[novel] The Nobles 3: Escape from Undermountain

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[novel] The Nobles 3: Escape from Undermountain

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:59 am

I just went looking for Undermountain products to add to my list of Undermountain resources and saw a novel on Amazon, called Escape from Undermountain: Forgotten Realms (The Nobles)
Escape From Undermountain on Amazon wrote:Escape From Undermountain: Forgotten Realms (The Nobles, No. 3) Mass Market Paperback – February 27, 1996
by Mark Anthony (Author)

To rescue a missing noble, Artek the Knife must venture deep into the Undermountain, a vast and lethal labyrinth created by a crazed wizard, a place that is not only difficult and dangerous to access but nearly impossible to escape. Original. 75,000 first printing.
Has anyone read this? What do you think of it? Without giving away too many spoilers (unless you put them in HIDE tags) do you think the novel gives a good feel of what Undermountain is like?

Forgotten Realms Wiki says that The Nobles is a set of unconnected novels, but they don't have an article for Artek the Knife, Beckla or the nobleman they went into Undermountain to try to rescue (yet). Does anyone know if any of these characters show up in earlier or later Forgotten Realms novels?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: [novel] The Nobles 3: Escape from Undermountain

Post by Sturm » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:43 am

I read it, but so many years ago I hardly can describe the plot and recollect details. However I remember the characters were interesting and the setting well described, but the plot a little thin and quite simple. I think it may be useful to give a feel of Undermountain anyway..

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 pm

I am with Sturm here. I read it so long ago, and unless a book from that era truly stood out, they were eminently forgettable.
-Apotheot

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks Sturm and Apotheot.

At least you don't remember the book being bad. :)

I've stuck it on my Forgotten Realms wishlist. It's over £12.00 at the moment, which I'm not prepared to pay, but I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy to pounce on.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:58 pm

I recently read it via Audible. https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fanta ... EP0N03VYB&

It's an okay read, pretty much straight pulp sword and sorcery. It doesn't have a great FR feel, IMo, but it does get the insanity and confusion of Undermountain down. I am not a huge fan of megadungeons so... <shrug> The blurb is pretty true to what the book is.

One thing that always bothers me with TSR books, is that it's always solo adventurers with one or two companions - nearly never is the tale told of a proper adventuring party. This is just like that, a solo adventurer who acquires a handful of allies along the way - very different from the sort of large party most GMs send into Undermountain.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”