Ravenloft in 5e

The master of Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.
The Book-House: Find Ravenloft products.
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Ravenloft in 5e

Post by Seethyr » Wed May 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Disclaimer: I didnt purchase the Strahd adventure and frankly have only gotten to scan through it momentarily at a bookstore. This leaves me with a question or two that is probably common knowledge, so pardon my ignorance.

1. Is Barovia now somehow related to or connected to the Forgotten Realms? If so, what region did it come from?

2. Are there officially domains now and Dark Powers and the mists like there were in older editions or has that been kind of pushed to the side?

3. Is the amount of information of Ravenloft in general versus the Strahd adventure itself worth the purchase price? I only want to know generic Ravenloft info - not just material about Barovia.

I’m asking because I’d like to create my own domain at some point for my players to visit. A horror version of Maztica where sacrifice is rampant and Aztec vampires control the domain.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Ravenloft in 5e

Post by willpell » Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 pm

I only have a tiny knowledge myself, but it's pretty evident to me that Curse of Strahd focuses almost entirely on Barovia, going into a lot of detail about Strahd's interaction with other nobles. I don't think there's any particular connection to FR though; the characters are just doing whatever they were doing, and one night your camp is surrounded by mists, and though you don't immediately realize it, you're in Ravenloft right from that moment.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 pm

willpell wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 pm
I only have a tiny knowledge myself, but it's pretty evident to me that Curse of Strahd focuses almost entirely on Barovia, going into a lot of detail about Strahd's interaction with other nobles. I don't think there's any particular connection to FR though; the characters are just doing whatever they were doing, and one night your camp is surrounded by mists, and though you don't immediately realize it, you're in Ravenloft right from that moment.
Interesting. So that at least keeps the Mists themselves canonical in 5e, giving me the impression it is still a demiplane.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:11 pm
1. Is Barovia now somehow related to or connected to the Forgotten Realms?
No more than it was in 2e. The adventure hook that starts things out is in Daggerford in the Realms but the characters are drawn into Barovia via the Mists. Barovia is connected to multiple worlds; Mordenkainen makes a cameo.

From page 5: "The lands of Barovia are from a forgotten world in the D&D universe, and this adventure gives glimpses into that world. In time, cursed Barovia was torn from its home world by the Dark Powers and bound in mist as one of the Domains of Dread in the Shadowfell."

From page 24: "The land of Barovia resides in its own demiplane, isolated from all other planes, including the Material Plane... Magic that allows transit to the Border Ethereal, such as the etherealness spell and the Etherealness feature of incorporeal undead, is the exception to this rule."

The placement in the Shadowfell seems purely nominal, since effectively it's an independent demiplane.
2. Are there officially domains now and Dark Powers and the mists like there were in older editions or has that been kind of pushed to the side?
The Mists and Dark Powers are still there. The only domain mentioned by name is Barovia, but there are said to be others.
3. Is the amount of information of Ravenloft in general versus the Strahd adventure itself worth the purchase price? I only want to know generic Ravenloft info - not just material about Barovia.
Only Barovia is mentioned.
I’m asking because I’d like to create my own domain at some point for my players to visit. A horror version of Maztica where sacrifice is rampant and Aztec vampires control the domain.
Sounds perfectly viable.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 pm

Ahhhh thank you. I think in reality then, it’s been done as it should. It doesn’t seem like there will be any follow up products (official ones) but I’m glad that there is no fear of conflict when I do create my own.

I’m bummed that there are no express rules (what happens if a domain lord is slain, can you travel between domains, etc) but I can keep wing that part I guess.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri May 18, 2018 2:23 am

Barovia wouldn't happen to be part of Aebrynis (Birthright), would it?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat May 19, 2018 1:35 am

Barovia was definitely never part of Aebrynis.

Here are two earlier threads about Strahd's world of origin:

Strahd's Home Plane?
Postulating Strahd's homeworld

Return to “Ravenloft”