Under the Dark Fist now in POD

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Post Reply
User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6233
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by night_druid » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm

Under the Dark Fist is now available in Print on Demand format at drivethrurpg.

Under the Dark Fist

I have mixed feelings about UtDF. I'm not fond of the adventure itself, but it does have potential as a framework to build a campaign around. I think it suffers from power creep, and yet at the same time it really needed more powerful antagonists (if that makes sense). In a nutshell, the "bosses" of the empire are a little on the disappointing side, while they command armies in the tens of millions with thousands or millions of ships. They should have explored the horror aspects of the Vodoni more, I think, and incorporate more horror elements & creatures such as flesh golems, other lycanthrope types, and the like.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23844
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm

night_druid wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm
Under the Dark Fist is now available in Print on Demand format at drivethrurpg.

Under the Dark Fist
Yay!

Under the Dark Fist is also on DMs Guild and RPG Now (in case anyone prefers to use one of those storefronts).

Also the Book-House page for SJA4 Under the Dark Fist has a link to resources (the deckplans are the most useful at the moment - more will be added later, if/when I find out about them).
night_druid wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm
I have mixed feelings about UtDF. I'm not fond of the adventure itself, but it does have potential as a framework to build a campaign around. I think it suffers from power creep, and yet at the same time it really needed more powerful antagonists (if that makes sense). In a nutshell, the "bosses" of the empire are a little on the disappointing side, while they command armies in the tens of millions with thousands or millions of ships. They should have explored the horror aspects of the Vodoni more, I think, and incorporate more horror elements & creatures such as flesh golems, other lycanthrope types, and the like.
I have mixed feelings about Under the Dark Fist too.

Many of the spheres in the Vodoni Empire make little sense. Either they are uninhabited/uninhabitable and of no apparent strategic use (except perhaps to get people from one part of the SJ universe to another) or they just don't have any useful detail. A smaller empire, with a bunch of races that could be recruited to join a rebellion would have been a lot better.

Having said that, Under the Dark Fist is a major storyline in the Spelljammer timeline, with opposing factions uniting to tackle the threat. So the events of SJA4 should have influenced later products.

I think that SJA4 needs a bit of TLC, with each Vodoni Empire sphere getting a backstory for the time before the empire takeover that works well as well as additional backstory that makes the sphere into something worth visiting during the era of the empire.

And it should be possible for people to fight the empire in a long war of attrition, if they fail to "chop off the head" of the empire.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6233
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by night_druid » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm
Many of the spheres in the Vodoni Empire make little sense. Either they are uninhabited/uninhabitable and of no apparent strategic use (except perhaps to get people from one part of the SJ universe to another) or they just don't have any useful detail. A smaller empire, with a bunch of races that could be recruited to join a rebellion would have been a lot better.
Part of the problem is that some of the spheres feel more like planets. Gorth, Thaisa, Kra'aken, Salzar, and even Zalani all feel like they should just be planets, not spheres in their own right. Were I to run a Vodoni game, I'd slim the Empire down to 3 spheres: Vodoni (mostly unchanged), Vodonika (combining Vodonika, Gorth, Zalani, Passar, Theisa, & Kra'aken), and Vergon (combining Golot, Kofu, Salzar, Lost, & Vergon). The Empire's military is much smaller as a result; fewer ships, with a feudal system of Breeder lords & Enforcer knights ruling over a population from Dracula-esque castles. There are many noble houses (hundreds), and several royal houses (all distantly related to the Emperor) who constantly bicker & feud. "Purges" of these houses is not uncommon as small wars break out over the smallest slights; never enough to threaten the Empire or even the Houses overall health, but these wars might see dozens to hundreds of minor nobles die along with thousands of dandies and countless citizens caught in the cross-fire.
Having said that, Under the Dark Fist is a major storyline in the Spelljammer timeline, with opposing factions uniting to tackle the threat. So the events of SJA4 should have influenced later products.
Almost everything done in the SJ line was done in a vacuum. Almost nothing affected anything else, aside from maybe Goblin's Return/Heart of the Enemy.
And it should be possible for people to fight the empire in a long war of attrition, if they fail to "chop off the head" of the empire.
With UtDF, I see a fat sourcebook (100,000 words, 196 pages; think some of the later FR books like Empires of the Shining Sea) with a set of modules attached to it (3-4) in alphabet-module style. In my perfect universe, that is. ;) The Vodoni shouldn't be a quick, one and done fight. It should have been a long war to begin with. With multiple ways to end the war. Such as:

* Kill the emperor (meh)
* The emperor gets bored and moves on to other challenges
* The Empire realizes that conquering the PCs home spheres (don't tie it directly to the Radiant Triangle) is not worth the effort
* Rebellion in the Empire forces them to withdraw (for now)
* Internal strife within the various houses force a withdrawal (similar to Rebellion, but in the nobility, not commoners)
* PCs find a way to disrupt the flow river to the Empire, severing the route between it and their home spheres
* The Empire was never at war; the "war" was in fact a feud between two (or more) houses, the PCs just got caught in the crossfire. The Empire as a whole ignores the PCs' home spheres.
* The war was just probing the PC's home spheres' defenses. The Empire decides war is unprofitable, and turns to trade instead.
* The Empire discovers a greater threat, such as neogi or illithids, and turns their attention away from war with the home spheres.

Good gawd I didn't think that list would go so long! :o
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 pm

night_druid wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm
I have mixed feelings about UtDF. I'm not fond of the adventure itself, but it does have potential as a framework to build a campaign around.
Yeah, it's the frame work for a campaign, but as an adventure on its own it is very blah.
night_druid wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm
I think it suffers from power creep, and yet at the same time it really needed more powerful antagonists (if that makes sense). In a nutshell, the "bosses" of the empire are a little on the disappointing side, while they command armies in the tens of millions with thousands or millions of ships. They should have explored the horror aspects of the Vodoni more, I think, and incorporate more horror elements & creatures such as flesh golems, other lycanthrope types, and the like.
I agree. The Vodoni military, and its dependence on werewolves needs to be far better explained.
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm
Having said that, Under the Dark Fist is a major storyline in the Spelljammer timeline, with opposing factions uniting to tackle the threat. So the events of SJA4 should have influenced later products.
But they don't, not that I can tell which leaves it as a one off. The Vodoni are simply never mentioned again.
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm
I think that SJA4 needs a bit of TLC, with each Vodoni Empire sphere getting a backstory for the time before the empire takeover that works well as well as additional backstory that makes the sphere into something worth visiting during the era of the empire.
I think it can be used as background without doing much more then expanding the ships and crews. In many ways, instead of fighting SJA4 as an adventure, if you just use the Vodoni as raiders, like Pirates of Gith or Neogi the module makes more sense.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by GMWestermeyer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 pm

night_druid wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm
Part of the problem is that some of the spheres feel more like planets. Gorth, Thaisa, Kra'aken, Salzar, and even Zalani all feel like they should just be planets, not spheres in their own right. Were I to run a Vodoni game, I'd slim the Empire down to 3 spheres: Vodoni (mostly unchanged), Vodonika (combining Vodonika, Gorth, Zalani, Passar, Theisa, & Kra'aken), and Vergon (combining Golot, Kofu, Salzar, Lost, & Vergon). The Empire's military is much smaller as a result; fewer ships, with a feudal system of Breeder lords & Enforcer knights ruling over a population from Dracula-esque castles. There are many noble houses (hundreds), and several royal houses (all distantly related to the Emperor) who constantly bicker & feud. "Purges" of these houses is not uncommon as small wars break out over the smallest slights; never enough to threaten the Empire or even the Houses overall health, but these wars might see dozens to hundreds of minor nobles die along with thousands of dandies and countless citizens caught in the cross-fire.
It would be a great pdf, detailing the Vodoni. I wouldn't reduce the spheres, many of them are really on claimed in name alone. :) But I do like your other thoughts. I would absolutely make the military smaller, and the feudal idea makes sense - especially given the alignment of the enforcers.

