The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

All the forum's a stage, and all the men and women merely PCs. We make our posts, and play our parts.
hihama
Vesihiisi

Re: The Karameikos PbP, The Mistery of the Mirror (IC thread)

Post by hihama » Mon May 07, 2018 5:26 pm

I already feel much better them dissipated...

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 am

Demara's ruins east of Krondsfield
Scene VII - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 17th day, 993 AC

You enter the tomb and now you can see the mummified body has 3 jars beneath it and a shield on his lap.
"King Demara was one of the last Kings of Traladara claiming descent from Halav. He ruled 5 centuries ago, but was not much beloved as he allied with the rising nation of Darokin, and Traladara was almost conquered by Darokin after his death. Still there are Traladaran noble families who claim descent from him and would pay much to have his spoils. Lord Kelvin himself could be interested, as the King was ruler of Halavos, the previous name of Kelvin", Taran says.
"We should also decide what we want to do now. This place certainly has more treasure we can carry, both here and in the ogre's room. If we leave taking only a part, you can bet the survived humanoids will come to take what we leave before we are able to return in force. Still it may be best to leave with the more important things rather than send just a scout and risk another humanoid attack. What do you think?" Kesh says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 08, 2018 2:51 pm

I think we can leave this room as it is for now. They don't know about this room and even if they do, they can't open the door while we have the key.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 08, 2018 6:04 pm

We should take the shield and bring it to Lord Kelvin. This should interest him enough to come personally.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 08, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm not going any closer to that mummy.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 09, 2018 9:49 am

"Indeed we should examine the tomb with magic before entering", Bellithiel says.
"There are several magical objects, I see the orb hidden under the shield, and the urns also contain something - Taran says - we must bring the orb to Nethril in Krondsfield and it is also a good idea to bring or send the shield to Kelvin"
"I see no traps with magical detection either on the urns or the shield, so I guess we can safely touch them. I guess the key and the Shadows were enough to keep intruders away. This has worked for 5 centuries after all, but then Bonegnasher has almost find it. We must admit he was a clever ogre, and would have been a great danger with the orb in his hands!", Kesh says.
"Indeed", Taran says. The elf then proceed to carefully examine the shield, then passing it to Lucius. The shield has a castle, a crown, a man and a beatman fighting on a argent field, with a motto in Traladaran "Proslos I Buducnos".
"It means Past and Future - Taran says - Demara was proud to be descended by King Halav and wished to be the future of Traladara, but it did not work so well for him"
Taran then shows you a small orb, slightly bigger than a hand, black and surrounded by a metal dragon. "This is the orb", the elf says.
"The jars contain a fortune in gold of the time, some scrolls and a ring, should we take them?" Kesh asks.
"Let's take them but be careful not to damage them, the scrolls might contain important informations", Bellithiel says.
You take the jars, shield and orb, then Kesh and Taran also take a look to Bonegnasher's treasure with magic. You find there a magical dagger and a magical sword, more scrolls and a potion.
"There are also coins and moderately valuable gems - Kesh says - but I would leave them to the humanoids. We now should let them go. Hopefully they will return just to pick up Bonegnasher's coins and leave, and will not be motivated to dig around for more or stay".

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 am

We also lock the tomb before leaving.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu May 10, 2018 3:42 pm

You lock the tomb and take the jars, shield and orb, plus some items from Bonegnasher's room. You also take most of the humanoids weapons to be loaded on one of your horses. The other adventurers and Taran came on foot so you use the other horses to pull Beldar and Lordan on stretchers. The two in fact are better but still in no shape to walk. You camp inside the ruins for the night, eating rations and taking watch turns, but no one disturbs you. The humanoid prisoners are locked temporarily in one of the internal room and guarded. Kesh provide a minimal medication to let them live, and gives them some water and food from Bonegnasher's room.
Special care is taken for the now awake lizardman, who Kesh want to keep tied and gagged and guarded on sight, as he is a cleric.
"The five goblins are gone, dead or escaped, as one orc. One hobgoblin and two kobolds are dead, so we have the lizardman, two hobgoblins, four orcs, four gnolls and four kobolds. I would let them go as it is unlikely they will stick together with Bonegnasher dead. Also there are no human or elven communities nearby. But I want to take the lizardman to Nethril, he may know something interesting about Bonegnasher", Kesh says.
"Agreed - Taran says - let's leave tomorrow at first light".
"I do the first watch - Delvar the dwarf says - I speak also for Morganth, Slinker, Silverleaf, Lordan and Beldar to thank you again for saving us!"

