Google+ does not like The Piazza

Discussion related to board management, suggestions for improvement, and formal announcements.

Google+ does not like The Piazza

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 am

We are not sure why, but Google+ has decided that it does not like The Piazza posting about The Piazza in the Google+ community set up for fans of The Piazza.

They have disabled the brand account and removed all of the posts made by it, as well as all the replies by people interested in The Piazza.

They have not offered any sort of appeal option, so we are not sure that we can recover the account, or the various conversations over there.

If you want to stay in touch with The Piazza via social media, we still have the Facebook page for The Piazza, the Facebook group for The Piazza and the Twitter account for The Piazza:

You can also use RSS feeds provided on the forums, to follow what is going on.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Google+ does not like The Piazza

Postby shesheyan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm

If the only activity of the G+ was to fish for new members for The Piazza forum by posting daily links to forum topics - like you do on FB - I'm not surprised.

At the opposite side of the spectrum, I used to be part of a G+ Book Club about how GMs could use ideas from novels into their RPG campaigns. The group reads one book per month, they discuss the novel and which ideas they would use in RPG campaigns. The G+ team contacted the owner of the group because they thought what we did was very interesting. The owner had to answer a survey. They asked what modifications they could do the help them build a better interface for G+ communities.
Last edited by shesheyan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shesheyan
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:41 pm

I could never get anything out of G+ anyway.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ghendar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:02 pm

My gut reaction to this is to say, "(f-word) Google+". We don't need you.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Stone Giant

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:33 pm

I seldom use G+, so whatever. They miss the privilege of having us there, anyways :P
Last edited by Zeromaru X on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:43 pm

ghendar wrote:My gut reaction to this is to say, "(f-word) Google+". We don't need you.

I have never been too excited about Google+. I had a friend nagging me to sign up there because it was "better than Facebook" but I was only able to find 105 Spelljammer fans on Google+ (vs 375 that I found on Facebook).

However, there was a request made for The Piazza to set up on Google+ and 326 people did sign up to the community. There were some discussions there (about things posted here) and some people over there posted information that helped people back on the forums.

So while I wouldn''t personally miss Google+ I am grateful to all the people who spent time trying to help other D&D fans. And I'm disappointed that Google+ zapped all of their conversations.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Well, maybe this can be related. I cannot link my post of gods and primordials of the Nentir Vale in an entry article of the https://dnd-wiki.org, because it considers the Piazza an spam-site.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Ashtagon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Well, maybe this can be related. I cannot link my post of gods and primordials of the Nentir Vale in an entry article of the https://dnd-wiki.org, because it considers the Piazza an spam-site.

Does that site have a contact point? I might try to speak with their admins to see if anything can be done.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:01 pm

They have an IRC chat.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby ghendar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 am

Big Mac wrote:
So while I wouldn''t personally miss Google+ I am grateful to all the people who spent time trying to help other D&D fans. And I'm disappointed that Google+ zapped all of their conversations.

That is unfortunate for the people who contributed. Do you know if any of them migrated here, or were here already?
As an aside, I'll never understand why people choose FB or Google+ over traditional message boards. But then again I'm old. Message boards are so much better for discussions and info archiving.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Stone Giant

Postby Zeromaru X » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 am

For connectivity. You do a lot of stuff, unrelated one to another, in social media, unlike message boards, that are more "specialized". But, I also prefer message boards because of that very reason.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am

ghendar wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

That is unfortunate for the people who contributed. Do you know if any of them migrated here, or were here already?
As an aside, I'll never understand why people choose FB or Google+ over traditional message boards. But then again I'm old. Message boards are so much better for discussions and info archiving.

The community itself is still there. They just zapped 98 percent of the posts. (And where where people have replied to Piazza posts, they zapped the replies along with the posts.)

I've actually had a couple of Google+ members give me leads, but I don't have time to investigate them immediately.

Appareanlty, there are other D&D communites on Google+ that have had problems. So I'm not sure if The Piazza got flagged for "spam" or if they thought that terms like "attack roll" were some sort of threat of violence. (I do think this is an automated system.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Ashtagon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Well, maybe this can be related. I cannot link my post of gods and primordials of the Nentir Vale in an entry article of the https://dnd-wiki.org, because it considers the Piazza an spam-site.

I just gor the following response from the nice folks at dnd-wiki.org :

You weren't specifically being blocked, but were caught in our default anti-apam filter. You should be good to go now, if you need to linkback to the forum.

Feel free to let you users know about us, we do try to keep things under control and keep the homebrew in a balanced and fair zone of rules.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Havard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Ashtagon wrote:

You weren't specifically being blocked, but were caught in our default anti-apam filter. You should be good to go now, if you need to linkback to the forum.

Feel free to let you users know about us, we do try to keep things under control and keep the homebrew in a balanced and fair zone of rules.

Nice work Ash! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Havard wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:

Nice work Ash! :)

-Havard

Thanks Ashtagon.

It looks like this is unrelated to the Google+ thing. I'm going to try to find some time to work on investigating Google+ at the weekend. (When I'm not doing real-life™ stuff or playing in AuldDragon's Spelljammer game.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to The Kippin' Griffin