Historical Settings from Dragon Magazine

Discuss published campaign worlds that do not have a specific forum here.
AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Historical Settings from Dragon Magazine

Post by AlHazred » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 am

While perusing old issues of Dragon magazine for inspiration for my current campaign, I came across an intriguing series of articles by Kenneth Hite. The series was "Cities for the Ages" and it covered several historical real-world cities as D&D settings. Each article included a brief historical bit, a description of the layout and points of interest in the city, a short cast of NPCs, and adventure hooks. Each one is intriguing, and makes me want to run a time-hopping campaign in the "Real World."
  • Dragon #284: London, 1589
  • Dragon #285: Prague, 1599
  • Dragon #286: Venice, 1320
  • Dragon #288: Baghdad, 800
  • Dragon #289: Paris, 1248
  • Dragon #290: Novgorod, 1241
  • Dragon #292: Edo, 1673
I looked a little further, and found a setting by Shelly Baur, which had the same mixture of historical basis, description/map of the city, a short list of NPCs, and adventure hooks:
  • Dragon #318: Port Royal, sometime between 1657 and 1692
Is anyone aware of any other articles presenting historical "Real World" settings in the same amount of detail? I'm familiar with the stand-alone products put out by TSR (the HR series: HR1 Vikings, HR2 Charlemagne's Paladins, HR3 Celts, HR4 A Mighty Fortress, HR5 The Glory of Rome, HR6 Age of Heroes, and HR7 The Crusades) and the unfortunately-covered series by Avalanche Press for the 3E line. I was interested in shorter articles.
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator
NJ D&D Adventurers League
dndalnj@gmail.com - http://bit.ly/dndalnj

Running: D&D 5E Encounters/Expeditions, Shadowrun 5E Missions | Playing: D&D 5E, Battletech Hero 6E, Fate Core | Planning: Fate Core, Traveller Hero 6E

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

finarvyn
Hobgoblin

Re: Historical Settings from Dragon Magazine

Post by finarvyn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Nice catch. I don't know of any others offhand, but I had totally forgotten about those and now I can scurry back to my box o' Dragon magazines to look at the articles. :)
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Kythkyn
Goblin

Post by Kythkyn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Those were some pretty great articles. I used a few cities as backdrops for adventure years ago, though I did lift them from our world and drop them into fantasy ones
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 pm

I remember a couple of articles about dark ages England from just after the fall of the Roman Empire.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 pm

AlHazred wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 am
While perusing old issues of Dragon magazine for inspiration for my current campaign, I came across an intriguing series of articles by Kenneth Hite. The series was "Cities for the Ages" and it covered several historical real-world cities as D&D settings. Each article included a brief historical bit, a description of the layout and points of interest in the city, a short cast of NPCs, and adventure hooks. Each one is intriguing, and makes me want to run a time-hopping campaign in the "Real World."
  • Dragon #284: London, 1589
  • Dragon #285: Prague, 1599
  • Dragon #286: Venice, 1320
  • Dragon #288: Baghdad, 800
  • Dragon #289: Paris, 1248
  • Dragon #290: Novgorod, 1241
  • Dragon #292: Edo, 1673
I looked a little further, and found a setting by Shelly Baur, which had the same mixture of historical basis, description/map of the city, a short list of NPCs, and adventure hooks:
  • Dragon #318: Port Royal, sometime between 1657 and 1692
I bet Havard is interested in this stuff.

He has been looking for D&D campaigns set in the real-world.
AlHazred wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:32 am
Is anyone aware of any other articles presenting historical "Real World" settings in the same amount of detail? I'm familiar with the stand-alone products put out by TSR (the HR series: HR1 Vikings, HR2 Charlemagne's Paladins, HR3 Celts, HR4 A Mighty Fortress, HR5 The Glory of Rome, HR6 Age of Heroes, and HR7 The Crusades) and the unfortunately-covered series by Avalanche Press for the 3E line. I was interested in shorter articles.
There is actually a connection between Masque of the Red Death (set on the Gothic Earth) and the Historical Reference line.

The HR series is set in a totally different time period to MotRD, but IIRC it looks like some of your Dragon articles are a lot closer.

Maybe there are some MotRD magazine articles, especially ones connected to running MotRD in different regions of the world, that would work for you.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:32 pm

night_druid wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 pm
I remember a couple of articles about dark ages England from just after the fall of the Roman Empire.
Yes, Dark Age Britain was detailed in Dragon #257 and Dragon #263.

Dark Age Russia was detailed in Dragon #290.

Robin Hood's England was detailed in Dragon #274.

Ancient Rome: The Glory of Rome Campaign Sourcebook, Dragon #133
Age of Vikings: Vikings Campaign Sourcebook, Dragon #90.
Mesopotamia: Creative Campaigning, 21, Deities & Demigods 1st edition, Dragon #16, Dragon #329
Africa: Creative Campaigning, 23; Dragon Magazine #27, Dragon #189, Dragon #215, Dragon #122, Dragon #116, Dragon #195, Dragon #202, Dragon #209
India: Dragon #189. Dragon #225.