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 14, 2018 1:54 pm

Back in Krondsfield
Scene VIII - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 18th day, 993 AC

Nothing happens during the night and in the morning you leave the humanoids go, Taran adminishing them not to return as forces of Karameikos will soon arrive to occupy the castle.
It takes the full day, with the wounded, to return to Krondsfield. Lordan and Beldar anyway are better and the other adventurers are merry, eager to go back to town, drink and rest. They indeed invite you to meet them at the Red Dragon Inn for dinner or after dinner, as Taran says Nethril the wizard probably will invite you to dinner.
Indeed in Krondsfield Nethril is eager to greet you and hear the tale of your discoveries. As he learns you have found the famous tomb of Demara and his orb, and several scrolls, he is very excited.
"We will learn much from them. Please stay for dinner and we will talk more, I will give an immediate look at the scrolls while you rest and I will let you know what I will learn", Nethril says.
You take a quick bath and rest a while in a living room, speaking a bit with Taran who tell you something more about Krondsfield. "The original Traladaran village once here was destroyed by Thyatian invaders in 900 AC. Some years later the village was rebuilt by halflings and Darokinian traders as a meeting point. Krond indeed means Safe in Lalor, the language of the hin. You must have noticed the big Thyatian temple outside. Originally dedicated to the hin immortals and the Church of Darokin, it is now a temple for all faiths in town. It is no chance that the town was founded near Demara's castle, the Darokinians were aware the ancient Traladaran kings was once a friend of Darokin".
The servants come to call you and Taran stops his tale, promising to give you a tour of the town tomorrow.
At dinner, beside you, Kesh and Bellithiel, there is Nethril, a priest introduced as Farrish and a tanned man introduced as Sethel. Nethril is even more excited than before.
"Your discovery was incredibly useful - he says - I've found a scroll penned by Demara himself where the Mirror of the Worlds is mentioned. I bet it is the Mirror that wizard Skarda is using! But much more, I found out Bonegnasher the ogre could write and read in Thyatian. And even if his ortography was not so good, he was still maintaining a correspondence, guess with whom? one Oliver of Hom".

Notes:
Do you remember Oliver? Here it is his first appearance: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=17661#p194715

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Mon May 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Oliver. We have some unfinished business with him. It seems that everything is connected...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon May 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Interesting. Does the correspondence shed some light as to Oliver's plans or whereabout?

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Back in Krondsfield

"Oliver asks Bonegnasher to check two locations. One is Demara's castle, where he instructed him to search for the Orb and clues about the Mirror. This is interesting because apparently Skarda himself is searching for informations about the Mirror. That is also worrying however, as it means he is searching to unlock more powers of the Mirror. Given the name with which it is mentioned, Mirror of Worlds, I have the strong fear he means to gather more troops from other worlds, probably to use them against Karameikos. But we have for now hindered his plan, as we have found the scroll of Demara. I will soon translate it fully and let you know what it says about the Mirror, so that you may inform Eveskyr. Then the other location Oliver asked Bonegnasher to check is the Harrow Hill Mansion. That is an abandoned house about two hours from here to the north. It is empty I believe from before I was born. I know it once belonged to a wizard", Nethril says.
"Yes, Gunter Weiss, an Hattian immigrant in 900 AC - the man named Sethel says - the mansion is abandoned since 941 AC, when Gunter, his young wife and his servants disappeared overnight. Local peasants thought it was magic, or a curse, and avoided the place since. I must says being a kind of local historian I once went there but the place had such an unpleasant appearance that I did not want to enter alone. I wanted to return but for one reason or another, never did it"
"Still we never had any undead problem around here in recent times - Farrish the priest says - and I mean since 900 AC. I believe there was a vampire once around 840 AC, but local adventurers destroyed it".

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Tue May 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Does it give any hints what he hoped to find in the mansion?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 pm

We should check out this ruin. Also, the Orb needs to be sent somewhere where Oliver and Skarda cannot reach. With the Mirror's power, they have extraordinary mobility, so this is going to be rather difficult.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 am

Back in Krondsfield

"He wrote Bonegnasher to send him any scroll or book in the mansion, so apparently he thought this wizard had informations about the Mirror or about something else. - Nethril replies to Bofar - Indeed it would be useful to check the mansion before this Oliver learns Bonegnasher has been killed. I will also interrogate the lizardman priest and let you know what I discover. I will protect the Orb personally with the help of Farrish until reinforcement arrive"
"I should stay here too to protect the Orb and help Nethril", Taran says.
"We still should visit the Siswa elves but as they did not gave us urgency I suppose we can examine this mansion first. However if it contains lots of book and scrolls we will need a carriage and people to help us", Bellithiel says.
"The mansion is just a couple of hours from here - Sethel the scribe says - if you go tomorrow you could return within the day and let us know what's there and if we need to send more people to carry items".
"Should just the 4 of us go or should we ask the local adventurers to come too?" Kesh says.
"Nothing in Oliver's letter seems to indicate he thought the mansion to be dangerous, but obviously you can take them too if you prefer", Nethril says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 pm

If they are willing to join us then we should take them with us. More the merrier...

