Is Richard Knaak's Rex Draconis Setting a clone of Krynn?

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Is Richard Knaak's Rex Draconis Setting a clone of Krynn?

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Dragonlance author Richard Knaak is releasing a new novel called "Under the Dragon Moon" later this year:

"Under the Dragon Moon"

Coming October/November 2017

A world of minotaurs, knights, wizards, dwarves, elves, dragons, and more. A world familiar, yet a world new. A world where gods intrude at their whim. A world created by the author of The Legend of Huma, Kaz the Minotaur and more with the cooperation and assistance of the fans of Krynn.

And a world where a great leviathan is said to watch over gods and the younger races, preparing to judge each as it sees fit.

As is its right.

Rex Draconis

When the minotaur captain Rath and his fellow survivors manage to escape the piratical wheyr after stumbling across them on an island, they and others discover too late that something ancient came with.

Now, with humans and minotaurs on the brink of war, an uneasy alliance of characters must uncover the truth about an ancient war once again stirring, a war between two manipulative races using all others as their pawns...

A world of interfering gods, powerful dragons, brave heroes, and foul villains reminiscent of a realm called Krynn. A world created and written by Richard A. Knaak, the NY TIMES and USA TODAY Bestselling author of THE LEGEND OF HUMA, KAZ THE MINOTAUR, THE MINOTAUR WARS, THE DRAGONREALM, and much more!

REX DRACONIS

This world sounds a lot like Dragonlance. Is this secretly a Dragonlance novel? Could we see an RPG based on Rex Draconis? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Is Richard Knaak's Rex Draconis Setting a clone of Krynn

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Havard wrote:This world sounds a lot like Dragonlance. Is this secretly a Dragonlance novel? Could we see an RPG based on Rex Draconis? :)
I would be greatly interested in an RPG world inspired by Krynn. I am not fan of the Krynn setting, because I feel that the setting adapts the written works into railroading PCs into ensuring that a certain outcome occurs. If I am wrong about that, I would appreciate it if someone would let me know. A knock-off Krynn could be potentially cool, and as a RPG setting I'd be interested in seeing how the novel cannon is adapted to it, or not.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Havard wrote:This world sounds a lot like Dragonlance. Is this secretly a Dragonlance novel? Could we see an RPG based on Rex Draconis? :)
I would be greatly interested in an RPG world inspired by Krynn.

I'm trying to find the quote, but I am pretty sure I saw Richard Knaak teasing the idea of a Rex Draconis RPG or RPG setting. If someone can find it, please let me know :)

I am not fan of the Krynn setting, because I feel that the setting adapts the written works into railroading PCs into ensuring that a certain outcome occurs. If I am wrong about that, I would appreciate it if someone would let me know.

This is a common misconception, but I think it is wrong. Novels have that problem with any setting, but there is no reason why the events of the novels should get in the way of the campaign. Some people feel the Dragonlance modules were railroady, but from what I have seen only one or two modules are a bit railroady.

In my group we never used the modules or events from the novels. We simply took the setting and the main conflict between the Dragon Armies and the various good forces and made up our own adventures to that backdrop.

Since we loved the novels, we tried to be respectful to things from the books, but if I was to run Krynn again I would disregard them completely and let the PCs take full center stage.

A knock-off Krynn could be potentially cool, and as a RPG setting I'd be interested in seeing how the novel cannon is adapted to it, or not.

:)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dragon Turtle » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Discussion of Railroady elements in DL modules split to a separate topic here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18859

-Dragon Turtle
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm

So the novel is out, but so far only available in digital format. Has anyone bought it? Read it? If you read the whole thing what are your thoughts on it (no spoilers please)?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to Dragonlance