[5e] DA2 Temple of the Frog

Dave Arneson's original fantasy campaign; as compelling, gritty and enigmatic as ever.
The Book-House: Find Blackmoor products.

Moderator: Havard

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [5e] DA2 Temple of the Frog

Post by shesheyan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:51 pm

SESSION #3 :

Memorable evening last night. The characters managed to make an alliance with the disgruntled portion of the cult that doesn't like the control of the «false» Frog God. The friendly cultist created a diversion allowing the heroes to bypass the check point on the road to climb the mountain were the God resided. On the way up they had to contend with two humanoid battlebot guards with lasers. The players were fair sport. They really role-played liked the had never seen this type of technology. Later, they wisely decided to walk around the detection zone of a spider-drone with twin-barrel lasers.

Once at the crashed spaceship they didn't want to enter such a strange looking building at first. When they did entered, it appeared empty, at first. After failed attempts to open the interior doors with the keypads the cleric was able to batter a few doors with his mass of disruption. This of course triggered warning system. A first Mind Flayer (female) attack them by coming out of her laboratory. Sadly, all my rolls were extremely low and the creature was killed in 2 rounds of combat. Exploring further they were attack by a second Mind Flyer (male) which managed to do far more damage with his brain blast cone. The Mind Flyer won the initiative of the second round and recharged his Brain blast for a second consecutive attack on the heroes. Saving throws were failed and the party was in bad shape. They rallied and surrounded the Mind Flyer. Killing him after two other rounds. I never managed to do a head grapple with the tentacles.

Thinking they had won the day the characters entered the main laboratory were the mind flyer birth pods were located. They were horrified to see how the humans were being drained by the mind flyer embryos. Before they could destroy the birth pods three adolescent mind flyers came out of a back room. Their brain blast attacks was less powerful and could only target one person. The two novice monks almost died. They had to retreat. Two adolescents died by the hand of Tike the monk and Sir Leon the cleric. Thorgrim the fighter/bard, at 4 HPs, managed to kill the third and last adolescent. The birthing pods were destroyed. But a problem remained. Were was Risa the Baroness?

They found the baroness in the laboratory of the female Mind Flyer unconscious on a strange looking chair. Her head was in a cone shaped apparatus with 50 pieces of rope coming out of it. The ropes were connected to a metal desk with flashing lights and a strange looking lantern that displayed moving images. The characters removed the cone and the baroness slowly woke up.

At this point the session had to end because it was getting very late. I opted to do a quick description of the following events and the return trip to Vestfold were the characters were treated as real heroes. They leveled up to 9th. And so ended our mini-campaign in Blackmoor. I managed to get three 4-hour sessions out of the DA2 module and some ideas from DA3. The players were happy with their experience hoping they cold come back to this setting later on. I'll certainly oblige. We are now switching to another mini-campaign by another GM - a Shadowrun adventure.

Thanks for reading this thread.
Last edited by shesheyan on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Well done!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Well done!
Thank you !

Bonus picture. A slavers camp the heroes attacked one day before arriving to the Frog Temple. The fisherman that were captured by slavers the previous session were held captive in the small raised huts. They were released and send back home using the barge. The heroes travelled on foot to the temple after they extracted instructions from the surviving slavers. Slavers will be hanged by the fishermen.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 pm

For the second part of this adventure, since they met Mind Flayers, I'm thinking it would be cool for the characters would go in space with a spelljammer ship or via a portal. I've unearthed my copy Shadow of the Spider Moon Polyhedron magazine. Do you have any suggestion as to why they would go to the moons in the context of a Blackmoor campaign ?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 am

shesheyan wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 pm
For the second part of this adventure, since they met Mind Flayers, I'm thinking it would be cool for the characters would go in space with a spelljammer ship or via a portal. I've unearthed my copy Shadow of the Spider Moon Polyhedron magazine. Do you have any suggestion as to why they would go to the moons in the context of a Blackmoor campaign ?
... because it's there?

Perhaps there is some strange lunar phenomena that needs investigating?

In outlining of the history of my version of M-Mars (Saraimaar), the Imperial Princess is fascinated by seasonal lights that appear on that planet. Perhaps a sequence of unexplained lights begin appearing on the Materan surface? What if something strikes the moon, and (a) team(s) is/are sent to assess the damage? Or maybe the empire wants to place observation posts -- forward, early warning positions -- on the lunar surface in anticipation of some sort of interplanetary invasion?

Maybe there is some kind of lunar phenomenon like in that Final Fantasy game (was that 8?), where monsters regularly stream onto the planet's surface via lunar bridge/conjunction, and Blackmoor has said enough is enough?
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri May 04, 2018 12:54 pm

RobJN wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 am
Maybe there is some kind of lunar phenomenon like in that Final Fantasy game (was that 8?), where monsters regularly stream onto the planet's surface via lunar bridge/conjunction, and Blackmoor has said enough is enough?
I like that idea a lot ! ;)

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:05 am

I just now found this thread (digging through my oldest saved emails that I haven't seen in... months!), and I really like what you're using for table maps, minis & props. :cool:

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I noticed someone posted a link to Dyson Logos' "Lair of the Frogs" - an excellent little swamp dungeon!

I used this as a bullywug lair for one of my first 5e campaign sessions, and would be glad to share the pdf with you. It isn't at all related to DA2 Temple of the Frog, but I had a lot of fun stocking Dyson Logos' little lair. :)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:05 am
I just now found this thread (digging through my oldest saved emails that I haven't seen in... months!), and I really like what you're using for table maps, minis & props. :cool:

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I noticed someone posted a link to Dyson Logos' "Lair of the Frogs" - an excellent little swamp dungeon!

I used this as a bullywug lair for one of my first 5e campaign sessions, and would be glad to share the pdf with you. It isn't at all related to DA2 Temple of the Frog, but I had a lot of fun stocking Dyson Logos' little lair. :)
Thank you! Its fun to use props & models for some of the more important fights. Imho its makes them more memorable. The good news is that my Blackmoor campaign will restart in November if all goes well. Characters are level 9.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:32 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:11 pm
Thank you! Its fun to use props & models for some of the more important fights. Imho its makes them more memorable. The good news is that my Blackmoor campaign will restart in November if all goes well. Characters are level 9.
Also, this is very much in the spirit of Blackmoor. Although Dave Arneson didn't always use miniatures, there is a legendary story about how he brought a ceramic garden frog into the game room. The Temple of the Frog was born that day. :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Blackmoor”