Tyranthraxus- his motivations and identity

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Lord Zack
Orc

Tyranthraxus- his motivations and identity

Post by Lord Zack » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:42 pm

There is a post over on the Facebook group Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition that I think people here can help with. Here, but I think you need to be a member of the group to view it, so I have quoted it here.
So I have a villain, and I cannot come up with a plot that doesn't just sound cliche.

This villain is actually Tyranthraxus, I first encountered him as a historical reference in an AL module. In that module, he's a creaturethat stole the body of an Ancient Bronze Dragon, and was defeated by a group of adventurers. The lore Icouuld pull from the wiki suggested he was a yugoloth, with that unique mind stealing power. I've made him an Arcanaloth, who has ended up in the body of an elf.

I know generally what happens, story-wise, but I cannot for the life of me think of what an arcanaloth would want. They're mercenary, based on the general yugoloth description, but this one wants SOMETHING. I could go ancient magic stuff, like forbidden magic, or a lost civilization, but that seems stereotypical. He might just want to carve out his own nation, but that seems.. flat to me. He also seems too powerful to have been hired by someone, he stole the body of an ancient bronze dragon.

Does anyone have any ideas, or any lore, or resources, whatever really, that might help me out?
So anybody have any ideas?

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Re: Tyranthraxus- his motivations and identity

Post by ghendar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 pm

No ideas personally. The only time I encountered Tyranthraxus was in the old NES port of the Pool of Radiance PC game. However, a google search comes up with many hits on Tyranthraxus

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tyranth ... e&ie=UTF-8
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:27 pm

The evidence that Tyranthraxus is a yugoloth mostly boils down to the adventure Curse of Azure Bonds, which refers to him as a "daemon" (page 3).

The 'loths are much more than mere mercenaries. They seek nothing less than the multiverse itself under their heel. The arcanaloths contract lesser yugoloths out as mercenaries in fiendish armies because it's a way to draw other races of fiends into contracts with them, and thus bring them under their control. This doesn't mean they tend toward law: the tanar'ri don't care about contracts as such, but hiring yugoloth mercenaries makes them dependent on those mercenaries, willing to do what they need to to keep them on their side during crucial battles. For 'loths, it's always ultimately about manipulation and control, whether by lawful or chaotic means, making deals or breaking them.

This is especially true for Tyranthraxus. Curse of Azure Bonds said, "And Tyranthraxus sees the new bonding process as a way that he can create multiple, living Pools of Radiance, allowing him to possess several individuals at once and control them for his own ends. His rise in power thereafter will be exponential as his influence spreads, creating his own army of minions whose souls belong to him." Basically he's looking for a way to possess everyone, make everyone an extension of himself. Everyone. The whole of the multiverse, dancing on the strings of Tyranthraxus, master of puppets.

But 'loths are always aware that they're not at the top of the food chain. Regardless of how strong they get, there's always something above them—the force of Evil itself, and even the most potent of them are only puppets on Evil's strings.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:42 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:27 pm
Basically he's looking for a way to possess everyone, make everyone an extension of himself. Everyone.
"You are all my children. And you are lost, because you follow blind leaders. But I am here now. I am here, for you."

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Post by Seethyr » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I always thought that Big T might actually be some form of advanced and evolved Baernaloth, but the Tome of Foes actually mentions him by name now as an Elder Evil.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:39 am

Ruins of Adventures and Curse of the Azure Bonds both gave detail on who Tyranthraxus was. And the Ad&d pool of Radiance novel wasn't too bad there too
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Cromstar
Kobold

Post by Cromstar » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:53 am

Rip is right that there's more to yugos than just being mercs. In this particular case, the biggest reason for him to be running this possession game would likely be to get around limitations on fiends being on mortal worlds. Possession frees him up to be more active and direct in the world.

Possible things he could be doing:
-Trying to carve out his own kingdom for his personal gain
-Trying to find corruptable souls of mortals, since they have great value on the lower planes
-Just avoiding the Blood War
-Spreading evil for entertainment. "I like it, therefore I do it." Yuogoloths can be committed to the philosophy of evil for it's own sake.
-It's part of the Blood War...either he's thwarting a plan by one of the two sides, or he's trying to find a way to bring the Blood War to the world

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:11 pm

The "Tyranthraxus" article at Forgotten Realms Wiki has a list of sources. Your friend should start there.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 am

Based on a post from Ed on candlekeep I related Tyranthraxus to the trio nefarious.

The gist of Eds post was that the trio nefarious were yugoloths that had gained the ability to swap bodies from a powerful patron. Moreover there were originally four yugoloths in the group and the trio overpowered the leader (4th member) incapacitated him and kept him in stasis so he could not possess another body.

The parallels between possessing yugoloths and tyranthraxus and the link to netherils time was to big for me to ignore so I made Tyranthraxus the fourth member of the trio nefarious.

He remained in stasis in Netheril until the phaerimm magic drain ended his stasis and he fled only to be bound to the Dark Three somehow.

His transformation into a pure possessing spirit happened later when a Dragon known as Embrurshaille attempted to transcend the limitations of her body by using a powerful ritual. This ritual drained all magic and life from 'the region now known as Thar. Tyranthraxus was on the edge of the ritual radius near Thar and he was drained but not completely. His body was destroyed but his spirit persisted and he became what he is today.

That's how I span it anyway.

Lord Zack
Orc

Post by Lord Zack » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Interesting.

I personally know that Yugoloths are far more than mercinaries, but it seems that element has been emphasized recently.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Lord Zack wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:54 pm
Interesting.

I personally know that Yugoloths are far more than mercinaries, but it seems that element has been emphasized recently.
A YT video I just saw described Gehenna as "the plane of avarice", which was an interesting take on it. I'm not sure that actually matches the lore, but I might prefer to move in that direction (well, except that I reflavored the Nine Hells as being based around the Seven Deadly Sins, so Greed is pretty well covered there, and thus I'd probably move my Yugoloths away from the mercenary thing instead).

Return to “Forgotten Realms”