wrote:as far as Carlotina.. here is her at the moment MO

1000-1005 Division head of Carlotina's Division
1005-1010 No official command (see above post). Her son now commands the Glantrian 8th Division (formerly Carlotina's)
1010 - ? Commands the 8th and 15th Divisions in peacetime and also when 4th Corp command is activated she serves as 4th Corp commander commanding her two and Malachies 2 divisions.

I thought she was the deptuy Commander of the corp and Malachie was the Commander, did that get switched around?

ahhh.. bad Micky. No you have it correct. My mistake. She is still deputy Corp commander.

Have you looked at my humanoid numbers? Any thoughts on those.

let's see...

500 Trolls
1500 Ogres
1500 Troglodytes
2500 Kobodls
1000 Gnolls
500 Hobgoblins

seems like way too many Troglodytes. What Tribe lands does Kol recruit from? Is it just Kolland & Ogremoor?

oh.... we'll come back to that.
:lol:

Just in case also you wonder... the post Great War Grand Army. 16 divisions. Divisions 1-8 correspond to 1-8 of the Great War and back further to the original 'named' Divisions of Gaz3.

Just in case we get ahead of the game here, say one sees there is no mention of Huledain in the writeup for the 15th Division in the 1014 document. There won't be. They are different units. The document when finished will detail all of this. All those reserve units (9th through 100th Divisions) were demobilized at the end of the war, after which the entire Army command structure redone, 16 regular peacetime divisions were authorized, the structures of the divisions themsleves changed and made more unique than the same prewar generic format had for each division. Then, giving priority to the experienced volunteers, the call went out for a career in the Grand Army of those demobilzed and divisions 9-16 were built and formed according to the structure of the new divisions and their commanding Prince/Princess

So then do divisions 9-16 not have the "lineage" of the Great war Divisions? Or do just those that weren't destroyed and reformed during the war?
no lineage.. it would have been way too much trouble for me. Not to mention to arbitrary too sloppy. Was the 14th Division of the Great War better than the 43rd.. the 37th. Take the 15th Division, shattered at Huledain in 1007 and reformed but no where near the other divisions at the end of the war in terms of training effectiveness or whatever. Does that division stay on, while other more effective divisions are dissolved. Rather than capricously and implausibly make only divisions numbered greater than 16 immune to disaster I decided for now to disolve all teh reserve division (9-100) and establish 8 new divisions after the Great War (9-16). That is what I am doing for now.. but that may change. Likely not as these divisions were formed with volunteers and draftees. Most will want to go home after the war, the 8 new division will be formed from those who got a taste of military life and liked it and want to make a career of it.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump
micky
Cloud Giant

Re: Glantrian Almanac Project AC 1000-1020

Postby stanles » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 am

micky wrote:I thought I had posted this before, perhaps I did but might have been buried in another thread.

the intro the History of the Grand Army of Glantri 1004-1009

Oops, you had micky, here [url]http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12638p/url]. Fixing why it wasn't up on the Vaults before for the next update.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com
stanles
Troll

Postby micky » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:41 pm

you are such a doll Shawn.. but you really don't have to upload anything per what we talked about some years back. Anything and everything is still very much a work in progress. Hopefully next year I'll be submitting the whole enchillade... done up Threshold style. PDF and looking hotter than a 3 dollar bill.

Here is what I am looking at and general estimates on what I have left...

The Principalities of Glantri: A campaign supplement to Gaz3 and later Glantri/Mystara products.

Goal:
a)Expanding upon Gaz3
b) Integrating Gaz3, later source material, and fandom works into a plausible and rational setting. Smoothing out the rough edges where they did not connect and fixing the worst excesses of some of the later source material which in some important points failed miserably in their design and execution as well as directly contradicting Gaz3.
c) producing a living breathing campaign setting which has its starting point with Gaz3 and extends for 20 years of gaming fun for players and DM’s.

Proposed Table of Contents:
a) Early History of Glantri: prehistory to 1000 AC.
Here I am using the fandom works as the primary source material material where written and using my works on the Flaem, Ethengarians, and Averoigians to fill in the gaps left vague by Gaz3 and not covered by fandom. (98% complete - proofing latest addition to the Averoignian histories and working in the CM8 adventure and its backstory to my previously posted Averoignian works)

