WotC's talislanta-l mailing list and AOL community

"Through a veil of blue mist did I first behold an unknown realm; dreamlike and surreal as if suffused in amber glow."
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

WotC's talislanta-l mailing list and AOL community

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:58 pm

I just saw (on page 2 of Sub-Men Rising) that Wizards of the Coast used to run a bespoke mailing list (called talislanta-l) on their listserv mailing list service.

I also saw that they had a Talislanta folder on their AOL community.

Did anyone here take part in the Talislanta Mailing List or hang out at the AOL community?

How big were the two communities?

Did anything of them get archived? If so, has any of it been put up on Talislanta.com?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

writermonk
Ogre

Re: WotC's talislanta-l mailing list and AOL community

Post by writermonk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 pm

There have been (that I know of) two different Yahoo! groups lists...

As I recall, the initial Y!Group was the original WotC talislanta-l list (or migrated to that?). Then Yahoo did some restructuring of its groups and message board organization and the second Y! group list was made. (Incidentally, it's still up, but it's not necessarily active any longer. Most discussion happens either on individual boards like this, the FB group, reddit, etc.). The Y! list had about 400 accounts connected to it.

Some of the articles that used to be there are still there AND archived on Talislanta.com - mostly under the Fan materials subheadings (there's about 4 or 5 different pages there divided into archetypes, fiction, spells, and so on).

However, at a quick glance, I can tell that there's some stuff that's not there. I'll have to track that down when I've got more time.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:06 pm

Also, the stuff that is 'archived' are simply small bits that were cleaned up and presented as individual usable material, usually by one author.

The actual conversations and discussion threads aren't really saved anywhere (except that one still extant but inactive Y! Group).
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:11 pm

writermonk wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 pm
As I recall, the initial Y!Group was the original WotC talislanta-l list (or migrated to that?). Then Yahoo did some restructuring of its groups and message board organization and the second Y! group list was made. (Incidentally, it's still up, but it's not necessarily active any longer. Most discussion happens either on individual boards like this, the FB group, reddit, etc.). The Y! list had about 400 accounts connected to it.
Interesting.

When I was on one of WotC's other mailing lists (spelljammer-l) it definitely was not run on Yahoo! I think it was called Oracle.

It was a WotC server and eventually they shut it down and deleted mailist postings for lots of D&D campaign settings.

There was no talislanta-l at that time, but they had also pulled the mailing list for Wheel of Time. I'm guessing that if something is licence, WotC gets rid of the fan support, when the licence runs out. (It's one reason I like third-party fan support.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Isn't it a bit odd that WotC ran a forum for a setting they did not own the rights to?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:12 am

Wizards had the license from 1992-94, and sold some older Bard books - I have a copy of A Naturalist's Guide to Talislanta that has Bard Games on the spine and a WotC sticker on the back cover.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:28 am

Yeah, Talislanta and The Primal Order were WotC's first foray's into gaming. They had the licenses for a few years, sold a bunch of books, and then hit on some card game idea and subsequently dropped RPGs to focus on that. Ha! Silly ol' gents.

Then later on, they translated the success of their card game into buying D&D.

Interestingly enough, the man at WotC behind 3rd edition D&D is the same guy who was overseeing the stuff for Talislanta when they owned it. There are some similarities between the two but that only makes sense because they both came out of the same source (Tal grew out of SMS's homebrew stuff for D&D through his Atlantis/Compleat series).

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:42 am

Funnily enough, The Lexicon (for Atlantis) is the only Bard book I have other than the Naturalist's Guide. I think I got it from Lloyd Brown's shop in Jacksonville.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:52 pm
Isn't it a bit odd that WotC ran a forum for a setting they did not own the rights to?
If TSR had not gone down the toilet and if AEG had not come to WotC with a deal to buy both Legend of the Five Rings and Dungeons & Dragons, Wizards of the Coast might have continued to licence and publish Talislanta products.

Aside from these old mailing lists potentially giving us an insight into early Talislanta fandom, they could have perhaps given us an insight into how Wizards of the Coast operated, before the D&D buy out and the need to focus on launching a new set of rules that both D&D and Legend of the Five Rings could migrate to.

SMS's world helped make WotC what they needed to be to buy out TSR.

I might have to go look for the Yahoo group that Writermonk mentioned. It might help explain how the big picture worked.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm
Havard wrote:
If TSR had not gone down the toilet and if AEG had not come to WotC with a deal to buy both Legend of the Five Rings and Dungeons & Dragons, Wizards of the Coast might have continued to licence and publish Talislanta products.
Sorry, are you saying AEG owned the rights to Talislanta at the time? Or are you simply mentioning AEG as an example of WotC's desires to expand?

From the Wikipedia page it does seem like WotC published at least one supplement for Talislanta, but the article a bit confusing.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:52 pm

WotC published a few Talislanta titles while they had the rights - everything for Tal 3 is all WotC.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:41 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm
Havard wrote:
Sorry, are you saying AEG owned the rights to Talislanta at the time? Or are you simply mentioning AEG as an example of WotC's desires to expand?

