N4 Treasure Hunt in Forgotten Realms

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

N4 Treasure Hunt in Forgotten Realms

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:15 pm

We have a couple of topic's about N4 Treasure Hunt, but I want to talk about how it was retconned into Forgotten Realms and how to support that retcon.

Here are the other topics for anyone interested: So, setting those aside, I'm looking at the retcon (which I think was made in a later N-Series product...or maybe something else).

I know that a lot of areas were "dumped" into Forgotten Realms. The back cover blurb says that N4 is set on an island called Viledel. What was this particular area?

How well is the area defined in N4? Can you just go via the product itself, or is there information elsewhere that shows how the edges of N4 fit to areas of the Realms?

Do you have to disregard anything in N4 (like a map) to get N4 to fit in better with the Realms?

Are there other products that predate N4 that also got retconned into the Realms with it? If so, what would be the "collection" of retconned and FR resources that dovetail with N4 to give a GM an overall campaign?

Aside from Viledel, what sort of things should I be looking up on Forgotten Realms Wiki to learn more about how to use N4 in a Realms context?

EDIT: There is not actually a FR WIki article called "Viledel". Does anyone know if the back cover blurb on the Book-House has a typo?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: N4 Treasure Hunt in Forgotten Realms

Post by Sturm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:43 pm

It was placed in the Korinn Archipelago: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/K ... rchipelago north of the Moonshae but afaik Viledel never appeared in FR maps. I think the name refers both to the island and the ancient King.

I also think I saw a 4ed adventure which was inspired by N4 but I cannot find it anymore now...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Sturm wrote:It was placed in the Korinn Archipelago: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/K ... rchipelago north of the Moonshae but afaik Viledel never appeared in FR maps. I think the name refers both to the island and the ancient King.
I wonder if Markustay has made a map that includes Viledel.
Sturm wrote:I also think I saw a 4ed adventure which was inspired by N4 but I cannot find it anymore now...
I went looking for it, but I couldn't find it either. Hopefully someone elese knows the one you are talking about.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 am

Anyway at the end of the adventure SPOILER Viledel sinks, so it is not supposed to be in maps :)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm

It's on the map on the wiki page Sturm linked to. It's the one on top.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Right, thanks, I did not notice it before :)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:So, setting those aside, I'm looking at the retcon (which I think was made in a later N-Series product...or maybe something else).
The Korinn Archipelago, and the background from N4, was included in FR2 Evermeet (1987). The acknowledgements on the title page read: "The Korinn Archipelago was created by Aaron Allston and is detailed in module N4, Treasure Hunt." The archipelago, which was created for N4, appears on the FR2 map; the northern tip of the island of Alaron in the Moonshaes was designed to match perfectly with the map in N4. The isle of Viledel isn't marked on the FR2 map or even on the N4 map (because it's supposed to be a secret from the players). N4 says it's "the island due north of Pandira," which matches the map on the FR wiki.
Big Mac wrote: I wonder if Markustay has made a map that includes Viledel.
Yes. The map on the FR wiki was drawn by Markus Taylor.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:So, setting those aside, I'm looking at the retcon (which I think was made in a later N-Series product...or maybe something else).
The Korinn Archipelago, and the background from N4, was included in FR2 Evermeet (1987).
I pretty sure you mean FR2 Moonshae. :)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 pm

Right, Moonshae, sorry.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:55 pm

Wait...Ripvanwormer got something...wrong? DOPPLEGANGER CHECK NOW!!!

;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm

I normally try to edit my posts before anyone notices.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks for all the help Sturm, Ripvanwormer and GMWestermeyer.

I've updated the N4 Book-House article (that I linked to in the first post) with some extra links that your answers helped me find (as well as a podcast episode all about N4 Treasure Hunt) and I'll be sure to check out FR2 Moonshae.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”