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 am

Back in Krondsfield
Scene IX - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 18-19th day, 993 AC

You go to the Red Dragon Tavern to speak with the adventurers. The cleric, Lordan, and the warrior, Beldar, are not yet in shape to accompany you but Delvar, the dwarf, Silverleaf, the elf, the wizard Morganth and the thief Slinker are willing to come.
The morning after you have time to get another look at the town:
(legend in another post)

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri May 18, 2018 10:18 am

Back in Krondsfield
Scene IX - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

The morning after you can visit any of the shops if you need to buy something.
Before you start your brief trek to the mansion, Nethril comes to speak to you again.
"We have learned something from the lizardman - he says - something very worrying. He was tasked by Oliver to spy on Bonegnasher, and I suspect Oliver may still have some mental connection with him. I cannot exclude that just by interrogating him we may have warned the wizard about the defeat of Bonegnasher and our intention to explore the mansion. But even without my interrogation, Oliver probably already knew. On the bright side, I have found many useful items among Bonegnasher's possessions: a fireball scroll, a slow scroll, a magic missile scroll, a charm scroll, a potion of healing, a magical dagger and an extremely fine magical short sword. You should take these items with you, or give some of them to the local adventurers"

(The dagger is of similar quality of your magic weapons, +1, but the short sword is even better, +2, if you want it. By examining them, Bofar can see they are probably gnomish made and relatively old, maybe from 50 years ago. Difficult to imagine where Bonegnasher found them. Scrolls and potion seem human made, and recent)

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 pm

I do not need any of these items.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Lucius takes the potion and the dagger. "Kesh, is there something you can use?"

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Sat May 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Back in Krondsfield
Scene IX - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

"Potion yes, but the dagger and the sword are not really weapons favored by Garal. I have my mace, not killing when possible. Bellithiel?"
"I can use the scrolls and the dagger, but we could sell the sword back in Eveskyr at a good price", the elf says.
"Then time to go. If you want to buy something quickly do it, then we should gather the others and move before Oliver precedes us", Kesh says.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat May 19, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm ready to leave.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 22, 2018 10:43 am

The Mansion near Krondsfield
Scene X - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

You gather Delvar, Silverleaf, Slinker and Morganth at the Dragon Den Tavern and proceed, with a map from Sethel the scribe, to the mansion outside town. Bellithiel lends the magic sword to Silverleaf in the meantime, should you need it. Just in case Nethril made sure all have at least a magical weapon, even if nothing dangerous is expected to be at the mansion.
After a two hours walk to the north and slightly to the east among light wood, leaving quickly behind the farms around Krondsfield, you reach the house. It was big and beautiful once for sure, with a patio and wooden columns, but not it looks abandoned since decades, as it was. Moss hangs in the cracks of the siding, shutters slam in the wind and some boards of the porch are crumbling. Its architecture is strange to you, with dark wood and a steep roof, it seems from another place, maybe Glantrian?
"Not very inviting as expected" Delvar the dwarf says.
"Around the house there are no traces except for the usual, rabbits and deers - Silverleaf says - so it seems it is indeed empty since a long time, and I do not see anyone coming here recently".
"That's good as it means Oliver has not arrived yet, nor Bonegnasher had time to visit the place", Bellithiel says.
"Should we enter?" Kesh says.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Yes. While it may seem empty, let's be careful. Anyone handy with traps? Wizards are know to protect their privacy with nasty means

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue May 22, 2018 12:53 pm

The Mansion near Krondsfield
Scene X - Hralen, Thaumont, Early Spring, 19th day, 993 AC

"I will take a look", Slinker says.
The human looks around the door and the porch at various angle and then poke it in different places with a stick and some tools, then returns to you.
"No traps found. The door is dusty and broken, consistent with the tale it is unused since decades. It is closed but not locked, I can see a room from the spyhole with a minimum of light coming from the windows"
Silverleaf too is taking a look at the house from the windows. "Some windows are broken, some are closed with shutters. But I can see only empty dusty rooms. However we could take a look around the house too".

Return to “The Crystal Globe”