5e Dark Sun House Rules

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

5e Dark Sun House Rules

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:11 am

If you're considering running a Dark Sun campaign using 5e, these house rules seem like a reasonable approach.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: 5e Dark Sun House Rules

Postby zontoxira » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:07 pm

I find no armor to be an interesting house rule. No rest and no easy magic are obvious choices, even though I'd use the variant with the Hit Dice. As for no food and drink, I'd keep the streamlined rules from PHB 5e. My only thing is, defiling is made to look like wild magic; while quite simplified, it feels too random.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:37 am

zontoxira wrote:My only thing is, defiling is made to look like wild magic; while quite simplified, it feels too random.

It's different, but it would be interesting to run with it. The only one that I find a bit suspect is the "2 - Destruction - people around the spellcaster suffer necrotic damage equal to spell level." result. That's more like the super-defiling that the Dragon Kings use than regular defiling.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:52 am

Part 2 of the post is now available. Check out the remaining five house rules to run Dark Sun in D&D 5e.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby zontoxira » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Quick notes:
no gods, no healing makes for a quite brutal and gritty setting; how could this be implemented without breaking the game?
I have already mentioned my opinions on no class, no races, and no metal. In short: I believe the races/classes should be restricted to what the Original (or the Revised) allowed for characters. As for metal, breakage rules is the simplest way to go, though I've provided a mechanic based on the attack roll instead.
no psionics? gives a valid point. Without official rules for psionics, we can only speculate on psionicists/psions/mystics/younameit.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Return to Dark Sun