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:32 pm
Dark Age Britain was detailed in Dragon #257 and Dragon #263.
Looks like the article in #257 is exactly what I was looking for! Brief history, check. Geographical info, check. Roll-call of personages, check. The article in #263 is a religion expansion which should prove useful, although I'm not using 2nd edition.
ripvanwormer wrote:
Dark Age Russia was detailed in Dragon #290.
This ties in with the Novgorod article in the same issue! Nice.
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

Running: D&D 5E Encounters/Expeditions, Shadowrun 5E Missions | Playing: D&D 5E, Battletech Hero 6E, Fate Core | Planning: Fate Core, Traveller Hero 6E

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Yes, Dark Age Britain was detailed in Dragon #257 and Dragon #263.
Thanks rip, I was going to look that up when I got home :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:02 am

Ooh, historical articles by Hite? Those would be fun!

Sadly, I think let my subscription lapse by then, and the Dragon Archive CDs only go up to #250...
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Winds of Freeport: My Pathfinder Freeport campaign (2014-2016).
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:42 am

I had a chance to track down the following:
Ancient Rome: Dragon #133
Article "The Imperial Gods" details the Roman pantheon. Not bad, but not enough to run a campaign on.
Age of Vikings: Dragon #90
I think this reference is supposed to be the article "Plane Facts of Gladsheim" which covers the Vikingesque parts of that plane. There's also the high-level adventure "Aesirhamar," which I remember reading and liking but never got a chance to play or run.
Robin Hood's England: Dragon #274
There are actually several articles in here: a gazetteer, a gallery of NPCs, adventure seeds, and setting description. It's fantastic, and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:56 am

I also had a chance to check the Mesopotamia sources I've got handy. Here's an in-depth review:
  • Dragon #016 - D&D Variant: Near-Eastern Mythos, by Jerome Arkenberg (The mythologies of Sumeria, Babylonia, and Canaan. Descriptions are in the abbreviated OD&D style found in Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods, and Heroes. SUMERIAN Gods: An, Enlil, Enki, Nanna, Ninhursag, Utu, Inanna, Dumuzi, Ereshkigal, Nergal, Namtar; Heroes: Gilgamesh, Enkido, Lugulbanda, Ziusudra; Monsters: Humbaba, The Scorpion Men; Artifacts: The Axe "Might of Heroes", the "Bow of Anshan", the Breastplate "Voice of Heroes". BABYLONIAN Gods: Anu, Marduk, Ea, Sin, Ninhursag, Shamash, Ishtar, Tammuz, Ereshkigal, Nergal, Namtar, Tiamat, Apsu, Kingsu, Nebo; Heroes: Gilgamesh, Enkido, Utnapishtim; Monsters: Humbaba, The Scorpion Men; Artifacts: The Axe "Might of Heroes", the "Bow of Anshan", the Breastplate "Voice of Heroes". CANAANITE Gods: El, Baal, Yerah, Asherah, Shapash, Astarte or Anat, Athtar, Mot, Mekal, Lotan, Yamm, "Skilful & Percipient One"; Heroes: King Krt, King Dn'il, 'Aqht, The Maiden; Artifacts: The Mace "Driver", the Mace "Expeller".)
  • Dragon #329 - Mesopotamian Mythos: From the Cradle of Civilization to Your Game Table, by David Schwartz (D&D 3.5E treatment of the Mesopotamian Mythos. Adad, Anu, Belet-ili, Ea, Enlil, Ereshkigal, Ishtar, Marduk, Nergal, Ninurta, Shamash, Sin. Sidebar discussion of Apsu, Tiamat, and the Tablets of Destiny.)
David Schwartz did two other mythologies that are worth checking out for historical games.

He did a great treatment of the Aztec Mythos which was serialized in the Class Acts section of several Dragon magazines:
  • Dragon #352 - Aztec Mythos I, by David Schwartz (Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca)
  • Dragon #354 - Aztec Mythos II, by David Schwartz (Chalchihuitlicue, Tlaloc)
  • Dragon #356 - Aztec Mythos III, by David Schwartz (Cihuacoatl, Huitzilopochtli)
  • Dragon #358 - Aztec Mythos IV, by David Schwartz (Tonatiuh, Xipetotec)
Sadly it was discontinued, but David put the last part on the Paizo message boards here: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ho72?Aztec-Mythos-Redux In that he covered Mictlantecuhtli and Xiuhtecuhtli.

The last mythology article he did was the Kalevala Mythos of the Finns, in Targum issue #04. It covered Väinämöinen, Ilmarinen, Lemminkäinen, Hiisi, Louhi, Tuoni, Ahti, Ilmatar, Tapio, Ukko, and with a sidebar on the Sampo.
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 am

What is this Targum you mention?

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 am

hihama wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:54 am
What is this Targum you mention?
It was a short-lived (4 issues, AFAIK) magazine from Highmoon that provided support for Green Ronin's historical D20 series. I haven't got any idea how to get it now, though, since Highmoon's site is dead and all the links to buy the magazine from Green Ronin are likewise dead.

