Tell me about the Egg of Coot

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Tell me about the Egg of Coot

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:55 am

About all I know of it is the name. Is it a literal egg? A cult? A place? What does it do?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Tell me about the Egg of Coot

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:49 am

It's a being, some sort of Elder Evil. For what I understand, its some sort of personality or ego, that feeds off the egos of others to sustain his own. Canonically, we don't have a definite form for him. The canon info is that he was once humanoid (millennia ago), but we don't know his current form, only that is too horrible for mortal minds to remain sane after seeing him. I imagine him as some sort of Lovecraftian egg of horror.

He seems to be highly intelligent, yet childish and arrogant, to his own detriment.

Havard compiled info about him here.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:58 am

Note that the speculation that the "EGG" of Coot was named after E. Gary Gygax (E.G.G.) has been denied by both Gygax and Arneson. This thread has more on the actual real-life inspiration.
aldarron wrote:The Egg of Coot was a player in Dave Arneson's 1969-70 Napoleonics campaign named grEGG sCOTt. Mr. Scott was not happy when Arneson switched from napoleonics to medieval fantasy "Blackmoor" games and said some less than kind things about it. According to Jeff Berry, he also played a nasty "joke" on Arneson that cost him time and money. Thus he was immortalized as the evil Egg of Coot. Note that this all took place before Gary Gygax even heard of fantasy role playing(fall '72). Nope, gygax is not coot.

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:42 am

I agree with ripvanwormer.

I received a book for Christmas entitled "Of Dice and Men" by David M. Ewalt and he writes of "One local Napoleonic-miniatures fan [that] campaigned loudly against Blackmoor after watching his gaming buddies abandon traditional war games in favor of new-fangled dungeon crawls; he insulted the game and its players, and even played a nasty practical joke on Arneson".

The EGG of Coot is not Gary Gygax. That book was an absolutely fantastic read by the way. I highly recommend it. It was hard to put down and contained a lot of gaming history in it.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:48 am

So in 3.5e D&D terms, the Elder Evils book would be the best resource to help describe the egg in game mechanics?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:57 am

Ashtagon wrote:So in 3.5e D&D terms, the Elder Evils book would be the best resource to help describe the egg in game mechanics?
There are 3rd Edition Blackmoor books out there. (I've not added them to the Book-House yet.) One of them might have game mechanics.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:14 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Note that the speculation that the "EGG" of Coot was named after E. Gary Gygax (E.G.G.) has been denied by both Gygax and Arneson. This thread has more on the actual real-life inspiration.
aldarron wrote:The Egg of Coot was a player in Dave Arneson's 1969-70 Napoleonics campaign named grEGG sCOTt. Mr. Scott was not happy when Arneson switched from napoleonics to medieval fantasy "Blackmoor" games and said some less than kind things about it. According to Jeff Berry, he also played a nasty "joke" on Arneson that cost him time and money. Thus he was immortalized as the evil Egg of Coot. Note that this all took place before Gary Gygax even heard of fantasy role playing(fall '72). Nope, gygax is not coot.
Huh. I had heard that the Egg of Coot was not related to Gary, but I had never heard who it was really in reference to. I kinda wonder what "prank" he played on Arneson that cost him time and money. This Scott sounds like a pleasant fellow... :P
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:51 pm

Ashtagon wrote:So in 3.5e D&D terms, the Elder Evils book would be the best resource to help describe the egg in game mechanics?
It might be a good general model; I'd probably give it the elder evil traits listed on page 6 of that book and perhaps some of the vile feats and malefic properties detailed there, but most of the elder evils are apocalyptic in nature and I'm not sure I'd structure a campaign featuring the Egg of Coot as one in which the Egg's goal is to bring about an actual apocalypse. Dave Arneson's Blackmoor claims the Egg's ultimate goal is to "find and ingest all magic in the North" which would be apocalyptic enough if it started to noticeably do it, but its standard MO of sending its thralls out to find spellcasters and magic items to bring back to their master makes this seem to be a very slow process.

Thralls of Coot are detailed in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor; this is a template that makes creatures tougher and immune to certain effects. The Egg of Coot itself isn't statted there.

If I were detailing the Egg, I'd use Chaositech from Malhavoc Press to represent its technology, and treat the Egg as a chaositechnician whose millennia of use of forbidden sciences had left it unrecognizably mutated and unable to survive without its countless augmentations and symbiotes.

The servitor of the outer gods from d20 Call of Cthulhu might be a good base creature, minus the fluting power.

Fred Weining's description of the Egg of Coot in the Oerth Journal #5 is very well done.
Oerth Journal #5 wrote:Rising from the northern fens is a strange, dome-shaped edifice, whose ancient, verdigrised surface is formed of some unknown metal. It has but one visible entrance, a round gate on its eastern side. Through this gate pass an odd assortment of creatures serving a reclusive and unnatural master: the Egg of Coot. Most of these beings are either summoned creatures, or those he has bred or invented, such as his various strains of diseased gibberlings, several varieties of homunculi, and most recently the chaos race of Qullan. Few other than the Egg's servants have visited his palace-city beneath the great shell and lived to tell of it. Rumors bespeak an unsettling combination of mechanical and organic construction centered around the glowing Coot-idol through which the Egg issues his proclamations.

Regardless, he has always been the enemy of Blackmoor's rulers, seeking to dominate their lands and subjects. Yet it seems he has no actual desire to rule as a sovereign, but prefers to use lands and peoples as his playthings. For the Egg has but one great passion, and that is gaming. He is fascinated by the pursuit of ephemeral victories, and in the development of arcane rules and rituals. The Egg has long made a practice of drawing unwitting "players" into his games, whether from nearby or from the far corners of the Oerth — or even from other worlds and times.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:22 pm

By the way, the Egg of the Coot has a couple of canon aliases: Ogg of Ot and Orrg er Druag, so it doesn't sound like the "Egg" bit was particularly important as a reference to that organic object used for reproduction, but it seems more like a name that by chance sounds like that thingy. His appearence as a giant thickly hided egg is only one of many theories.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:53 pm

Interesting thread. When my Blackmoor campaign resumes in the fall the player will make a trek to the Egg of Coot Island.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Thinking about it, the Egg of Coot may be related with Arik of the Hundred Eyes from Mystara setting.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:50 pm

In a certain play by post, I've got the Egg of Coot penciled in as a lesser-variety Burrower.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:53 pm

RobJN wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:50 pm
In a certain play by post, I've got the Egg of Coot penciled in as a lesser-variety Burrower.
Spoilers! :o

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”