b) Later History of Glantri 1000 AC to 1014 AC (could change to 1020)
Here is obviously the most involved and controversial of sections. I’ve made no secret of my distaste.. huh… DISGUST for some/much of the later source material. I will have a prologue (or conclusion) section explaining what I changed and why and how I changed it. The WotI takes up much of this section obviously and here we detail the build up to the war, the war itself, Thar’s invasion, the changes in nobility and Kol. If this continues to 1020 it will cover the Ethengarian invasion (respectably to the authors of that…very differently presented from what the almanac did.. same result.. much more realistic and plausible in combat/military terms and common sense NPC actions.) This section would of course end with the culmination of the Synn plot-line and widespread general knowledge of the Radiance and its power as introduced in the 1019 almanac. (50% written this is the most lengthy and time consuming aspect of the Supplement to be finished with a high degree of detail to WotI events. Fully expect to take the rest of the year fully writing up)

c) The Grand Army of Glantri
A section detailing the Grand Army of the time period we are covering here. Starting with the Gaz3 pre-Great War Army to it’s various incarnations in the years and wars that followed. (100% complete pending the feedback of a few like Greg that have taken interest in this and have guided and improved the work mightily over the years)

d) Politics in Glantri
Expanding on Gaz3 which covered the Council of Princes fairly well.. but little else. Introducing the House of Lords and how it operates, both alone and in conjunction with the Council of Princes. Also Introducing the notions of Free Provinces and the vast Glantrian Bureaucracy. Including a modified and expanded work from Aleksei Andrievski wonderful work http://www.pandius.com/glannobl.html) in which he covers and details (with sane and plausible NPC reasons actions) the political changes in Glantri over the time period that G:KoM :lol: completely whiffed on. (20% written but likely could have written in days as much of the information is spread across other works and just needs to be consolidated into this section).

e) The Nobles Houses, the lands, the nobles
By far the largest and longest section. Introducing all the Principalities of Glantri in detailed write-ups along with all their 1014(1020) aligned lesser dominions in detailed write-ups. Each dominion has a GPD style writeup of their noble. Some taken from the previous work of the GPD, some modified (Gerrid Rientha and that whole shit sandwich hahah), and many taken from my work posted on the Piazza over the years. Included are the 1mi scale maps that Robin and I have been working on (write-ups over 90% done, maps will likely be worked on till the very end as Robin and I have very different working premises/styles and I’ll be taking the best of both of works where they have overrun - mainly southern Glantri)

f) Glantri City
Centerpiece to this is a expaned map of Metro Glantri City. The suburbs northwest and northeast of the walled secion on all maps. Also will be adding detailed locations both to the newly maps sections as well as adding new ones from what Gaz3 gave us. (map incomplete.. I started it many years ago, likely will be the last thing I work on. New locations complete as I’m lifting them straight from my campaign in which I’ve filled out Glantri City as a setting)

g) The Great School of Magic
Expanding on the personalities,structure and structure of the Great School as it purtains to PC’s and as a campaign setting….as well as the Seven Secret Crafts (presently working on.. figure to have first draft done soon)

h) The Glantrian Almanac 1000 AC - 1020 AC
in some cases a mere summary of earlier works (ex: WotI) but later it takes the Almanac teams work and perverts it to the campaign setting. Some things are changed, some are moved. (about 75% complete.. minus the Ethengarian 1015 rewrite and of course 1020 which I’ll keep close tabs on depending on how or if the Almanac team proceeds with work on a 1020 edition)
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby stanles » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 pm

micky wrote:you are such a doll Shawn.. but you really don't have to upload anything per what we talked about some years back. Anything and everything is still very much a work in progress. Hopefully next year I'll be submitting the whole enchillade... done up Threshold style. PDF and looking hotter than a 3 dollar bill.

oops, I already have a couple of files ready to go. I do recall the conversation, and most importantly I'm glad to hear that that still stands. It's a lot of work. I'll stop putting anything else up.

micky wrote:Here is what I am looking at and general estimates on what I have left...

that is quite a lot
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com
stanles
Troll

Postby micky » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 pm

stanles wrote:
micky wrote:you are such a doll Shawn.. but you really don't have to upload anything per what we talked about some years back. Anything and everything is still very much a work in progress. Hopefully next year I'll be submitting the whole enchillade... done up Threshold style. PDF and looking hotter than a 3 dollar bill.

oops, I already have a couple of files ready to go. I do recall the conversation, and most importantly I'm glad to hear that that still stands. It's a lot of work. I'll stop putting anything else up.

cool in fact as time goes I'll probably ask if you can remove some of my stuff (not until I ask you of course as they are easy referenes on your site as opposed to the scores of threads I've created here haha) you have already posted. All works in progress, some written this year, some 8 years ago. Part of the substantial proofing involving with this, which I've already started is standardizing everything. Especially with the dominion writeups.. I've picked one noble house a month to finish completely. This month was Linden, much of which you've already posted, all of them have now changed. Some for standardizing the format to the latest (Noevelle Averoigne), others working in new details in which later works fleshed out.

stanles wrote:
micky wrote:Here is what I am looking at and general estimates on what I have left...