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:07 am

The Dark wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:12 am
It was a short-lived (4 issues, AFAIK) magazine from Highmoon that provided support for Green Ronin's historical D20 series. I haven't got any idea how to get it now, though, since Highmoon's site is dead and all the links to buy the magazine from Green Ronin are likewise dead.
Makes me wish I'd picked up the rest, I've just got issue #4...
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:59 pm

First of all, apologies for clogging up the board with my inanity.

I'm starting to develop a feel for what I was looking for in historical setting materials. The articles that first attracted my attention, the Hite articles, had something of a common format:
  • History: a brief description of the setting/city from the standpoint of the timeframe of the rest of the material.
  • Lay of the Land: a physical description of the city, or a gazetteer of the setting.
  • Map: a keyed map with important locations for gaming purposes.
  • NPCs: a roster of important or interesting NPCs from the timeframe of the setting;.
  • Adventure Seeds: a number of adventure hooks for the DM to develop.
That was just the Hite articles. The following items are of added benefit"
  • Religion: for those historical settings that do not use a Christian or Islamic basis, pantheon information would be valuable.
  • Bestiary: creatures from the myths and legendry of the setting are handy.
  • Character Options: most distantly, interesting character options are a plus. I'm probably using 5th edition for this, so those options would have to be modified if I can use them at all, but they provide valuable background detail for character generation.
Did I miss anything?
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:44 am

This is a lot of information. Even if I don't use it, there's a chance someone else (*cough, cough* Havard) will. So, here it is.

ORIGINAL D&D HISTORICAL ARTICLES
  • Dragon #012: The Persian Mythos, by Jerome Arkenberg
    --Edition: Original D&D.
    --Setting: Persia, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Persian Mythos: Ahura Mazda or Ohrmazd, Vohu Manah, Asha, Kshathra Vairya, Armaiti, Haurvatat & Ameretat, Sraosha, Mithra, Vayu, Tishtraya, Ardi Sura Anahita, Verethragna, Rapithwin, Atar, Haoma, Yima, Hosang, Takhmaruw, Thrita, Faridun, Keresaspa, Ahriman or Angra Mainyu, Aeshma, Azhi Dahaka). Extremely abbreviated in the style of Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods, & Heroes.
  • Dragon #012: The Druids, by James Bruner
    --Setting: British Isles, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Flavor. Description of classic druids.
  • Dragon #013: The Japanese Mythos, by Jerome Arkenberg
    --Setting: Japan, Pre-Modern Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Japanese Mythos: Amerterasu, Tsukiyomi-No-Mikoto, Susano, Izanagi & Izanami, Ryujin, Hachiman, Inari, Kwannon, Suka-Na-Biko Or Momotaro, Hotei, Jurojin, Fukurokujo, Bishamon, Daikoku, Ebisu, Benten, Shaka-Nyorai, Yakushi-Nyorai, Amida-Nyorai, Dainichi-Nyorai, Miroku-Bosatsu, Kannon-Bosatsu, Monju-Bosatsu, Fugen-Bosatsu, Jizo-Bosatsu, Fudo-Myoo, Aizen-Myoo, Fujin, Kosensei, Oh-Kuni-Nushi, Raiden, Shi-Tenno, Shoki, Tenjin, Uke-Mochi, Umi-Bozo, Uzume, Yama-Uba, Issun Boshi, Kintaroraiko or Yorimitsu, Tawara Toda or Hidesato, Benkei, Yoshitsune, Light-of-Fire & Shade-of-Fire, Yamamoto Date, Shotoku Daishi, Yoshi-Iye, Kiyomori, Tametomo, En No Shokaku, Kobo Daishi, Nichiren), Bestiary (new monsters: Kappa, Tengu, Oni, Yuki-Onna). Extremely abbreviated in the style of Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods, & Heroes.
  • Dragon #016: Near Eastern Mythos, by Jerome Arkenberg
    --Setting: Mesopotamia, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Sumerian/Babylonian/Canaanite Mythos: An/Anu/El, Enlil/Marduk/Baal, Enki/Ea/-, Nanna/Sin/Yerah, Ninhursag/Asherah, Utu/Shamash/Shapash, Inanna/Ishtar/Astarte, Dumuzi/Tammuz/Athtar, Ereshkigal/Mot, Nergal/Mekal, Namtar, Tiamat/Lotan, Apsu/Yamm, Kingsu, Nebo, "Skilful & Percipient One", Gilgamesh, Enkido, Lugulbanda, Ziusudra/Utnapishtim, King Krt, King Dn'il, 'Aqht, The Maiden), Bestiary (new monsters: Humbaba, Scorpion Men). Extremely abbreviated in the style of Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods, & Heroes.
  • Dragon #019: The Mythos of Australia in Dungeons & Dragons, by Jerome Arkenberg
    --Setting: Australia, Pre-Modern Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Aboriginal Mythos: Daramulun, The Numbakulla, Ngunung-Ngunnut, Gidja, Morkul-Kua-Luan, Yalungur, Kallin-Kallin, The Muramura, The Mamandabari, Yurlunggur, Mamarangan, Wodoi, Djunggun, Walangda, Wagtjadbulla & Tcabuinji, Waramurungundju, The Djanggawul, The Wa Walag Sisters), Bestiary (new monster: The Mimi). Extremely abbreviated in the style of Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods, & Heroes.
  • Dragon #020: The Mythos of Polynesia in Dungeons & Dragons, by Jerome Arkenberg
    --Setting: Polynesia, Pre-Modern Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Polynesian Mythos: Tangaroa, Makemake, Tu, Tane, Tawhiri, Tinirau, Rongo, Pele, Hi-Iaka, Haumia, Tumu-Ra'i-Feuna, Hina, Miru, Kamapua'a, Haumea, Atea, Papa, Kaulo, Kawelo, Pekoi, Iwa, Ono, Kana, Maui, Tawhaki, Kariki, Rata), Bestiary (new monsters: Tuna-of-the-Eternal-Waters, Amakua, Vahine-Hae). Extremely abbreviated in the style of Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods, & Heroes.
  • Dragon #024: Chinese Dragons, by David Sweet
    --Setting: China, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Bestiary (new monsters: T'ien Lung, Shen Lung, Li Lung, Pan Lung, Lung Wang, Yu Lung). Extremely abbreviated.
  • Dragon #024: A Viking Campaign in the Caspian Sea, by James E. Brunner
    --Setting: Europe, 10th Century.
    --Contents: History, Map with Locations. More for wargaming than roleplaying.
  • Dragon #026: Chinese Undead, by David Sweet
    --Setting: China, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Bestiary (new monsters: Lower Soul, Lost Soul, Vampire-Spectre, Sea Bonze, Celestial Stag, Goat Demon). Extremely abbreviated.
  • Dragon #027: The Mythos of Africa in Dungeons & Dragons, by Jerome Arkenberg
    --Setting: Africa, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Sub-Saharan African Mythos: Mulungu, the Serpent of Eternity, Shango, Dongo, Tsui'goab, Kubuka, The Rainbow, Ala, Musa, Ogun, Ol-Okun, River Gods, Lake Gods, Mukasa, Eshu, Death & Kaizuki, Odu-Duwa, Oranyan, Gikuyu, Shamba Golongongo, Madlebe, Garang, Abuk, Kintu, Efe). Extremely abbreviated in the style of Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods, & Heroes.
  • Dragon #029: The Mythos of Oceania in Dungeons & Dragons, by Jerome Arkenberg
    --Setting: Oceania, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Micronesian Mythos: Old Nareau & Young Nareau, Nakaa, Mtikitik, Bue, Olifat, Palulop, Alulei, Big Rong & Little Rong, Faruvai, Solang), Religion (Melanesian Mythos: Kasa Sona, Ipila, Nugu, Bugal, Warger, Kambel, Chel, Marruni, Bunosi & Kafisi, Tudava, Ambat, To Kabinana, To Karvuvu, Qat & the Eleven Tangaros, Marunogere, Abere, Mesede, Sido, Kwoiam, Tamatu), Bestiary (new Micronesian monster: Porpoise Girls), Bestiary (new Melanesian monsters: Ndengei, The Sky Maidens, Adaro, Dogai, Origoruso, Marsalai, Figonas, Hatubwari, Agunua). Extremely abbreviated in the style of Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods, & Heroes.
  • Dragon #036: The Mongols: History - Weaponry - Tactics, by Michael Kluever
    --Setting: Eurasia, Pre-Modern Period.
    --Contents: History, Character Options (equipment).
I'll update as I get a chance to check more sources.
Last edited by AlHazred on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 pm

