looking for some advice on the dragonlance pantheon

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Jaid
Fire Giant

looking for some advice on the dragonlance pantheon

Post by Jaid » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:57 am

Hi there,

I'm moderately familiar with the setting. I've read a fair number of the older books (chronicles, some of the earlier tales and heroes, probably anything novel-wise written pre-1990 i have a decent chance of having read), but i'm now looking at creating a campaign for my nephew based around a weird idea (spelljammer setting, an area with people of shou decent who got stuck in the middle of a wildspace sargasso and were rescued by an adventuring party from krynnspace and wound up absorbing a lot of krynn culture and religion as that adventuring party had such an impact and included at least one cleric of an as-yet undecided neutral krynnish deity or deities).

anyways, long story short, a few of the gods have a ton of information on them (such as takhisis, for example), but i'm looking for some decent resources on some of the less well-developed deities, preferably without having to hunt down out-of-print material from 30 years ago.

i'm not likely going to incorporate information from later stuff in the timeline (so while i'm vaguely aware of plotlines about takhisis stealing the world and creating necromancy and a bunch of other stuff, i don't really know what's going on well enough to build around it), and to be honest probably not even during the war of the lance (the above stuff probably happened at least a thousand years ago, so draconians won't really be a thing i would imagine, except possibly as special summoned minions or something from priests of takhisis).

additionally, homebrew material works reasonably fine - this is for a group that would have some cross-culture contamination with shou beliefs (including most likely the path and the way from the spelljammer setting), and over 1000 years there could easily be quite a bit of cultural drift, i'm mostly just trying to get a decent grasp on what the doctrine (moreso than the history) of the gods of the dragonlance setting are about. for example, i've found that sirrion is the god of fire, and some sources also suggest he's the patron of some craftsman (i would loosely say "artists", though it's a bit murky at best). are there any decent examples of what sort of principles a priest of sirrion would teach? would they encourage followers to be passionate about their work, that creativity and creation are divine, or what? how about someone like, say, habbakuk. what would his priests be up to? he's noted as being related to the creatures of land and sea in one source i found, but also is patron of the knights of the crown... with basically no elaboration on why an entire order of the knights of solamnia would be following a god of creatures of the land and sea, (in contrast to kiri-jolith, who makes *tons* of sense as a patron of the knights of solamnia, being a god of heroism and war for a martial order). or shinare, who is noted as being married to sirrion, what would you expect a priest of shinare doing in a typical day... are they contract lawyers? do they go around teaching classes in accounting or how to increase efficiency in work? do they sponsor watermills and guard caravans? or with the evil gods, how would they paint their teachings in a light that makes them at all appealing to anyone? i mean, it seems unlikely that sargonnas has "come worship me and i'll take advantage of you and then cast you aside once you're no longer useful to me" written in giant letters on his temples, given he's got nearly the entire minotaur race following him...

i realize this is quite a bit to ask, given we're talking about at least 21 deities here (i'm extremely unlikely to include the high god, chaos, the gods of the dargonesti, or the animal lords, but feel free to chime in about them too if you want - they could have snuck in as part of the pantheon under spelljammer rules) and i'd ideally like a paragraph or two about each, but it has proven to be quite difficult to find good information on most of the gods of krynn. not about what they have done, but rather, what you might find if you were to go to their temples and ask their priests for guidance.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: looking for some advice on the dragonlance pantheon

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Unfortunately I am absolutely the wrong person to help you with this if you care about canon at all. I could help you dream up an entire new pantheon easily, but info on one that exists and which I super don't care about is not something I can provide. I do like your general campaign idea though.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:31 pm

I found the above at the Wikipedia.

Since your campaign is set in the past, Mina would not be around obviously. Probably the Chaos would be locked away and the High God would be keeping his distance, so you are left with the rest of the entities on this chart.

Now, lets look at the questions about specific deities:

Sirrion:
i've found that sirrion is the god of fire, and some sources also suggest he's the patron of some craftsman (i would loosely say "artists", though it's a bit murky at best). are there any decent examples of what sort of principles a priest of sirrion would teach? would they encourage followers to be passionate about their work, that creativity and creation are divine, or what?
Indeed, he is a god of passion, fire, alchemy, crafts, artist etc. I think that priests of the Good deities might all share a common foundation of their faith, but perhaps inspiring others to be creative would be the focus of these priests. I could see them actively sponsoring artists to decorate temples etc. Artist and craftsmen would also likely pray to Sirrion when in any sort of trouble as he is seen as their protector.

Habbakuk
how about someone like, say, habbakuk. what would his priests be up to? he's noted as being related to the creatures of land and sea in one source i found, but also is patron of the knights of the crown... with basically no elaboration on why an entire order of the knights of solamnia would be following a god of creatures of the land and sea, (in contrast to kiri-jolith, who makes *tons* of sense as a patron of the knights of solamnia, being a god of heroism and war for a martial order).
He is the patron of hunters, rangers, druids, sailors. What he brings to the Knights of Solamnia is the virtue of loyalty. I don't know how powerful a fleet the Knigths of Solamnia might have, but since they have holdings both on Ergoth and in Solamnia, they would have need for ships.

or shinare, who is noted as being married to sirrion, what would you expect a priest of shinare doing in a typical day... are they contract lawyers? do they go around teaching classes in accounting or how to increase efficiency in work? do they sponsor watermills and guard caravans?
I do like the idea of oaths and contracts been overseen in these temples.
or with the evil gods, how would they paint their teachings in a light that makes them at all appealing to anyone? i mean, it seems unlikely that sargonnas has "come worship me and i'll take advantage of you and then cast you aside once you're no longer useful to me" written in giant letters on his temples, given he's got nearly the entire minotaur race following him...
Now this is a very interesting question. I don't think this is exclusive to Dragonlance though. Looking at real world examples, I don't really see a problem with harsh and cruel deities attracting a following. Some might promise power in return for service. Others might simply rule out of fear. In the case of Sargonnas, I think minotaurs simply understand that he is their patron. Following another patron would make them traitors to their race. He also represents the seas, so infuriating him would be a bad idea unless you plan on becoming a permanent land lubber.

Alot of questions remain, but that's a start. Our resident DL experts might be able to answer in more detail :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:41 am

Havard wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:31 pm
Our resident DL experts might be able to answer in more detail :)

-Havard
that's the hope :)

(oh, and just fyi... iinm sirrion isn't good, he's neutral... i think that's a chart of 'familial' relationships, not alignment ;) )

and yes, i am mainly interested on "the rest" of the deities on that chart other than the high god, chaos, and mina :)

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:17 pm

There are two main “books” about the gods. One is The Matter of Theology, which is from Jeff Grubb’s home campaign long before Dragonlance came about, so, it’s uncanonical in many ways; however, you can clearly see it is the basis of almost all of the ideas about the gods in the published Dragonlance setting.

The other is Holy Orders of the Stars, one of the most recent game books that was published. I don’t have it, but my understanding is it has exactly a lot of the sort of information you’re looking for.

Return to “Dragonlance”