that is quite a lot

hah... you aren't kidding me man. This has been 8 or so years in the making. It started out as stream of consciousness kind of posting/project but over time took shape in my mind as far as an overall work. As such much of this is already written, it has been 8 years in the making, I noted above the longest aspects will be getting the earlier written material up to current standards. JUST the section of nobles, and their dominions will easily be several thousand PDF pages. This is a massive project and I have the years and years invested in it to show for it. I'm counting on some offers of tech support for presentation since I'm an idiot when it comes to things like that. If not... then we go with a budget amateur presentation short on ascetic visual frills but still loaded with beaucoup hard detail. Much of my earlier works were very rough in terms of basic things like spelling and grammar, thankfully I have the best proofer one can have, my dear wife. A published writer herself and fantasy freak herself to help look everything over.

As far as overall input. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed in the overall feedback from the forum. Understandable, it is a dead campaign world afterall, but still a bit disappointing. Early on, yeah. got lots of it. As time has gone on it dried up to a mere handful. It stinks but what can you do about it. For my part I've decided to pretty much stopped posting stuff here since it seems I'm posting to dead air. All the time invested in the d'Ambrevilles and not a single bit of feedback. As far as the finished work, this project has always been a purely personal project driven out of my interest in the setting. If there is but one person who finds it of interest I'll be satisfied and make the years spent on it worthwhile for the vain side of me. If not.. oh well. Let's face it... Mystara is a creatively dead setting outside of fandom obviously. How many really use this stuff that gets posted? Who knows. I know I do and do for my long running campaign, and suspect other do their fandom works today out of nostaligia, love and passon for the setting. However even if no one finds it of interest.. it will have served its purpose as a fun creative outlet that has provided 100's, 1000's of hours of fun and creativity and was something that kept me from hanging out at the bars and drinking my life away as I await the last few years until I can retire. :lol:
micky
Cloud Giant

Postby Sturm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 am

micky wrote:As far as overall input. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed in the overall feedback from the forum. Understandable, it is a dead campaign world afterall, but still a bit disappointing. Early on, yeah. got lots of it. As time has gone on it dried up to a mere handful. It stinks but what can you do about it. For my part I've decided to pretty much stopped posting stuff here since it seems I'm posting to dead air. All the time invested in the d'Ambrevilles and not a single bit of feedback. As far as the finished work, this project has always been a purely personal project driven out of my interest in the setting. If there is but one person who finds it of interest I'll be satisfied and make the years spent on it worthwhile for the vain side of me. If not.. oh well. Let's face it... Mystara is a creatively dead setting outside of fandom obviously. How many really use this stuff that gets posted? Who knows. I know I do and do for my long running campaign, and suspect other do their fandom works today out of nostaligia, love and passon for the setting. However even if no one finds it of interest.. it will have served its purpose as a fun creative outlet that has provided 100's, 1000's of hours of fun and creativity and was something that kept me from hanging out at the bars and drinking my life away as I await the last few years until I can retire. :lol:

Consider that often feedback from the forum also depends on what other people are doing at the moment. For example, I've played in Glantri in the past and I hope I will again in the future. Then I will probably use a lot of your Glantrian material, even if just now I'm not much commenting it because I'm busy with other projects and things.
Still I appreciate much it exists (I have also linked it in my article about the wilderlands of Glantri and other nations that will be featured in Threshold issue #15) and I hope you will send it to Shawn for the Vaults and maybe do a Glantri special for Threshold eventually!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby micky » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24 am

Yeah... it was sort of what I was getting at. I admire you all at Threshold have done as well as you have. It does seem the most active of those still into this setting.. well... after this many years to still be interested in it.. it seems most are not content to soak it up but to contribute.... to continue developing it in the place of any hope of it being officially picked up.

As I've said .. I really regret being a lurker back in the MML days... I would have loved to have worked with all those who did the first generation Glantrian expansions.

I mean seriously man... my post was a bit piss and moan but it is fully understandable. If you are really into this setting you aren't lurking, enough to roll up your sleeves and start nickpicking (though WE WANT you to.. it makes for better works) others work...you are already working on it. And usually on your own projects haha There isn't much time for others stuff when your own takes so much of what free time you do have to devote to this. I've spent a lot of my 'vacation' time from this site.. and the Glantrian project ..indulging my other great hobby passion, board game design, and what goes for there applies just as much here. Nothing is more precious.. or more appreciated than proofers and playtesters.

In fact first thing I do after I finish this Glantrian project, or 2nd thing after I finish a well earned lost weekend full of booze, broads and blow topped off by spending a night in the county Hilton after tossing a frat boy through a bar window... is go back and check out ALL the issues of Threshold I've missed.
micky
Cloud Giant

Previous

Return to Mystara