Has anyone used the Witch kit from Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium III?

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
thorr-kan
Ogre

Has anyone used the Witch kit from Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium III?

Post by thorr-kan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 pm

If so, how did it work for you?

It's a kit that grants limited spellcasting to a single-classed fighter or thief (or other non-spellcasting/non-psionic/non-magic-using class). The prices is double XP for advancement per level for the base class. Forex, to reach 2nd level as a thief with the class, you'd need 2500 XP instead of the 1250 XP for non-witch thief. That doesn't seem to be a problem over lower levels, but that price gets pretty steep over the higher levels!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Has anyone used the Witch kit from Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium III?

Post by agathokles » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:12 pm

I think it's a fine kit. The XP cost is justified, since you're basically creating a human multiclass, and the corresponding elf/half-elf multiclass would be even more costly.

GP

SteveMiller
Goblin

Re: Has anyone used the Witch kit from Van Richten's Monster Hunter's Compendium III?

Post by SteveMiller » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:45 pm

thorr-kan wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 pm
If so, how did it work for you?

It's a kit that grants limited spellcasting to a single-classed fighter or thief (or other non-spellcasting/non-psionic/non-magic-using class). The prices is double XP for advancement per level for the base class.
That was intentional, even if it was one of those things that I never really bothered to explain. "Power has a price" was the notion... one that I admittedly think I've executed better in more recent efforts.

It was also in keeping with the AD&D2 philosophy of party balance and overall level advancement structure. (I think I took that into account. It's been a looooong time, and I don't even even have a copy of the book and my notes are long gone.)

Not that any of that answers the question posed. I just wanted to comment, because it's rare I get to see people talk about stuff I've worked on. :)

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Mass Reply!

You make a good point, agathokles. I was comparing single class characters only, and that *is* painful. But when compared to a multi-class character, it's more inline. Still pricier, based on some quick calculations, but not "OMG! I'll never get to 20th level!"

Steve, I get where the design comes from. I mean, you've twisted the kit concept about as far as you could to graft a slew of another class's abilities onto the source class's chassis. Without actual play test data or experience with the kit myself, I'll say it reads like it would balance out. That's why I asked. (I'm an Al-Qadim fanboy. I love the sha'ir. I totally love seeing how a kit can modify the base class.)

Steve, thanks for chiming in. I love how that the Internet has allowed commentary on 20+ year-old materials from the designers! I have seen a lot of positive interaction, and it's great. (We'll ignore the trolls and negativity.)

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Tue May 08, 2018 12:41 am

I haven't used it, but after looking at it, I have some thoughts.

The experience penalty really isn't a huge deal. In general, it means a witch or warlock will be one level behind another member of the same class without the kit until high levels (around the time the classes stop gaining hit dice and just get bonus HP), at which point they fall two or three levels behind due to the XP charts flattening. I probably wouldn't take the kit as a fighter, because the armor restrictions hit them harder than a thief (and 4,000 base XP is much slower than any other class), but a thief with the kit levels at roughly the same rate as a wizard, is roughly equivalent to a wizard for casting at low levels, has better hit dice, has (slightly) better weapon selection, and can wear armor if their spells are exhausted for the day (also, this does raise the question of if an elven witch thief can wear elven chain and cast). I'd play a witch thief, and Luck, Arcane Insights, and Lethe seem particularly useful for a witch thief who focuses on the thievery part, since they (respectively) boost thief skills, allow one to identify magic items at a distance, and force people to forget the recent past.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Wed May 09, 2018 4:55 pm

The Dark wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:41 am
I haven't used it, but after looking at it, I have some thoughts.
And that's about how I'd use it, too. Meh for a fighter (but possibly really different), fun for a thief.

*I'd* go half-Vistani witch thief and work on those curses. Almost as much fun as a bard!

Return to “Ravenloft”