1ST EDITION AD&D HISTORICAL ARTICLES
  • Dragon #058: Four Myths from Greece
    --Edition: 1st edition AD&D.
    --Setting: Greece, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Local Characters (Atalanta, Daedalus, Chiron, by Roger Moore; The Sybil of Cumae by Katherin Kerr). Full stats.
  • Dragon #065: Tuatha De Danaan: A Revised Celtic Mythos, by Robin Emrys Atkinson
    --Setting: British Isles, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Celtic Mythos: Danaan, Dagda, Nuada, Ogma, Dian Cecht, Goibniu, Manannan Mac Lir, Cian, Lugh, Cairbre, Brigit, Cernunnos, Wild Hunt, non-Tuathan characters).
  • Dragon #110: For Better or Norse I: Equal Time for the Members of the Vanir, by Joel McGraw
    --Setting: Vikings, Pre-Modern Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Viking Mythos: Angur-Boda, Egder, Gerda, Grid, Gullveig, Hati Hrodvitnisson and Skol, Hermod, Mimir, Nidhogg, Njord, Utgard-Loki, Vafthrudnir, Volundr).
  • Dragon #110: For Better or Norse II: New Descriptions of Some Old Favorites, by Carl Sargent
    --Setting: Vikings, Pre-Modern Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Viking Mythos: Niord, Frey, Freya, Loki).
  • Dragon #122: Out of Africa: Supernatural Creatures from the Dark Continent, by Charles R. Saunders / Gaming the Dark Continent, by Roger E. Moore
    --Contents: Bestiary (new monsters: Chemosit, Chepekwe, Dingonek, Getiet, Ingogo, Ngojama, Nunda, Nzefu-Loi, Silwane-Manzi, Tyerkow, Unthlatu, Utuchekulu). Saunders' article describes the creatures, Moore's article stats them out.
  • Dragon #133: The Imperial Gods, by Eric Oppen
    --Setting: Rome, Ancient.
    --Contents: Character Options (class Cleric), Religion (Roman Mythos: Aeneas, Cybele, Divinis Imperator, Eris, Janus, Mithras, Saturn, Serapis, Vesta).
This is when I started reading Dragon magazine; I KNOW there must be more!
Last edited by AlHazred on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:20 pm