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6233
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by night_druid » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:14 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 pm
I agree. The Vodoni military, and its dependence on werewolves needs to be far better explained.
I think they did that with Breeders. But then again, Enforcers are 7 HD brutes; a single enforcer could chew through a small party of low-levels no problem, and could even give a 5th level PC trouble. I kinda see Enforcers are pretty rare; a typical warship should probably only have a few aboard with a few breeders, the rest being normal crewmen. A ship of 60 of them...yikes. That'd be danged scary even to a fully-loaded ogre mammoth.
But they don't, not that I can tell which leaves it as a one off. The Vodoni are simply never mentioned again.
They don't mention any of the SRA series ever again. They don't link together, they don't have an overall plot, and they sorta take place in their own spheres, away from the Radiant Triangle. They can be woven together into a campaign but there's nothing in the books that really suggest that or provide help on doing so. All in all, I'd almost say TSR was ashamed of them, in some small way. Which is a shame; each had potential, if they had reigned in the authors and gone less "silly overpowered" and gave us more meat.
I think it can be used as background without doing much more then expanding the ships and crews. In many ways, instead of fighting SJA4 as an adventure, if you just use the Vodoni as raiders, like Pirates of Gith or Neogi the module makes more sense.
In so many ways a Vodoni Sourcebook would have been so much more useful. They could be raiders. Or even merchants (aggressive merchants). Or just another place to adventure. Nothing says the evil empire need be a completely closed society where adventures are slain on sight. With a little political intrigue, one house could welcome and even sponsor adventurers of less than entirely scrupulous morals to undermine their rivals. ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6233
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by night_druid » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:15 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 pm
It would be a great pdf, detailing the Vodoni. I wouldn't reduce the spheres, many of them are really on claimed in name alone. :) But I do like your other thoughts. I would absolutely make the military smaller, and the feudal idea makes sense - especially given the alignment of the enforcers.
I've got notes on that sort of thing, although nothing even approaching a working outline, and probably nothing more than a few pages, at best. One day I need to compile them into at least an outline.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23844
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:49 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm
Having said that, Under the Dark Fist is a major storyline in the Spelljammer timeline, with opposing factions uniting to tackle the threat. So the events of SJA4 should have influenced later products.
But they don't, not that I can tell which leaves it as a one off. The Vodoni are simply never mentioned again.
Exactly.

Given the threat level that just does not make sense.
GMWestermeyer wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:26 pm
I think that SJA4 needs a bit of TLC, with each Vodoni Empire sphere getting a backstory for the time before the empire takeover that works well as well as additional backstory that makes the sphere into something worth visiting during the era of the empire.
I think it can be used as background without doing much more then expanding the ships and crews. In many ways, instead of fighting SJA4 as an adventure, if you just use the Vodoni as raiders, like Pirates of Gith or Neogi the module makes more sense.
I think that there needs to be some foreshadowing for SJA4, put into a game before the adventure is run.

Maybe the PCs could find a destroyed Vodoni ship and take the figurehead off of what is left of the ship, thinking that it might be magical.

Perhaps the PCs could travel to one of the spheres of the Vodoni Empire shortly before it is invaded.

Perhaps the PCs could hear rumors of werewolf pirates long before they actually meet the Vodoni.

And there is no point in having all those crystal spheres if there is no reason for the PCs to go and visit them. :)

I'm not sure how the Vodoni invasion could fit with the Second Unhuman War. I'll have to check what products were published when, but if the Vodoni invasion caused the Elven Navy to pull away from key space orc worlds, that could give the scro time to get ships and helms onto those worlds and to get the space orcs back into Wildspace. :twisted:

