Maztican Sea Magic

Mezo-American adventures in Maztica, the True World.
The Book-House: Find Maztica products.
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Maztican Sea Magic

Post by Seethyr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:05 pm

Pluma (feather) and Hishna (fang, claw, talon) are the two types of magic currently utilized in Maztica.

If a third was developed that was entirely sea/ocean based and only newly discovered, what would it be like?

So far my thoughts are the following:

1. It could be developed by the sister goddesses Nula, Watil and Eha with input from their brother Azul.

2. It neither favors good nor evil, pluma or Hishna. It has its own fetishes which include scales, teeth, pearls, kelp, shells and coral.

3. It might use inspiration from the Dukars of Seros (for spells especially).

4. It is used by sahuagin of the kingdom of Itzcalli, coastal villagers, islanders, and many other aquatic races though it is still a relatively new magic.

The core of the idea is there, but what would a good name be? I wonder what the etymology of "pluma" and "Hishna" is in the first place? What else could Maztican sea magic include? What supplements might be raided that use similar ideas?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

The Dark
Troll

Re: Maztican Sea Magic

Post by The Dark » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Pluma is, I believe, Spanish for feather. Hishna I have no idea what the etymology would be.

Because I have some fondness for studying ancient American history, I've been using ihhuitl (feather) for pluma and pahtli for hishna (pahtli means both medicine and poison, adding some nice uncertainty). Aquatic magic could be michin (fish), atl (water), atli (to drink), or teoatl (literally spirit water, used as a word for salt water).

Places to raid: PC3 The Sea People, Dragon #222 (Secrets of the Sunless Seas), Dragon #165 (Undersea Priests), Dragon #235 (Mage on Deck!, Arcane Lore: Sea Spells), Dragon #220 (Arcane Lore: Sea Magic), Dragon #334 (Livre d'Aquatha), the various Spell Compendiums, Of Ships and the Sea.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:45 pm

Seethyr wrote:The core of the idea is there, but what would a good name be? I wonder what the etymology of "pluma" and "Hishna" is in the first place? What else could Maztican sea magic include? What supplements might be raided that use similar ideas?
I had a look on Wikipedia and found something called the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System (aka Great Mayan Reef or Great Maya Reef). Perhaps if you look at that for inspiration, and see what sort of creatures that aquatic Mezoamerican races would be living alongside, it might give you clues about a new type of magic that takes the place of Pluma or Hisna. Here is what the Biodiversity section says about local critters:
Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System article at Wikipedia wrote:The reef system is home to more than 65 species of stony coral, 350 species of mollusk and more than 500 species of fish. There are numerous species that live in or around the reef system that are endangered or under some degree of protection, including the following: sea turtles (green sea turtle, loggerhead sea turtle, leatherback turtle, and the hawksbill turtle), the queen conch, the West Indian manatee, the splendid toadfish, the American crocodile, the Morelet's Crocodile, the Nassau grouper, elkhorn coral, and black coral.

The reef system is currently in the early stages of its greatest challenge to date....the invasion by the red lionfish (Pterois volitans and Pterois miles), which is native to the Indo-Pacific region.
There are a lot of turtles and crocodiles there! :o
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:57 am

The Dark wrote:Pluma is, I believe, Spanish for feather. Hishna I have no idea what the etymology would be.
I tried researching hishna and there seems to be nothing related...
The Dark wrote: Because I have some fondness for studying ancient American history, I've been using ihhuitl (feather) for pluma and pahtli for hishna (pahtli means both medicine and poison, adding some nice uncertainty). Aquatic magic could be michin (fish), atl (water), atli (to drink), or teoatl (literally spirit water, used as a word for salt water).
Very very nice! I look up Nahuatl every time I need a good name and I came across "atl," but not the others. I think your versions of pluma and hishna would make great regional names. Perhaps in the western nations that weren't explored in the novels (Kolan and Huacli), those are actually the names the they go by.
The Dark wrote: Places to raid: PC3 The Sea People, Dragon #222 (Secrets of the Sunless Seas), Dragon #165 (Undersea Priests), Dragon #235 (Mage on Deck!, Arcane Lore: Sea Spells), Dragon #220 (Arcane Lore: Sea Magic), Dragon #334 (Livre d'Aquatha), the various Spell Compendiums, Of Ships and the Sea.
[/quote] Thank you! I think with all of this material, the adventure I am working on really could become a full blown supplement which includes "Teoatl" magic. Do you mind me using these (with credit given of course)?

Big Mac wrote:
Seethyr wrote:The core of the idea is there, but what would a good name be? I wonder what the etymology of "pluma" and "Hishna" is in the first place? What else could Maztican sea magic include? What supplements might be raided that use similar ideas?
I had a look on Wikipedia and found something called the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System (aka Great Mayan Reef or Great Maya Reef). Perhaps if you look at that for inspiration, and see what sort of creatures that aquatic Mezoamerican races would be living alongside, it might give you clues about a new type of magic that takes the place of Pluma or Hisna. Here is what the Biodiversity section says about local critters:
Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System article at Wikipedia wrote:The reef system is home to more than 65 species of stony coral, 350 species of mollusk and more than 500 species of fish. There are numerous species that live in or around the reef system that are endangered or under some degree of protection, including the following: sea turtles (green sea turtle, loggerhead sea turtle, leatherback turtle, and the hawksbill turtle), the queen conch, the West Indian manatee, the splendid toadfish, the American crocodile, the Morelet's Crocodile, the Nassau grouper, elkhorn coral, and black coral.

