[Chainmail] What happened to the equicephs?

“You think your people will be free? You think you have escaped me? You mortals will have nothing but war, not a moment of peace until a new God of War rises to replace me.” Discuss the Sundered Empire featured in the Chainmail campaign setting, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.

Moderators: Cthulhudrew, OldDawg

Icarus
Bugbear

Re: [Chainmail] What happened to the equicephs?

Post by Icarus » Tue May 08, 2018 3:52 pm

On an interesting note, re: Equicephs ...
In the DMs' Guild packages for usable art from WotC, in the "Humanoids" pack, the above art of the Equicephs is available for use.
That means almost precisely nothing more than that the DMs' Guild authors can use the image. But, it does mean that if next month (June 2018) they announce a storyline that includes Greyhawk, and hopefully include GH in the DMs' Guild, that means that I could write material for the Equiceph, especially basing it in the Sundered Empire, and put it up for sell and use in the Guild.
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Icarus wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:52 pm
On an interesting note, re: Equicephs ...
In the DMs' Guild packages for usable art from WotC, in the "Humanoids" pack, the above art of the Equicephs is available for use.
That means almost precisely nothing more than that the DMs' Guild authors can use the image. But, it does mean that if next month (June 2018) they announce a storyline that includes Greyhawk, and hopefully include GH in the DMs' Guild, that means that I could write material for the Equiceph, especially basing it in the Sundered Empire, and put it up for sell and use in the Guild.
If they put up art for D&D monsters, does that mean that you would also be allowed to put up your own art kits for DMs Guild content creators?
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun May 20, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Icarus
Bugbear

Post by Icarus » Tue May 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Well, I think that would be a tricky answer.
There's certainly artists who sell their art through DriveThruRPG, or RPGNow, or DMsGuild, or whichever version ...
And I (or any artist) could illustrate an anthropomorphic equine creature, and sell it.
We can use any of the D&D art WotC provides, or stock art from the DMsGuild, or public domain art.
And so, I could sell the art for DMs to use in their publications ... and since it's not a particular character, or the distinct likeness of one, everything would be fine, as far as the art itself ...
But, I don't necessarily think that we could use the word "equiceph".
I don't really know ... it's a tough call.
I think maybe I will email the help-people at DMSGuild to find out.

[EDIT: Update -
I have received an initial response from Customer Service:
You have reached out [sic] customer service department and unfortunately we don't know the answer to your question. Your note has been passed along to our publisher relations team and they will be in contact with you soon.
I will update more as I find an answer.]
[EDIT: Update #2 -
Jason Bolte, Community Author Relations wrote:"Yes, you are allowed to use that monster in your artwork for DMs Guild, as long as that monster follows the other guidelines for the site.
... you can call it and equiceph. ... as it appears the equiceph is setting-neutral and thus Guild-compliant."
So, there we have it.
Since the equiceph was technically published in the Miniatures Handbook, it is setting-neutral, even though it's been used in GH. He even specified such, noting that I would be allowed to use the equiceph, "but not monsters from Greyhawk or Planescape". (emphasis mine).

I would also like to note that the DMsGuild representatives replied to me three times in a matter of hours.
They should be commended on a job well-done, for clarity, quick response, and not clouding the issue with legalese-speak, but, rather, a friendly polite guy who wrote in an amiable tone.]

Icarus
Bugbear

Post by Icarus » Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 pm

So, now that we have the answer ...
Harkening back to the OP in this thread: "What Happened to the Equicephs"?
Theoretically, the answer could be - Someone wrote a small supplement for sale on the DMsGuild which included them, their history, their stats, and ntoes on their former society and ecology, ... and Icarus illustrated it.
:P

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 20, 2018 11:08 am

Icarus wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:13 pm
So, now that we have the answer ...
Harkening back to the OP in this thread: "What Happened to the Equicephs"?
Theoretically, the answer could be - Someone wrote a small supplement for sale on the DMsGuild which included them, their history, their stats, and ntoes on their former society and ecology, ... and Icarus illustrated it.
:P
LMAO!

Who is that someone?

The Miniatures Handbook has the living equicephs as having quite a different culture to the dead ones, from what I recall.

It might be necessary to focus on that (living) culture. But, I suppose a few examples of other equiceph cultures could go into a "Complete Book of Equicephs". ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Chainmail”