Other factions (like the Mind Flayers) could also be looking for the Elves to make mistakes that could allow them to reestablish parts of their former empire. :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23844
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:51 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 pm
night_druid wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm
Part of the problem is that some of the spheres feel more like planets. Gorth, Thaisa, Kra'aken, Salzar, and even Zalani all feel like they should just be planets, not spheres in their own right. Were I to run a Vodoni game, I'd slim the Empire down to 3 spheres: Vodoni (mostly unchanged), Vodonika (combining Vodonika, Gorth, Zalani, Passar, Theisa, & Kra'aken), and Vergon (combining Golot, Kofu, Salzar, Lost, & Vergon). The Empire's military is much smaller as a result; fewer ships, with a feudal system of Breeder lords & Enforcer knights ruling over a population from Dracula-esque castles. There are many noble houses (hundreds), and several royal houses (all distantly related to the Emperor) who constantly bicker & feud. "Purges" of these houses is not uncommon as small wars break out over the smallest slights; never enough to threaten the Empire or even the Houses overall health, but these wars might see dozens to hundreds of minor nobles die along with thousands of dandies and countless citizens caught in the cross-fire.
It would be a great pdf, detailing the Vodoni. I wouldn't reduce the spheres, many of them are really on claimed in name alone. :) But I do like your other thoughts. I would absolutely make the military smaller, and the feudal idea makes sense - especially given the alignment of the enforcers.
I wouldn't reduce them either.

There is little enough Spelljammer canon, as it is. I'd rather build more content than cut stuff back.

But to each his or her own. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
nerik
Bionoid
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 am
Gender: male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by nerik » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:08 pm

I think Under the Dark Fist should have been a full-on boxed set.

1 book is the campaign
1 book is a gazetter of the empire's spheres
Ship cards
Map cards (1 per sphere)
Big old paper map of the whole empire
Carstock ship stand-ups

...the works!

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6233
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by night_druid » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:55 pm

I hesitate on boxed set solely because boxed sets tended to have low word-count per page. I'd want it to be jam-packed ala the later 2e FR products ;)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

User avatar
night_druid
Radiant Dragon
Posts: 6233
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:08 pm
Gender: male

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by night_druid » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:51 pm
I wouldn't reduce them either.

There is little enough Spelljammer canon, as it is. I'd rather build more content than cut stuff back.

But to each his or her own. :)
Not so much cutting back as those spheres, as presented, are damned thin on anything really interesting. Some are just "here's a one-note planet. Nothing else interesting in the sphere. And even the planet given reads more like a moon or something." If you combined it all together you might actually get an interesting sphere or three.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm
Gender: male
Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm

night_druid wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:01 pm
Not so much cutting back as those spheres, as presented, are damned thin on anything really interesting. Some are just "here's a one-note planet. Nothing else interesting in the sphere. And even the planet given reads more like a moon or something." If you combined it all together you might actually get an interesting sphere or three.
I would still leave them as spheres, and focus on the idea that spheres are large, the Empire's 'control' of 12 spheres is largely a fiction, many of the spheres probably have more going on then is listed. They could be expanded a bit. :)

User avatar
nerik
Bionoid
Posts: 450
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 am
Gender: male
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by nerik » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm
night_druid wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:01 pm
Not so much cutting back as those spheres, as presented, are damned thin on anything really interesting. Some are just "here's a one-note planet. Nothing else interesting in the sphere. And even the planet given reads more like a moon or something." If you combined it all together you might actually get an interesting sphere or three.
I would still leave them as spheres, and focus on the idea that spheres are large, the Empire's 'control' of 12 spheres is largely a fiction, many of the spheres probably have more going on then is listed. They could be expanded a bit. :)
Most, IIRC, got a single paragraph of description - they could stand to be expanded more than just a little. :mrgreen:

One sphere, IIRC, was a null-magic sphere, how did he conquer that one?

Jaid
Fire Giant
Posts: 1129
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:26 am

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Jaid » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 pm

i dunno, it doesn't seem to make much sense to go off to a new sphere with your conquering fleets if you don't even really have control of spheres where you already have a presence, unless your goal is something other than controlling spheres (it makes sense for trade, for example, because you can find new markets, new and more profitable trade routes, etc... but if you're looking to control territory, picking a fight in a new sphere is going to cost a lot of resources and add a whole lot of enemies).