The reef system is currently in the early stages of its greatest challenge to date....the invasion by the red lionfish (Pterois volitans and Pterois miles), which is native to the Indo-Pacific region.
And here are the monsters! Lion fish, to me, look like real life monsters already...my brother used to have one in his tank and it was a nasty bugger. The whole tentacle thing could certainly have use with a fantastical alteration.

I've started with a few beasts already, including a shark that swims through sand (will be a product of the new type of magic), and the Lusca which is actually from Bahamian myth. If you've seen the Syfy movie, "sharktopus" you'll recognize it.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:18 am

Seethyr wrote:
The Dark wrote:Places to raid: PC3 The Sea People, Dragon #222 (Secrets of the Sunless Seas), Dragon #165 (Undersea Priests), Dragon #235 (Mage on Deck!, Arcane Lore: Sea Spells), Dragon #220 (Arcane Lore: Sea Magic), Dragon #334 (Livre d'Aquatha), the various Spell Compendiums, Of Ships and the Sea.
Thank you! I think with all of this material, the adventure I am working on really could become a full blown supplement which includes "Teoatl" magic. Do you mind me using these (with credit given of course)?
Please do! I had been looking this up for a project of my own (unrelated to Maztica), and there's no sense in making you re-do a search I already did.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:12 am

Since the “Sea Demon’s Pearl” adventure is back in the queue for completion, Maztican Sea Magic will get it’s second life as well as an appendix to the adventure.

I’ve am keeping the name teoatl as the mirror to the names pluma and hishna. Like pluma and hishna, the magic will be neither inherently good nor evil, and it will be a gift to mankind from the goddesses Nula, Eha and Watil in addition to some input from Azul. There will be rumors about how it was a magic stolen form an ancient race of the sea, but I’ll get more into that in the supplement.

In the Maztican campaign guide pluma magic is related to plumaweavers (artisans), plumacasters (wizards) and eagle knights (rangers). Hishna is related to hishnashapers (artisans), hishnacasters (wizards) and Jaguar Knights.

Respectively, that could lead to the new paths the teoatltamer, the teoatlcaster and the shark knight.

I’ll post more about this as I get to it. The adventure itself is almost finished!

Jürgen Hubert
Gnoll

Post by Jürgen Hubert » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:26 pm

Pluma and hishna are based on art and craftsmanship. Is this also true for sea magic, and if so what kinds of art?
Returned Maztica - a new vision for Maztica in the 5th Edition era of the Forgotten Realms! Learn how the continent has changed after invasions and dragonfire, and take part as the people of Maztica finally take their destinies into their own hands!

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Jürgen Hubert wrote:Pluma and hishna are based on art and craftsmanship. Is this also true for sea magic, and if so what kinds of art?
I'm thinking art that includes shells, kelp and seaweed, scales, phosphorescence - pretty much anything sea related. The crafters - much like hishnashapers and plumaweavers, continue work their craft even while adventuring.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:12 pm

First Teoatl spells...

SURF
4th-level transmutation (ritual)

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (wooden boards)
Duration: 1 hour

This spell grants up to ten willing creatures that you can see within the range of this spell the benefits received by a water walk spell (PHB page 287) but only in a fresh or salt water medium. In addition, if you stand upon the roughly elliptical wooden boards that constitute the material components of the spell (one per creature affected), a small wave will allow the creature to travel at speeds up to 60. If the rider is damaged or attempts to make an attack while surfing, he must make a DC10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to remain on the board. Those who fail fall into the water and end the spell, though they may be successful in their attack.

TIDAL WAVE
7th-level evocation

Range: 300 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You send a shockwave into a body of water that can be no shallower than 20 feet deep at the spell’s point of origin. This shockwave triggers a gigantic wave that travels in the shape of a cone and does 6d6 (21) damage to all creatures in its range and 11d10 (60) damage to those at the point of the spells conclusion (which can be determined by the caster within the spell’s maximum range). The spell damages objects normally.

URCHIN
Conjuration Cantrip

Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 10 minutes

You conjure the spines of a poisonous sea urchin that pop up from beneath the feet of a creature you choose within range. The creature must make a Dexterity saving throw or suffer 1d4 (2) piercing damage and 1d4 (2) poison damage from the spines.
The urchins spines will remain for ten minutes unless dismissed and any creature walking on that square in that time will be subject to the spell’s effects. Casters often like to use this spell multiple times to set up temporary impromptu traps.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:47 pm

Aaaaaaand it's up on Dmsguild.

TWR1 The Sea Demon's Pearl

:D