2ND EDITION AD&D HISTORICAL ARTICLES
  • Dragon #189: Rhino's Armor, Tiger's Claws: What the Well-Equipped Warrior of India Wears, by Michael J. Varhola
    --Edition: 2nd edition AD&D.
    --Setting: India, Pre-Modern Era.
    --Contents: Character Options (equipment).
  • Dragon #189: The Dark Continent: Add African to Your Campaign World, by David Howery
    --Contents: Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, Adventure Seeds/Campaigning, Character Options (races), Character Options (classes), Bestiary (fitting in existing monsters).
  • Dragon #195: Real Warriors Ride Elephants: Warrior Kits for African Settings, by Michael John Wybo II
    --Contents: Character Options (kits).
  • Dragon #200: Magic from thye Gods: Wizard Kits for an African Campaign, by Michael John Wybo II
  • Dragon #202: Mythic Races of Africa: Strange Creatures to Enliven Any Campaign, by Michael John Wybo II
    --Contents: Character Options (races).
  • Dragon #209: The Priests of Africa: Clerical Kits for African PCs, by Michael John Wybo II
  • Dragon #215: The Deities of Africa: Avatars for Adfrican Setting Pantheons, by Michael John Wybo II
    --Contents: Religion (Ashante Mythos: Ananse, Asase Ya, Nyame), Religion (Bushmen Mythos: Animal Spirits, Cagn, Gauna), Religion (Pygmy Mythos: Bumba, Khonvum), Religion (Benin Mythos: So), Religion (Kanem-Bornu Mythos: Leza), Religion (other deities briefly described).
  • Dragon #225: Caste of Characters: Bringing the Indian Subcontinent into Your AD&D Game, by Michael A. Selinker
    --Setting: India, Pre-Modern Era.
    --Contents: Character Options (kits). Sidebars: "New Indian Nonweapon Proficiencies: Elephant Care, Explosive Energy, Mudra Sign Language, Sword Swallowing", "Thugee Omens and Their Meanings".
  • Dragon #257: Dark Ages: Roleplaying in Anglo-Saxon Britain, by Ian Malcomson
    --Setting: British Isles, Dark Ages.
    --Contents: Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map of the Isles with Locations, Kings & Heroes of the Dark Ages (NPCs), Adventure Seeds/Campaigning, Character Options (races), Character Options (kits). Sidebars: "New Spell: Scribe Rune", "The Futhark".
  • Dragon #263: Hearth & Sword: Deities of the Dark Ages, by Ian Malcomson
    --Setting: British Isles, Dark Ages.
    --Contents: Religion (Anglo-Saxon Mythos: Nerthus, Eostre, Hred, Mannus, Woden, Tir, Thunor, Ing, priests of the Anglo-Saxon pantheon; with specialty priests and new spells), Religion (Christianity). Sidebar: "The Anglo-Saxon Year".
There's several others I remember from this era I need to track down.
Last edited by AlHazred on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:21 pm