From the Wikipedia page it does seem like WotC published at least one supplement for Talislanta, but the article a bit confusing.
Sorry, it was the Five Rings Publishing Group (an AEG spin-off) that brokered the deal that got WotC to take over D&D from TSR.

AEG/Five Rings Publishing Group had nothing to do with Talislanta.

What I'm saying is that WotC were doing Talislanta first...and then along came Ryan S Dancey with a deal to buy TSR (D&D) and Five Rings Publishing Group (Legend of the Five Rings).

I'm not sure of the exact timing, but WotC would have had to have diverted most of it's RPG designers away from other projects in order to have enough people to work on D&D.

EDIT: Lets see if we can work it out.

WotC announced it was buying TSR in April 1997.

The 3rd Edition (Talislanta) product Sarista was published in 1994.

Anyhoo the RPG Geek page for Talislanta 3rd Edition says this:
RPG Geek wrote:The third edition of the Talislanta game originally developed in 1998 by Stephen Michael Sechi. This version was published by the newly created company Wizards of the Coast who sold back the rights when they picked up Dungeons and Dragons instead.
So the timeline is something along the lines of:
  • SMS invents Talislanta,
  • SMS gets too busy with his day job (music) and does a deal with WotC where they create Talislanta products
  • Five Rings Publishing Group find out that TSR is in trouble
  • FIve Rings Publishing Group get WotC to buy both TSR and Five Rings Publishing Group.
  • WotC stop making Talislanta products and start making D&D and Legend of the Five Rings products.
  • SMS has to find another company to publish 4th Edition Talislanta
The main point I was trying to make was that if Ryan Dancey from AEG/FIve Rings Publishing Group had not come along, Wizards of the Coast might have continued to create Talislanta products (and someone else might have bought D&D).

writermonk
Ogre

Post by writermonk » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Having lived through those times, they're not quite as tight as all of that.

The 3rd edition Tal book came out in early 1992.

SMS started Tal with his home gaming group (similarly, the old Atlantis setting, the Compleat books, etc all came from those early games at home).
Tal was first published by Bard Games - a company that SMS was heavily a part of/invested in. However, it wasn't his 'day job' as it were. Bard Games published 1st edition in 1987. Those early books were fairly loose and intended in part to be an overlay for D&D.

Bard games also handled the 2nd edition in 1989, but went under not too long thereafter. (As an aside, Bard games not only advertised in Dragon magazine, but also the early White Wolf magazine that was started by some of the founders of the White Wolf game studio.)

WotC took over the Tal license in the early 90s. They published both Tal (3rd edition, early 1992) as well as The Primal Order - a multi-system supplement written so that folks could flesh out or even play pantheons in their RPG of choice). Jonathan Tweet was the head guy at WotC handling 3rd ed Tal.
Adkinson, head of WotC had been introduced to the Magic: the Gathering card game around this same time, but decided that the company did not yet have the resources to take it on. A year later, by mid/late 1993, things changed. (Also during this time a lawsuit involving The Primal Order was settled; perhaps freeing the path for the unrelated property, M:tG)

By 1995, WotC decided that it was losing money on its RPG lines (they had taken on at least SLA Industries and Ars Magica by this point), and sold off everything RPG related to focus on MtG.

97 was when WotC decided to get back into the RPG biz with the acquisition of TSR. Incidentally, Jonathan Tweet was still at WotC and headed up 3rd edition D&D. There ARE some similarities in the systems - however, they both grew from the same roots, so that's to be expected.

Now, during this same time frame (95-97), since WotC did not renew their license (or just let it lapse), Tal was up for grabs. A company called Plaid Rabbit/Pharos press bought the license with the intention of doing a 10th anniversary edition, but that never actually went anywhere. A small print run of ash-can copies were made and some found their way into the hands of fans, but they were never commercially sold.

Tal fans who had worked on the Pharos edition (or written things on their own) published the much beloved Tal 4 (the big blue book) around 2001. The primary two guys who did this did it under the auspices of their web-design company, Shooting Iron. Incidentally, those two guys were John Harper and Jonathan Elliot - they've gone on to some awesome other game stuff. These fans rolled the profits from Tal 4 into the Midnight Realms supplement in 2003, but at the time, they weren't ready to be game designers full time.

From 2004 til 2008, Morrigan Press had the license, producing Tal 5. However, Morrigan's financials in hindsight appear to have been shaky for much of the run which led to a rapidly dwindling staff so that when the books that were released did come out, they were riddled with errors, typos, and c/p errors from previous editions.

In 2010, the vast majority of the past books went 'public' in the sense that you can download them for personal use, free of charge.

From 2015-til now, work on Talislanta: the Savage Land was underway, with the books ultimately being produced by Stewart Wieck's Nocturnal Media publishing house (Stewart, it should be noted was one of the original producers/writers for the White Wolf magazine - thus bringing the game in a widening gyre).

Return to “Talislanta”