User avatar
AuldDragon
White Dragon
Posts: 2175
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 am
Gender: male
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 am

Much of of the empire is *explicitly* Vulkaran's just because he says so, rather than having conquered it in an extended war. Golot is essentially a tributary, where the dragons (who rule the humanoids) are too divided to mount a counterattack that would break them free; it's possible the humanoids don't even know the dragons are tributaries of the Vodoni. Gorth has no known sentient life, meaning there is no one to dispute his claim of dominion. The "drow" of Kofuspace are peaceful agrarians, and weren't able to mount a defense (and can't now), so Vulkaran didn't need to try very hard to conquer them; it's quite possible there's also many "bubbles" that his forces have not even been to, where the residents aren't even aware they've been "conquered." Similarly, the Kra'aken are pacifists, and so they didn't mount a defense of their sphere; a good addition to the details would be that they work to undermine Vulkaran slowly with their mental powers. Lostspace is a ruin, so there was no one to defend the sphere. Passarspace has no life, so again, there was nothing to defend against Vulkaran's claim. Salzarspace has no spelljamming creatures, and is magic-dead. There's nothing to dispute his claim to the sphere. Thasiaspace is again another one where there's no spelljamming presence to dispute his claim, even though he can't actually conquer the natives. Vergonspace is Vulkaran's simply because he supplies all the warring factions with weapons, keeping them fighting each other rather than fighting Vulkaran. Zalanispace is yet another sphere of peaceful people who couldn't put up much of a fight. Many of the systems with peaceful populaces probably have governments created by Vulkaran, so they rule in ways that are acceptable to him.

There's enough on each sphere to expand them if a DM wishes to do so. Obviously it would be a lot of work, and more information would be really helpful, but other than the two spheres are are essentially empty, the rest could definitely make interesting campaign locations.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Jaid
Fire Giant
Posts: 1129
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:26 am

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Jaid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 am

see, that's what gets me. if there are places that you don't control in spheres where you know people can't fight back effectively, why would you go off to some other place? you already have easy targets, and the resources to increase your control there are already in place. why would you stretch your supply lines by another 100+ days to go somewhere else?

then again, i suppose the abundance of total pushover crystal spheres in that area may be what drove that decision... frankly, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that in the aftermath the mind flayers (and to a lesser extent the neoghi, once they get their fleet back in order) move into those spheres in a big way to take advantage of the pathetically weak resistance; the elves lost a lot and probably won't be able to stop them effectively, and nobody else is likely to care. so that's how i would have the story go forward from the events in the adventure... with the vodoni fleets defeated, there are now an assortment of smaller fleets with poor organization scrambling to grab control for themselves of whatever they can get their hands on, and unable to control nearly as much of it... with the mind flayers and neoghi making significant gains for themselves (again, with probably the mind flayers gaining the upper hand because their fleet was on the winning side, while the neoghi were on the losing side and were probably extra-hated for betraying the other members of the fleet).

User avatar
AuldDragon
White Dragon
Posts: 2175
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 am
Gender: male
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:26 am

Jaid wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 am
see, that's what gets me. if there are places that you don't control in spheres where you know people can't fight back effectively, why would you go off to some other place? you already have easy targets, and the resources to increase your control there are already in place. why would you stretch your supply lines by another 100+ days to go somewhere else?
But those that can't fight back *are* effectively under his control. He can take what he wants from them, when he wants. His empire extends there simply because he is willing to make the claim and it isn't contested.

A good long-running campaign with Under the Dark Fist as the backdrop would be to teach some of those pushover spheres the importance of a decent self-defense force, IMO. The Zalani would make for good leaders in that group, IMO.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Jaid
Fire Giant
Posts: 1129
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:26 am

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Jaid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:03 am

AuldDragon wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:26 am
Jaid wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 am
see, that's what gets me. if there are places that you don't control in spheres where you know people can't fight back effectively, why would you go off to some other place? you already have easy targets, and the resources to increase your control there are already in place. why would you stretch your supply lines by another 100+ days to go somewhere else?
But those that can't fight back *are* effectively under his control. He can take what he wants from them, when he wants. His empire extends there simply because he is willing to make the claim and it isn't contested.