3RD EDITION D&D HISTORICAL ARTICLES
  • Dragon #274: Steal from the Rich: A D&D Mini-Campaign, by Ian Malcomson
    --Edition: 3rd edition D&D.
    --Setting: England, 12th century.
    --Contents: History, Timeline. Sidebars: "Whither Robyn?", "Starting a Sherwood Campaign".
  • Dragon #274: Wolfsheads: Adventures for Heroic Outlaws, by Ian Malcomson
    --Contents: Adventure Seeds, Campaigning, Character Options (classes). Sidebars: "Contributing to the Delinquency of the Peasantry", "New Feats: Ranged Disarm, Deflect Ranged Attack, Ranged Pin, Ranged Sunder", "Trick Shots", "Ranged Weapons in Melee".
  • Dragon #274: The Great Greenwood: A Mini-Gazetteer of Robin Hood Country, by Ian Malcomson
    --Contents: Map with Locations. Sidebars: "Nottingham", "Typical Saxon Village (Hamlet)".
  • Dragon #274: Rogues & Royal: Heroes and Villains of the Robin Hood Campaign, by Ian Malcomson
    --Contents: Local Characters (NPCs).
  • Dragon #284: Cities for the Ages: London, by Kenneth Hite
    --Setting: London, England, 1589.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, Local Heroes (NPCs), Adventure Seeds. Also a layout of a manor house of the period.
  • Dragon #284: Giants in the Earth: Strangers in Bethlehem, by Thomas Harlin & Katherine Lawrence
    --Setting: Crusader Earth, a d20 Historical Setting.
    --Contents: Important Personages (NPCs: Golonzo di Baratti, Sir Harold Edwinson, Sir Carl Zorn Zugott, Manwys ap Lleidd, Jacopo Ghiarelli, Fingold Torfinson).
  • Dragon #285: Cities of the Ages: Prague, by Kenneth Hite
    --Setting: Prague, Bohemia, 1599.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, Local Heroes (NPCs), Adventure Seeds. Sidebar "Dwarves in the Setting".
  • Dragon #286: Cities of the Ages: Venice, by Kenneth Hite
    --Setting: Venice, Italy, 1320.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, Local Heroes (NPCs), Adventure Seeds. Sidebar: "Venetian Government". Section on Carnevale.
  • Dragon #288: Four Faces of Death: New Death Gods for Your Game, by Steven A. Townshend
    --Setting: Generic Historical.
    --Contents: Religion (Indian Mythos: Yama), Religion (Chinese Mythos: Yan-lo), Religion (Persian Mythos: Ahriman), Religion (Voudun Mythos: Baron Samedi). Sidebars: "Death & Reincarnation" and "Creating Death Mythologies". Detailed discussion of the mythos of four real-world death gods.
  • Dragon #288: Cities of the Ages: Baghdad, by Kenneth Hite
    --Setting: Baghdad, Abassid Caliphate, 800.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map (not keyed), Locations, Local Heroes (NPCs), Adventure Seeds. Sidebar: "Baths".
  • Dragon #289: The History of the Ninja: Black-Clad Assassins, by Dean Poisso
    --Setting: Japan, Pre-Modern Period.
    --Contents: History. Sidebars: "Ninja Concepts", "Selecting Ninja Skills & Feats", "Ninja Weapons".
  • Dragon #289: Cities of the Ages: Paris, by Kenneth Hite
    --Setting: Paris, France, 1248.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, Local Heroes (NPCs), Adventure Seeds.
  • Dragon #290: Cities of the Ages: Novgorod, by Kenneth Hite
    --Setting: Novgorod, Russia, 1241.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, Local Heroes (NPCs), Adventure Seeds. Sidebar: "The Mongol Hordes".
  • Dragon #290: Red Sails: Tempests on the Steppes, by Paul Leach
    --Setting: Eastern Europe, Dark Ages.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, Important Figures (NPCs), Adventure Seeds/Campaigning, Character Options (races), Character Options (classes), Character Options (equipment). Sidebars: "Early Slavic Society", "Eurasian Titles", "The Rus-Byzantine Treaties", "The Ships".
  • Dragon #290: Red Sails: Bright Sun, Mother Earth, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Religion (Pagan Slavic Beliefs), Religion (East European Mythos: Dashbog, Death Crone, Gabija, Jarilo, Jurate, Lunt-Ater, Meness, Mokosh, Perun, Rod, Saule, Stribog, Svantovit, Svarog, Svarozic, Ukko, Volos), Character Options (new spells, new domains: Thunder, Winter). Sidebar: "The Temple at Rugen".
  • Dragon #290: Red Sails: Fell & Forlorn Bestiary: Monsters of Eastern Europe, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Bestiary (fitting in existing monsters), Bestiary (new monsters: Domovoi [Ghost], Leshii, Rusalka, Vila, Vodyanoi).
  • Dungeon #092: Rivers of Blood: Treachery & Vengeance, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Scenario (4th-level). An adventure set in the "Red Sails" setting.
  • Dragon #292: Cities of the Ages: Edo, by Kenneth Hite
    --Setting: Edo, Japan, 1673.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map (not keyed), Locations, Local Heroes (NPCs), Adventure Seeds. Sidebars on the Theater and "Edo in Your Campaign".
I feel like I'm missing a lot here.
Last edited by AlHazred on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:21 pm

