Mike Mearls working on Nentir Vale material!

The civilized world has been reduced to a series of points of light in a great wilderness of danger and monsters.
The Book-House: Find Nentir Vale products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Mike Mearls working on Nentir Vale material!

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Don't get too excited, as it looks like this is just his home game, but Mike Mearls has been posting about reference sheets he has been designing for his Nentir Vale campaign! :cool:

First off is a Tweet from the 28th of December about a Moon Hills sheet:
Mike Mearls on Twitter wrote:I talked a few days back about changing up outdoor exploration, here’s my first stab at it. Quick draft, concept is that the key is to make regions more interesting. Here’s reference sheet for the Moon Hills for my Nentir Vale campaign.
He attached a screenshot of his Moon Hills Exploration but not the entire document.

Then there was another Tweet about half an hour ago about a Witchlight Fens sheet:
Mike Mearls on Twitter wrote:Follow-up to the outdoor exploration example from last night. Another region of the Nentir Vale, this one much more dangerous. Alterations I’ve made to the Vale poke through a bit more here. And yes, have noticed the disclaimer. Word uses my work template by default.
There was a Witchlight Fens Exploration screenshot attached to that post.

I wonder if he will ever release the entire documents. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Mike Mearls working on Nentir Vale material!

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 pm

I like it. This type of treatment could be helpful for any setting, but it's particularly fun to see it for Nentir Vale.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:57 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I like it. This type of treatment could be helpful for any setting, but it's particularly fun to see it for Nentir Vale.
Frustratingly, we can't see the entire documents. And I don't know what else Mike Mearls has been working on.

I hope these get put up on the D&D website.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:36 am

I hope they release this as an UA article or something. I'm canoning that the minotaurs of Sarhuun Khel used portals near the Moon Hills, though.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 am

Big Mac wrote:Don't get too excited, as it looks like this is just his home game, but Mike Mearls has been posting about reference sheets he has been designing for his Nentir Vale campaign! :cool: )
You can get excited now! :P

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 am

Zeromaru X wrote:I hope they release this as an UA article or something. I'm canoning that the minotaurs of Sarhuun Khel used portals near the Moon Hills, though.
What are your other two wishes? ;)

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:54 am

Mike Mearls has twitted about his take on the Nentir Vale gods. He changed some to be demon lords instead (and changed the primordials for demon lords in his campaign). He even created new domains, that maybe we will see in a future Unhearted Arcana (or maybe not)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:23 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:54 am
Mike Mearls has twitted about his take on the Nentir Vale gods. He changed some to be demon lords instead (and changed the primordials for demon lords in his campaign). He even created new domains, that maybe we will see in a future Unhearted Arcana (or maybe not)
Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't seen anyone mention it until now.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Personally, I don't see the necessity to change the lore of 4e to match's 5e lore... but to each its own, I guess.

If this mean they are going to acknowledge Nentir Vale as a proper setting alongside the classic ones, then I will be happy.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:56 pm
Personally, I don't see the necessity to change the lore of 4e to match's 5e lore... but to each its own, I guess.

If this mean they are going to acknowledge Nentir Vale as a proper setting alongside the classic ones, then I will be happy.
That's the way I think of it as well. I can ignore the changes, if I want, and if the world gets expanded upon, and they tell new stories in the world (and open it up to the DM's Guild for others to share their stories as well), I'm optimistic that would be a positive thing. Additionally, while I might not want to include some of the changes that have already been released (Raven Queen) or previewed (Mike Mearls' tweets), I at least feel like Mike Mearls understands the tone of the setting and is wants to maintain it, even if the details are different.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:39 am

Mike has shared his take on Erathis. As one of these 4e deities that didn't got any background lore back in the day, I really appreciate this!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:35 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:39 am
Mike has shared his take on Erathis. As one of these 4e deities that didn't got any background lore back in the day, I really appreciate this!
Great find! I ran a Nentir Vale campaign where the Church of Erathis featured heavily. I think it may have been the first time I used a non-evil organization as villains in a campaign, which made it far more complex than the standard enemies the players had faced. In my campaign, the church was taking the cause of expanding civilization and order too far, and had used this philosophy to subjugate the fey and promote the extermination of creatures that the church deemed unable to be civilized.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:38 am

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:04 am
Mike has been releasing more of his work on Twitter.

This time is Avandra, Kord, Melora and Sehanine's turn.
Awesome find! Ah, Kord. My wife's first 4e character was a paladin of Kord. I've had a soft spot for that deity ever since.

DMSamuel
Orc

Post by DMSamuel » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:41 am

In that twitter thread someone asked Mike if he was going to release a playtest packet for the Nentir Vale like they did for Eberron, his response:

"I’d love to. Matter of timing and bandwidth. Slow but steady."

Okay, NOW I AM GETTING EXCITED!!! DANGIT MIKE, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME????????
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Return to “Nentir Vale”