A good long-running campaign with Under the Dark Fist as the backdrop would be to teach some of those pushover spheres the importance of a decent self-defense force, IMO. The Zalani would make for good leaders in that group, IMO.

Jeff
i have serious doubts that he has anywhere *near* the infrastructure required to fully exploit those spheres, and even more doubt that he has genuinely fully conquered them; to control one earth-sized planet alone would likely require many millions of troops to be able to take on a planet full of pacifists, never mind that they likely won't stay pacifists forever (or at least, not all of them). to control even a single asteroid belt and exploit it (ie have enough ships to patrol them regularly etc) is going to require major investments.

he might control the biggest population centres in the sphere... and even then, probably not all of them because new ones not under his control must be popping up on a regular basis. and many of the spheres has has are largely empty of people to conquer, and will need major development, but likely also have bountiful resources (like precious metal deposits and such).

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23844
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:58 pm

nerik wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:08 pm
I think Under the Dark Fist should have been a full-on boxed set.

1 book is the campaign
1 book is a gazetter of the empire's spheres
Ship cards
Map cards (1 per sphere)
Big old paper map of the whole empire
Carstock ship stand-ups

...the works!
...and...
night_druid wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:55 pm
I hesitate on boxed set solely because boxed sets tended to have low word-count per page. I'd want it to be jam-packed ala the later 2e FR products ;)
I kind of agree with Nerik here.

Under the Dark Fist should have been a boxed set that brought in a new "era" if not "edition" of Spelljammer. As well as the sort of thing that Nerik spoke about for a boxed set I would want a third book with new monsters and races in it.

And on top of that, there should have been at least three connected adventure "SJF" modules and a trilogy of novels with a parallel (but not identical) plot.

This would have been a great way to play out a long campaign where this empire bumps into the Known Spheres and starts working on a plan to invade them one by one.

Ideally, TSR could have created some expendable "fringe spheres" in the area between the Known Spheres and the Vodoni Empire, so that the Vodoni Empire could actually start to take over control of some of the worlds that the Rock of Bral trades with during the campaign. Having a ship return to Bral with a half-starved crew and foul air, after turning back from a run to pick up rosewood from the Orchard Asteroids in Redshirtspace might motivate trading companies on Bral to back an attempt to deal with the Vodoni.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23844
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:02 pm

nerik wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm
One sphere, IIRC, was a null-magic sphere, how did he conquer that one?
That does seem a bit bonkers.

Perhaps some of the spheres in the Vodoni Empire were on routes from one side of the empire to the other side of the empire and it was more a matter that the Vodoni needed to find a way to navigate through them. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23844
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Jaid wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 pm
i dunno, it doesn't seem to make much sense to go off to a new sphere with your conquering fleets if you don't even really have control of spheres where you already have a presence, unless your goal is something other than controlling spheres (it makes sense for trade, for example, because you can find new markets, new and more profitable trade routes, etc... but if you're looking to control territory, picking a fight in a new sphere is going to cost a lot of resources and add a whole lot of enemies).
An empire where you turn your warriors into creatures similar to warewolves doesn't seem to make much sense either.

Having some flaws in the Vodoni Empire is something that the PCs could exploit, to try to liberate some of the spheres.