3.5TH EDITION D&D HISTORICAL ARTICLES
  • Dragon #318: The Wickedest City in the World: Port Royal, by Shelly Baur
    --Edition: 3.5th edition D&D.
    --Setting: Port Royal, Jamaica, 17th century.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, Characters (NPCs), Adventure Seeds. Sidebars: "The Golden Altar of Panama City", "Booty", "Setting the Pirate Mood". Sections on Ships, Rival Ports to Raid, and Dividing the Booty.
  • Dragon #323: Class Acts: The Thane, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Character Options (class: Fighter subclass). Sidebar: "New Thane Feats: Aura of Bravery, Improved Aid Another, Stalwart". Not specifically tied to a setting, but definitely intended for historical campaigns.
  • Dragon #324: Class Acts: Barbarian Culture, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Flavor. Not specifically tied to a historical setting, but briefly describes barbaric cultures.
  • Dragon #324: Class Acts: Optional Class: Filidh, by Paul Leach
    --Setting: Ireland, Pre-Modern.
    --Contents: Character Options (class: Wizard variant). Good wizard for barbarian societies.
  • Dragon #324: Class Acts: The Historical Holy Knight, by F. Wesley Schneider
    --Setting: European, Pre-Modern.
    --Contents: Flavor. Briefly describes Charlemagne's Peers and the Knights Templar.
  • Dragon #324: Class Acts: Bards from History, by Troy E. Taylor
    --Contents: Flavor. Briefly describes Celtic Bards, Elizabethan Players, Goliards, Gypsy Dancers, Heralds, and Troubadors.
  • Dragon #328: Class Acts: The Roman Legionnaire, by Troy E. Taylor
    --Setting: Rome, Ancient.
    --Contents: Flavor. Sidebar: "Marius' Mules". No specific class mechanics, just discussion and equipment.
  • Dragon #329: The Beasts of Beowulf: More Gore from Lore of Yore, by Nicholas Harold
    --Setting: Geatland, Pre-Modern Period.
    --Contents: Bestiary (new monsters: Grendel, Grendel's Mother), Local Hero (npc: Beowulf). Sidebars: "Dragonskin Bag of Grendel", "Grendel and Grendel's Mother in the Campaign".
  • Dragon #329: Mesopotamian Mythos, by David Schwartz
    --Setting: Mespopotamia, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Mesopotamian Mythos: Adad, Anu, Belet-ili, Ea, Enlil, Ereshkigal, Ishtar, Marduk, Nergal, Ninurta, Shamash, Sin). Sidebar: "Apsu, Tiamat, and the Tablets of Destiny".
  • Dragon #329: The Petit Tarrasque and Other Monsters: A Bestiary of the Real World, by Kyla Ward
    --Contents: Bestiary (variant monsters: Tarrasque, Basilisks and Cockatrices, Gorgons, Medusas, and the Catoblepas, Hags, Leucrotta, Salamanders). Sidebar: "About the Books". No stats, but good discussion of using the original mythical/legendary form of D&D monsters.
  • Dragon #329: Bazaar of the Bizarre: The Stuff of Legends, by Greg Marks
    --Contents: Character Options (magic items: Alatyr, Canola's Harp, Durandal, Fount of Acadine, Kongo, Shedshed, Teeth of the Sown Men, White Buffalo Calf Pipe).Various items from real-world mythologies around the world.
  • Dragon #329: Class Acts: History of the Druids, by Lisa McSherry
    --Setting: British Isles, Ancient.
    --Contents: Flavor. Sidebar: "'Druid' Past and Present". No specific class mechanics, just discussion.
  • Dragon #330: Class Acts: The Celtic Warrior, by Kieran Turley
    --Setting: Europe, Ancient.
    --Contents: Flavor. Sidebar: "'Celtic Feats: Spear Master". No specific class mechanics, just discussion.
  • Dragon #331: Class Acts: Archaic Armaments, by Troy E. Taylor
    --Contents: Character Options (equipment: Atlatl, Hunting Boomerang, Microlith Barbed Longspear, Stone Celt, Stone Handaxe).
  • Dragon #331: Class Acts: Environmental Weapon Lists, by William L. Christensen
    --Contents: Flavor. No specific mechanics, just discussion of druid weapon selection based on culture.
  • Dragon #332: Class Acts: Vision Quests, by Hal Maclean
    --Contents: Character Options (ritual benefit). Appropriate for several ancient historical cultures.
  • Dragon #333: Class Acts: Change of Environs, by Greg Marks
    --Contents: Flavor, Character Options (feats). Brief discussion of barbarians from artic, plains, and underground locales, the first two referencing historical cultures.
  • Dragon #334: Dreams of Arabia: Creatures from Antiquity, by Wolfgang Baur
    --Setting: Akkadia/Arabia/Egypt/Persia, Ancient Period.
    --Contents: Bestiary (new monsters: Asag, Clockwork Eunuch, Flying Monkey, Humbaba, Relief Golem, Simurgh). Sidebar: "Simurgh Tail Feathers".
  • Dragon #334: The Fires of Alchemy: Alchemist's Fire Explored, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Character Options (equipment: Greek Fire).
  • Dragon #334: Class Acts: The Janissary, by Peter von Bleichert
    --Setting: Ottoman Empire, Pre-Modern Era.
    --Contents: Flavor. Sidebar: "Feat: Combat Engineer". No specific mechanics, but a discussion of how to flavor a fighter to be a janissary.
  • Dragon #334: Class Acts: Paladins of the Desert, by Troy E. Taylor
    --Contents: Flavor. Briefly describes Arabian Knights, Egyptian Maryannu, and Sumerian Charioteers.
  • Dragon #334: Class Acts: Disposable Arcana, by Ben Vandgrift
    --Contents: Flavor, Character Options (feats). Discusses alternate scrolls, using Ancient Teutonic/Norse staves, Egyptian canopic jars, and Voodoun powders as examples.
  • Dragon #336: Class Acts: Dark Side Druids, by William L. Christensen
    --Setting: British Isles, Ancient.
    --Contents: Flavor, Character Options (feat). Discusses how to create more historically accurate druids.
  • Dragon #337: Class Acts: Viking Raider, by Paul Leach
    --Setting: Vikings, Pre-Modern Era.
    --Contents: Character Options (class). Sidebar: "New Feat: Seafarer". No specific class mechanics, just discussion.
  • Dragon #337: Class Acts: Standing Orders, by Troy E. Taylor
    --Contents: Flavor. Discusses historical tactical orders.
  • Dragon #338: Class Acts: Giants in the Saddle, by Joe Pitkin
    --Contents: Character Options (class Barbarian variant). Describes historical mounted nomadic folk.
  • Dragon #338: Class Acts: Pikeman, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Flavor. Sidebar: "Feat: Shield and Pike Style [General]". Discusses Macedonian pezetairos and the pikemen.
  • Dragon #342: Class Acts: The Wild Hunt, by William L. Christensen
    --Setting: European, Ancient.
    --Contents: Religion (Master of the Hunt), Character Options (new domains: Hunt, Night; new feat: Frenzied Hunt).
  • Dragon #344: Class Acts: The Anagakok, by Richard Farrese
    --Setting: Inuit, Ancient.
    --Contents: Character Options (class Wizard variant).
  • Dragon #346: Class Acts: Eastern Cataphracts, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Flavor. Briefly describes Early Cataphracts, Sassanid Persian Clibanarius, and Late Roman and Byzantine Cataphracts.
  • Dragon #351: Class Acts: Historical Ninjas, by Paul Leach
    --Setting: Japan, Pre-Modern.
    --Contents: Flavor, Character Options (feats).
  • Dragon #352: Class Acts: Aztec Mythos I, by David Schwartz
    --Setting: Central America, Early Modern Period.
    --Contents: Religion (Aztec Mythos: Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca).
  • Dragon #354: Class Acts: Aztec Mythos II, by David Schwartz
    --Contents: Religion (Aztec Mythos: Chalchihuitlicue, Tlaloc).
  • Dragon #356: Class Acts: Aztec Mythos III, by David Schwartz
    --Contents: Religion (Aztec Mythos: Cihuacoatl, Huitzilopochtli).
  • Dragon #356: Class Acts: Mercenary Companies, by Paul Leach
    --Contents: Character Options (affiliations). Describes Scots-Irish Galloglas and German Landsknecht.
  • Dragon #358: Class Acts: Beyond Kung-Fu, by Jonathan Vespa
    --Setting: Asia, Pre-Modern.
    --Contents: Character Options (class Monk variants). Sidebar: "Exalted Feats". Briefly describes Buddhist Monks, Franciscan Friars, Knights Hospitaller, and Shinto Monks.
  • Dragon #358: Class Acts: Aztec Mythos IV, by David Schwartz
    --Contents: Religion (Aztec Mythos: Tonatiuh, Xipetotec).
  • Online: Class Acts: Aztec Mythos V, by David Schwartz
    --Contents: Religion (Aztec Mythos: Mictlantecuhtli, Xiuhtecuhtli).
  • Online: Class Acts: Aztec Mythos VI, by David Schwartz
    --Contents: Religion (Aztec Mythos: Xochipilli, Lesser Gods [Centeotl, Huehuecoyotl, Ixtliltan, Mayahuel, Mixcoatl, Ometecuhtli, Yacatecuhtli]). Also list of holy symbols.
  • Targum #02: Egypt: The Time of Akhenaten, Part 1, by Scott Bennie
    --Setting: Egypt, 18th Dynasty.
    --Contents: History, Timeline, Major Personalities (NPCs).
  • Targum #04: Kalevala Mythos, by David Schwartz
    --Contents: Religion (Finnish Mythos: Väinämöinen, Ilmarinen, Lemminkäinen, Hiisi, Louhi, Tuoni, Ahti, Ilmatar, Tapio, Ukko). Sidebar: "The Sampo".
  • Targum #04: Egypt: The Time of Akhenaten, Part 2, by Scott Bennie
    --Setting: Egypt, 18th Dynasty.
    --Contents: Lay of the Land, Map with Locations, NPC Templates (NPCs), Adventure Seeds. Sidebar: "Art Feats for Ancient Egypt: Craft Family Art, Craft Divine Art".
Last edited by AlHazred on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

AlHazred
Hobgoblin

Post by AlHazred » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 pm

4TH EDITION D&D HISTORICAL ARTICLES
  • Dragon #368: Fight! Battles in the Gladiatorial Arena by Robert J. Schwalb
    --Edition: 4th edition D&D.
    --Setting: Generic Historical (?).
    --Contents: Flavor. General rules and advice for running gladiatorial matches in D&D 4th edition. No historical references cited.
  • Dragon #368: We, Who Are About to Die... D&D Gladiators by Robert J. Schwalb
    --Edition: 4th edition D&D.
    --Setting: Generic Historical (?).
    --Contents: Character Options (feats, powers, equipment). General rules and advice for creating gladiatorial characters in D&D 4th edition. No historical references cited.
Wow. I can't find many 4E articles that have any kind of historical application. Even the ones above aren't really historical...
ROLAND VOLZ
Local Coordinator

Return to “Other Worlds”