Maybe you could run it in a similar way to the Points of Light concept that 4e D&D had.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23844
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

AuldDragon wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 am
Much of of the empire is *explicitly* Vulkaran's just because he says so, rather than having conquered it in an extended war. Golot is essentially a tributary, where the dragons (who rule the humanoids) are too divided to mount a counterattack that would break them free; it's possible the humanoids don't even know the dragons are tributaries of the Vodoni. Gorth has no known sentient life, meaning there is no one to dispute his claim of dominion. The "drow" of Kofuspace are peaceful agrarians, and weren't able to mount a defense (and can't now), so Vulkaran didn't need to try very hard to conquer them; it's quite possible there's also many "bubbles" that his forces have not even been to, where the residents aren't even aware they've been "conquered." Similarly, the Kra'aken are pacifists, and so they didn't mount a defense of their sphere; a good addition to the details would be that they work to undermine Vulkaran slowly with their mental powers. Lostspace is a ruin, so there was no one to defend the sphere. Passarspace has no life, so again, there was nothing to defend against Vulkaran's claim. Salzarspace has no spelljamming creatures, and is magic-dead. There's nothing to dispute his claim to the sphere. Thasiaspace is again another one where there's no spelljamming presence to dispute his claim, even though he can't actually conquer the natives. Vergonspace is Vulkaran's simply because he supplies all the warring factions with weapons, keeping them fighting each other rather than fighting Vulkaran. Zalanispace is yet another sphere of peaceful people who couldn't put up much of a fight. Many of the systems with peaceful populaces probably have governments created by Vulkaran, so they rule in ways that are acceptable to him.

There's enough on each sphere to expand them if a DM wishes to do so. Obviously it would be a lot of work, and more information would be really helpful, but other than the two spheres are are essentially empty, the rest could definitely make interesting campaign locations.
OK, I'm sold.

When is the Company of the Broken Sword going there? ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23844
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Jaid wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 am
see, that's what gets me. if there are places that you don't control in spheres where you know people can't fight back effectively, why would you go off to some other place? you already have easy targets, and the resources to increase your control there are already in place. why would you stretch your supply lines by another 100+ days to go somewhere else?
I'd say this mostly comes down to groundlings not having access to spelljamming ships.

You don't need to make all of the nations pathetically weak in order to let the Vodoni win. You just have to strand most of them at the bottom of a gravity well and have the Vodoni choose the places where they want to land and raid.

If there are any native spacefarers in a sphere and if there are inhabited asteroids that have ships, it is them that need to be beaten into submission. Once they are out of the way, their asteroids can be turned into part of the Vodoni supply route.
Jaid wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 am
then again, i suppose the abundance of total pushover crystal spheres in that area may be what drove that decision... frankly, i wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that in the aftermath the mind flayers (and to a lesser extent the neoghi, once they get their fleet back in order) move into those spheres in a big way to take advantage of the pathetically weak resistance; the elves lost a lot and probably won't be able to stop them effectively, and nobody else is likely to care. so that's how i would have the story go forward from the events in the adventure... with the vodoni fleets defeated, there are now an assortment of smaller fleets with poor organization scrambling to grab control for themselves of whatever they can get their hands on, and unable to control nearly as much of it... with the mind flayers and neoghi making significant gains for themselves (again, with probably the mind flayers gaining the upper hand because their fleet was on the winning side, while the neoghi were on the losing side and were probably extra-hated for betraying the other members of the fleet).
This sort of outcome adds value to Under the Dark Fist, to me. :)

If the PCs go along with a joint force and the neogi or illithids end up nabbing one or two worlds on the outskirts of the Empire, the government on the Rock of Bral might not even notice. :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Sharkbelly
Gnoll
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 am
Gender: male

Re: Under the Dark Fist now in POD

Post by Sharkbelly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 am

I ran Under the Dark Fist as the final adventure of a two-year Spelljammer campaign around 25 years ago. We had a blast with it. I agree that there is a lot of great potential there, as well as some head scratchers.

The thing about SJ was that it was miles wide and not very deep. Think about the amount of detail that went into a large city such Waterdeep. That was one city on one planet in one crystal sphere. Heroes could spend there entire lives there and never run out of things to do. Now, all of a sudden, there are dozens of crystal spheres with hundreds of planets with thousands of cities...

I also think the meta of the game has changed a lot over 25 years. We ran lots of campaigns that were simply a string of Dungeon adventures or printed modules one after another with little background to connect them. A lot of the SJ material is like that (Skull and Crossbows, anyone? :-)

Post Reply

Return to “Spelljammer”